theplummeter

Curv owners

Hello, this review is only after one year and 300 jumps based on quality, comfort, and price. I see you've already made your decisions, congratulations on your first new rig!

With only 20 jumps on a custom built Curv for my size, I will say the comfort is incomparable. On the flip side, because there always is one, even with .mil discounts offered by both companies, the price is also incomparable. As the saying goes with everything else in the world, you get what you pay for.

If it were me, re purchasing my first rig, I would figure out what I'm using it for. Fun jumping or to rely on to make a living? For the fun jumper who takes advantage of only a few lifts a month, the Wings is great, will probably make you a happy fellow, and save you hundreds of doll hairs. For someone who has to wear it 10 jumps a day, not so much! I really can't get away from the discomfort after anything abnormal (as noted, 10+ jumps a day, high pulls, crw work, etc.)

The only wear you can see on my Wings after 300 jumps is the straps. Both legs and chest have begun to fray and will probably need to be replaced before 1k jumps (my own speculation as I haven't had a new rig for that amount of time yet).

From multiple (10+) riggers' standpoints, the Wings is a pain in the as s to pack aesthetically pleasing and the Curv is simple. I'm not a rigger but was explained a little in "rigger terminology" about the Wings reserve tray having a couple inches of unnecessary seam rendering it extremely difficult to square up the reserve canopy making the reserve tray infested with wrinkles. Granted, YES, ANY rigger that spends enough time on it can make it wrinkle free, however, good luck finding that rigger that will guarantee no wrinkles.

Meh.. It's not much but I hope it helps someone debating on purchasing a rig later. I'm working on a much more detailed review of each and every piece of equipment I've bought since I started including alti's (neptune, viso), helmets (bonehead and cookie), ditters (optima 2 with the Hypoxic LED and neptune), and canopies (PD Storm, Falcon, PD Sabre2, PD Sabre1, PD Spectre, and soon to be an Icarus Omni).

Have a peaceful day all.
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.

It looks like Wichard (France) to me. I have the black hardware (photos attached) and it has their 'W' logo stamped in it. I'd guess that they're also doing the blackening treatment on it, rather than a third party.
Absolutely love the rig so far and RI were great to deal with. They managed to push it out a few weeks earlier than expected.

Edit (found this):
http://www.wichardamerica.com/wichard_en/stainless-ring-8-flat-black.html

There was an ad in Parachutist a few months back that advertised black stainless hardware, something about stealth, I'll see if I can find it and post the url here.

Honestly I wouldn't have ordered the black hardware except that I wanted a gray harness and figured the contrasting hardware would make an error in the chest strap routing or three ring setup more obvious. I'm also glad that the RSL shackle is still stainless for the same reason.

If I could just get an AAD to ship I would be posting a review of jumping the rig instead of how neat it looks sitting in my room in plastic.

Hey strife,

The Pulse 150 packs nice: no real "struggle" putting the D-bag in; the pin closes easy (with standard length closing loop); and the Curv does not look "preggo" at all. Also, you can press on the container and its relatively "soft" (see pictures)

On that note, I was also contemplating getting the Vc1, but Angela at RI strongly suggested the 150 Pulse did not fit in it. I have not seen a Vc1 to confirm that.

All in all, even with fast and shitty packs I have no trouble fitting the 150 Pulse in the Vc2.

Side note - I hear the Pilot ZPX packs even smaller and might be a canopy to consider if you go for the Vc1, but getting the right canopy should come fist.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more/other questions.

Blues skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side

DSE

This isn't a comprehensive video but it does show Sandy Reid and the prototype Curve and how it's packed. This was a rainy day conversation with Sandy. I now wish we'd set this up better but it's a good view of "what's inside."

Can't say enough good about my most comfortable Curv.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have a question for the experienced riggers out there. Is the pilot chute launch in that video something that you can expect in all the manufacturers with fully enclosed RPC? That little hesitation didn't look normal to me, but I'm not a rigger. I guess it is not, since Sandy jokingly mentioned at the end "don't show the pilot chute launch", but it is better to ask.

BTW: Is there any info regarding the MARD that RI was developing?

stayhigh

Has anyone with Curv experienced reserve flap not staying closed while sit flying??

Or not staying closed at all during any type of flying?

Yes... I jump with a guy that has this happen all of the time on his Curve. I like the rig though. I was torn between the Micron and the Curve for my new rig. I jump a Vector right now and my new Vector arrives tomorrow. I gotta say they are both great rigs imo.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I'm also curious about the MARD, since Curv looks amazing. What about magnetic riser covers, are those available? Been looking at some BPA videos and apparently magnetic covers are not just a convenience, but have important safety benefits.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Actually, another thread I found says that it originally had magnetic covers in pre-production models, but they were swapped out for tuck tabs in final iteration. May I ask where you found the info about magnetic covers being standard? I can't see anything on RI's product description page.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Actually, another thread I found says that it originally had magnetic covers in pre-production models, but they were swapped out for tuck tabs in final iteration. May I ask where you found the info about magnetic covers being standard? I can't see anything on RI's product description page.

You are totally right. For some reason I was convinced that magnetic riser covers were the default in the Curv. They are not, and they are actually not available. I've looked at the website, and I've looked at the videos from DSE in the PIA symposium in 2013. In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_UlUD6dddg , around minute 4, you get the explanation.

Ah-ha! Thanks. I wonder how well they work and how much difference there is between different tuck tabs. I like tuck tabs well enough as a closing mechanism, certainly beats velcro I have to fuss with on my Vector II. It's really about tuck tabs as the opening mechanism, because too stiff and it can literally break your neck if they fail to disengage during deployment before the canopy is inflated. So if Randy says they tested it and they can get tuck tabs to work, then perhaps it's true. Magnets are good because they really cannot fail in the way tuck tabs can -- try as you might, you just won't be able to make magnets "too stiff" as they open very easily and rely on streamlining the airflow to remain closed.