theplummeter

Curv owners

It's new container time. After eight years on a used container that never really fit me well to begin with I have saved up and am preparing to order a new one. I currently jump an Infinity, and while it's a great system I would like to try something else and have whittled it down to either a Curv or a Vector.

Both are similar in price when you deck them out, both come from reputable manufacturers, both are aesthetically pleasing but the build time for UPT seems ridiculous to me and the Curv just looks like a stellar setup for a slightly lower cost in less than a third the time.

The only hangup I have is the limited time that the Curv has been on the market and I have yet to see one in person. I will be in Eloy for two weeks next month and plan to try to get a good look at one then but was wondering if any current owners would share their experience as to how the rig has held up and what you like or dislike about it.

If you'll be in Eloy, you'll see dozens of them. Why not walk across the street from the DZ, visit Rigging Innovations, and see exactly how the Curv is made?
Can't speak highly enough about the comfort of the Curv.
For me, it also allows for improved backflying in my wingsuit, as it hugs my body more closely. Riggers have always liked repacking my Voodoo and now the Curv.

You can't throw a rock without hitting a Curv in Eloy. ;)

It's been on the market close to 2 years now I think. The larger ones only more recently, but the smaller ones for quite a while. I've only had mine for 2 weeks now, but it's pretty comfy.

Ask anyone at the DZ who has one, I'm sure he'she'd be happy to let you try it on the ground. I would.

Also, call RI and ask to talk to either Sandy, or Angela, and see if you can go to the loft and check things out in person. Or, buy Sandy a beer at the bar :ph34r:

Price wise, I found the Curv to be better priced than most containers (I'm not sure which dealer you are talking to, but Square2 has a good deal on them).

Remster

I don't have one - but will eventually.

Took a long hard look at Chuck Akers Curv a couple weeks ago...extremely well made and thought out - incorporates the best features from several current designs.

I didn't jump it but it felt as comfortable as any Racer I've had...definitely a thumbs UP! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

my curv is hands down the best rig ive ever flown. ive had wings javelin and a talon. comfort level is absolutely amazing, and visually its quite a stunning rig. im keeping mine for my entire skydiving career............no issues with the reserve flap for me.

i got a military discount on mine, and it is simply a SEXY ass rig
gravity brings me down.........

stayhigh

Has anyone with Curv experienced reserve flap not staying closed while sit flying??

Or not staying closed at all during any type of flying?

A friend of mine experienced issues with his reserve flap not staying closed on a VC3. We were told at lost prairie that some of the first sets of VC3's have the reserve flap tuck tabs in a position that will allow it to pop out like that on occasion. He was offered free shipping to send the rig to AZ and get that corrected. I think he was literally one of the first people to own a VC3 though so it was an early "bug", not sure when you got yours.

stayhigh

Has anyone with Curv experienced reserve flap not staying closed while sit flying??

Or not staying closed at all during any type of flying?

I jump a Curv and sell them too. One of the first ones I sold was to a lady who is exclusively a sit flyer. Her reserve pin cover was coming loose and the fix was simple. Sandy Reid (Rigging Innovations owner and all around design genius) spoke to her rigger and had him transfer more reserve canopy bulk to the top of the container. It hasn't been a problem since - and the reserve pack job looks better too.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I have a Vc1 and it is an amazingly comfortable rig. I freefly in it, swoop, and have done some tracking jumps since I've had it. I can't say enough good things about it and it's amazing how the leg straps DON'T MOVE! Sitfly, head down, tracking and the container stays glued to your body.

I'm on the East coast and I can't recall seeing another one thus far.

I can't say enough great things about the Curv!! It fits like a glove and all the features are standard. And it's sexy!

I have a Vc2 for freeflying and a Vc3 primarily for wingsuit jumps. No problems with the reserve pin flap on either. I've used the Vc3 for freeflying as well. Just got it a month ago, so it likely has any fixes. Plus, I'm a rigger and I do put more material in the upper part of the freebag anyway, per their seminars at the PIA Symposium last year.

I've been an RI customer since the late 90s, with three Talon 2s over the years. Best products and customer service out there, no question.

You will not be disappointed if you get a Curv. I've been jumping one for about 10 months and it is by far the most innovative and comfortable rig on the market. Make sure you visit RI while at Eloy. They can answer any questions, measure you and take an order, or keep the measurements if you feel a need to consider it for a while. Also, reserve flap security is not an issue on the Curv.

pms

Disclaimer: I don't sell gear, I don't work for any manufacturer and am not sponsored.

Just an update, I ordered a Curv while in Eloy. I ended up waiting out multiple wind holds so I called RI, drove around the water tower and spent some time talking with Angela and Sandy. They answered all my questions and showed me a bunch of stuff.

I went back to Square 2 and Margy measured me in about 10 seconds and placed the order for 20% below advertised retail. The order was placed 4/26/2014. On Friday 6/6 I received an email from Square 2 that they had the container and would ship it Monday, and yesterday FedEx ground brought the container. From the time of order to holding the Curv took one day under seven weeks.

This is a beautiful setup that fits perfectly. I have never had a custom built container for me before, and I can't believe how well it fits. My favorite part was tightening the leg straps for the first time and feeling the main pack tray pull into my back. Nothing fits like this does. Everything came as ordered. I can't wait to jump this thing!

Remster, if that was you hooking up a Samurai to a Curv in Eloy when the packing area was empty because of wind then that was me hanging out and asking stupid questions. Thanks for taking the time to let me look at the rig and chatting.

All told, kudos to RI for building an incredible product and providing great customer service, and to Square 2 as well for helping out with rig decisions, perfect measurements, and providing a discount lower than advertised anywhere else.

jumpwally

Very nice,,does it come in larger sizes yet ?

Their largest size is the VC4, which according to their website holds up to 170 standard canopies. I would guess that you could get a Pulse 190 or Storm 190 in there, but I would contact them to be sure.

They also just put stock rigs in every size up on the website.