theplummeter

Curv owners

Aight, so I bit the bullet and decided to ask RI directly. Angela reports that:

1. Magnetic riser covers are standard on Curv 2.0 (as reported by Skydive Mag). They were not on 1.0, which has tuck tabs (as reported at PIA 2013 and elsewhere).

2. A MARD is indeed still in the works, but not solid enough yet that they would comment in any way on the time frame. However, they do expect the system to be compatible with a retrofit, so if you have an existing Curv, it should be possible to equip it with the MARD when it comes out.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

DiverDave

According to this Skydivemag article from PIA, the Curv 2.0 includes magnetic riser covers: http://www.skydivemag.com/article/new-curv-released

As I understand it Sandy re-worked the design until he liked it.

My wife has the first generation magnetic covers on her rig and likes them just fine. They work as advertised but Sandy wasn't happy with the aesthetics and wanted to perfect them (typically Sandy Reid perfectionist thing). He offered to exchange my wife's for no charge but since she was happy with them she declined the offer.

Personally I don't see any aesthetic issues with the early design, but I would like to see the current version to see what the difference is.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Thanks Chuck, you summed it up well.

Just to reiterate: on very early Curv 1.0's we had a couple of different versions of magnetic riser covers. There was functionally no problem with them, but they were just not as clean looking as Sandy wanted them to be. The demand for the Curv was so high that we couldn't hold people off any longer while he worked it out, so that is why we went back to tuck tabs.

The Curv 2.0 was released on June 1, 2015 and does have magnetic riser covers. It is a standard feature, there is no extra charge. Our website is a bit outdated, we are in the process of building a new site. In the meantime, pictures of the features on the Curv 2.0 are available on our Facebook page.

And finally. . please, never hesitate to contact us! We'd much rather you contact us directly and get accurate information. And if you have a problem with your rig, CONTACT US. We can't fix a problem we don't know about.

DiverDave

Thanks for the authoritative answer! While you're on the topic, any updates on MARD for Curv?

2. A MARD is indeed still in the works, but not solid enough yet that they would comment in any way on the time frame. However, they do expect the system to be compatible with a retrofit, so if you have an existing Curv, it should be possible to equip it with the MARD when it comes out.

I got it directly from the horse's mouth, so to say, so it's about as authoritative as you're gonna get it :). Not that asking directly is ever wrong, and the answer arrived more than promptly when I asked, but I think it's good to have it in a reasonably centralised form in a searchable place, so that people don't have to email every single manufacturer individually just to learn what is available on the market.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

chuckakers

Sandy wasn't happy with the aesthetics and wanted to perfect them (typically Sandy Reid perfectionist thing). He offered to exchange my wife's for no charge but since she was happy with them she declined the offer.

Funny you should mention it, on my last trip to Eloy I had trash psycho packed my Crossfire into my container which I took to RI to have them look over. I rolled it a little narrower (and thicker) than intended, and Sandy told me to either pro pack or leave a wider roll so that I wasn't making a Curv look pregnant. ;)

i was looking at one the other day, and to be honest, i wasnt so impressed with all the jazz i've heard. risers and toggles wanted to pop out every time you looked at it hard enough. i didnt like that.

wouldnt want to change it for my micron, but that's just me.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

i was looking at one the other day, and to be honest, i wasnt so impressed with all the jazz i've heard. risers and toggles wanted to pop out every time you looked at it hard enough. i didnt like that.

I call BS. Never a riser pop in 1000 jumps on a Curv, and never a toggle fire in 6000 jumps on RI gear. Nor have I heard of one from any one jumping RI gear. The design not only reduces the risk of toggle fire, it essentially eliminates the opportunity.

DSE

***i was looking at one the other day, and to be honest, i wasnt so impressed with all the jazz i've heard. risers and toggles wanted to pop out every time you looked at it hard enough. i didnt like that.

I call BS. Never a riser pop in 1000 jumps on a Curv, and never a toggle fire in 6000 jumps on RI gear. Nor have I heard of one from any one jumping RI gear. The design not only reduces the risk of toggle fire, it essentially eliminates the opportunity.

why do i even see toggles on the pictures above then? is that an illusion?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

DSE

I've had two on my older Talon. 190 Triathlon in it.

