woppyvac

Reline advice

Ordered a line set from PD for my Katana 150. I've got the specs and measuring instructions. Will start tackling this sometime this weekend or next week. BUT being that it's going to be my 1st go - any tips, tricks, etc. would be welcomed! Ty.
Woot Woot!

Don't make your bar-tacks so wide that the thread skips back and forth over the entire line and stitches only on both sides of it. Make it narrow enough so that the stitches go through both the outer sheath into which it is fingertrapped, as well as the line which is finger-trapped inside.

I ain't no rigger, so don't listen to me.

First there are some DPRE's and FAA inspectors who will tell you as a senior rigger you are not allowed to replace the lines on a main. There are others who will tell you that you are allowed. I will tell you that it's not a good idea to do it by yourself without any resources other than those you've mentioned. Main line replacements done wrong have killed people. I won't get into the argument now but if you want the answer that most applies to you call your local FISDO and ask their interpretation. You may not want to here the answer.

Do you know what stitch patterns are used by PD? And what threads? Do you have those available? Hint: there are two DIFFERENT thread sizes used in relining a PD canopy and more than one stitch pattern.

Here is not the place to learn how to do it.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

First there are some DPRE's and FAA inspectors who will tell you as a master senior rigger you are not allowed to replace the lines on a main. There are others who will tell you that you are allowed. I will tell you that it's not a good idea to do it by yourself without any resources other than those you've mentioned.

I would be one to tell you that you are allowed. But I would tell you first that regardless of your certificate or ratings, you should not work beyond your knowledge, skill, materials, or equipment. I agree with councilman24: work with an experienced rigger before trying this on your own.

As for calling the FSDO, I don't think I'd ask them a question if I wasn't sure about the answer.

Mark

Get the right stitch pattern from PD to use, also make sure you have the right thread. Doing a single line with a zigzag can work for field line replacement, do a whole canopy with out a bartacker is an exercise in frustration trying to make it look nice and not like crap.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Why not just ship the canopy to PD and have them do the reline? I have done this a few times and have always been satisfied with the results. The cost and turnaround time was also reasonable.

If you are doing this for the experience, then please disregard this post and have a good time at the sewing machine.:)

Ether the line comes looking like a Y and you larks head the A line on and then make the loop around the B line attachment, finger trap, and bar tack. Or It comes as an A line and a B line and you loop them both on and finger trap and sew the cascade. Break lines you sew all the top attachment points.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

First there are some DPRE's and FAA inspectors who will tell you as a senior rigger you are not allowed to replace the lines on a main.

And I would be the one that would tell you that you can not do it because it is considered to be a major repair.

We have liberals that have tried to get around regulations by help writing AC's with guidance that opposes the regulations.

If you follow some of the guidance in the new AC verbatim, you would be in violation of the regulations (law).

If you need me to point these out let me know.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com