jcbfly

PEP Rigger in OK City?

WTF? Dewolf doesn't teach rounds? Are you serious?

I don't even know where to start on how wrong that is.

I recall a motion to repeal the military experience qualification at PIA based on lack of familiarity with squares. This is the same issue from the other side. How can you be a Rigger with out knowing how to pack a parachute? What happens when a butler walks in and they close the diaper wrong and kill the fuck out of some one. There is no such thing as a Half Back rating.

Lee
Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Hee!
Hee!
Maybe the FAA is a few years behind the fashions.

Other - more advanced nations (Canada, France and Switzerland) - certify young riggers to pack round OR square canopies.
For example, the last course I taught in Switzerland included 4 skydivers who were only interested in learning how to pack square reserves into modern (1-pin) skydiving containers.
OTOH the pair of glider pilots were only interested in packing rounds into PEPs.
The different groups wrote different exams. The skydivers had to answer a couple of pages of questions about AADs and 3-Rings, which were not on the glider pilot's exam. Meanwhile the glider pilots had to answer a bunch of questions about round canopies, that were not on the skydivers' version of the exam.
The different groups graduated with different ratings, issued by Swiss Skydive.

When you meet that rigger, how are you going to interview him ... to evaluate his expertise?

What is the oldest PEP you have packed?
Do you like Phantoms?
Can you certify a Phantom as "acid free?"
Do you know how to replace broken springs in Quick Ejector Snaps?
What type of closing loops do you install in Security Safety-Chutes?
Can you tighten up the loose, third pin on my Para-Cushion back-type PEP?
How do you prevent the pilot-chute from shifting sideways and poking me in my delicate back-side?
Can you dye these faded shoulder straps to match the rest of my PEP?

riggerrob

When you meet that rigger, how are you going to interview him ... to evaluate his expertise?

This must be a trick question. The right answer is "I don't pack Security Safety-Chutes.";)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

riggerrob

This must be a trick question. The right answer is "I don't pack Security Safety-Chutes, all of which ar 30 years old or older.";)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

OK, now that all the grumpy old riggers have chimed in about how shocking it is that today's riggers can't pack a round parachute…can somebody actually help me out with the name of a rigger in the OK City area that is well versed in packing PEP's?

jcbfly

OK, now that all the grumpy old riggers have chimed in about how shocking it is that today's riggers can't pack a round parachute…can somebody actually help me out with the name of a rigger in the OK City area that is well versed in packing PEP's?

Is it a back or seat type?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Try contacting the DZO at OSC.

http://www.oklahomaskydiving.com/index.html

I believe he will be able to help you out. They're an hour-ish outside of the city but he may know someone in the city.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message