One was my own packjob, the other was a paid pack at Summerfest.

Either could have been "packer error" in setting the brakes, but my technique involves a good hard yank on the steering line to check that they are correct, and neither left any damage to the "toggle tip pocket" that is typical of an improperly set toggle being yanked out during opening (I've seen that damage a couple times).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thread revival alert.... that said.... I love this thread!! It actually stayed on topic for like 60 posts and has a ton of good info in it.

Thanks everybody for the information about Curv's. I've had my eye on the design for years now and wasn't completely decided until reading so much about it.

I love that so many have great experiences and that there don't seem to be any major bitches, gripes or complaints. Cheers.

...Don't Get Elimated!!

I have had 2 on a talon2. The problem was the metric grommets on the slider have a smaller ID than the risers and toggles. Replaced them with real #8's and the problem went away. There are several other ways to fix that. Installing larger grommets was the quickest, but there are better ways. BTW, hard to pick apart a Curv! With a guy like Sandy on it, just think what the next one will be.

theplummeter

***Very nice,,does it come in larger sizes yet ?

Their largest size is the VC4, which according to their website holds up to 170 standard canopies. I would guess that you could get a Pulse 190 or Storm 190 in there, but I would contact them to be sure.

They also just put stock rigs in every size up on the website.

**c* me, so that's like a main and 169 reserves? :P
"Now, why do witches burn?"
"...because they're made of... wood?"
"Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?"
"Build a bridge out of her."

lomcovak

******Very nice,,does it come in larger sizes yet ?

Their largest size is the VC4, which according to their website holds up to 170 standard canopies. I would guess that you could get a Pulse 190 or Storm 190 in there, but I would contact them to be sure.

They also just put stock rigs in every size up on the website.

**c* me, so that's like a main and 169 reserves? :P

It now comes in Vc5 size. I just assembled one a week ago. I put a PDR176 up top and a Pilot 188 in the bottom. It's said to be able to hold a 193 reserve, but I'm glad I didn't have to try, the 176 was tight enough.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi,

I just put in an order for a brand new Curv 2.0 with a PDR 160, I put a Crossfire 149 on the order form, but what I'll actually be jumping is an Icarus Spain X-fire 153. I didn't specify the size of the container on the order form. Will both of these canopies still fit? If they make me a Vc3, will these fit, or will my rigger hate me, and will I hate myself, trying to pack a main into a Vc3?

This was before I realized that the Crossfire 2 and the X-Fire were not the same canopy and not the same size.

Thanks!! :)

PULL!! or DIE!!

In my experience an X-Fire 124 packs noticeable smaller than a Sabre 2 120 with a big logo. I had to shorten the loop around 1/2". I expect the X-Fire 153 to pack a tiny bit smaller than a Crossfire 149. But that is just an expectation, take it for what is worth.

Nice to see that the Curv logo feature can now be more of a V / dagger / arrow design, rather than the original pussy / Eye of Sauron design.

Guess it has actually been a while, but it used to be a bit of a dumb looking aspect to the rig.

Another thread bump, rather than starting a new topic.

I've just had a new to me, but used, Curv 1.0 packed up ready for jumping, and I'm not as impressed by it as I thought I'd be. The guy I bought it from is same height and very similar weight to me. It doesn't feel as comfy as I was expecting. The bit on towards the top of the backpad that doesn't have any padding on it, I can feel that on my back quite noticabley, bordering on uncomfortably. 

The one I got has the freefly pud with it, but I'm used to hackeys, and I'm hating the freefly handle so far. It just seems so much harder to comfortably grab than a hackey. 

Anyway, that brings me to a question: as I really don't like the freefly handle, I'm wanting to get it changed to a hackey. I've found a pilot chute with hackey and bridle (unknown manufacturer at this time) at a seemingly very decent price. Is it acceptable to just swap it in? Or are there rules regarding what pilot chutes and bridles are used in the rig?