LittleJumper

Learned the "art" of packing today...

Well, my opinion: I think packing takes not only skill and reptition...but patience and a certain amount of strength!!
I had a rough time with those rubber bands! Of course, my fingernails didn't help much. ; ) Now both my fingers & fingernails hurt after packing 5 times in a row. Oh well, there is value in learning this skill, as our instructor pointed out...you may go to DZ where there will be no packers. So, off I go next weekend to do another pack job & then jump from it!!
What you "think" you cannot do ...you CAN if you "think" about it ;)

We've all been there. Like you, some of us are STILL there (like ME! :). Packing large canopies into those little d-bags has always been a bitch. Sometimes I s-fold in reverse, sometimes I s-fold, normal. When you do find a good rythm to your packing (helps if you have your own rig) you'll start to get faster.
When you keep changing rigs (like when you're renting) it's hopeless. Try sticking to the same kind of conatiner while you're learning. I learned packing on Racers and Vectors... those are fun to close! (*POUND POUND POUND POUND --- CLOSE DAMMIT!!! *) =D
In God We Trust. All others pay cash.

"art" Obviously you haven't seen my packings. ;)
I've been trying to learn to pack off and on, usually on borrowed (different) gear, finally got to try on my own rig today and was about to give up and go home, then I started talking to the packer who has been packing for me previous weekends. She took the time to do a slow pack and explain a bunch of tricks to me, and now I can do it, and the thing even opens :)I used to get hung up after laying the main on the ground.. I wasn't wrapping it as effectively as I should, and it always went to shit when I tried to do the S-fold, the S-fold is still tricky for me to manage (I think I'm putting too much pressure on my knee holding down the first fold, thus squeezing the thing all over) but at least it's better, and with practice will probably get a lot easier. I can't wait till I can psycho-pack (I think it's mostly the name that I like)

Way to go Terri!!!!!
and you are right, it is an ART. I watch other people and wonder just how in the hell they can make sucjh perfect folds and everythign is so neat, all while I'm shoving the Omega in the d-bag.
So what did they have you pack? Oh and just wait til you get a new canoopy, think it's frustrating now? Hee hee hee...
Make up your own ending,let me know just how you feel....

I packed a dummy canopy...pretty easy for the most part. Then they had me pack the Omega 180 student rig. This is a 7 cell...a little different. BIG difference was trying to deflate the canopy down into a managable size to get into the bag. That was a BIG challenge! *sweat rolling down my face, trying to get that f__n thing into the bag* ! then i get to the bands....SHIT!! OK, lets just hope none of my nails, which I recently had done, wont break off.
Anyway...went well...no nails broke...but I'm gonna trim them for sure!!
What you "think" you cannot do ...you CAN if you "think" about it ;)