Doug_Davis

FF/Swoop Pants

I need something tough and durable for a canopy piloting course Im taking this weekend. So dont have time to get anything custom.
Anyone recommend a manufacturer that makes decent stock stuff? I havent really been able to find anything through Google except Pittz and I cant tell if they are still in business or not.

Need something tough? Do you plan on pounding in more than usual this weekend? If so you may want to invest more in pads to protect yourself:P.

But seriously, you shouldn't need anything more than what you are currently using assuming your profile is correct. If you're just worried about getting your pretty jumpsuit dirty you could always just get a cheap pair of jeans or grab a student suit from the rentals and use the money you saved to do extra hop n pops while you have a good coach

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCPE0232R/G3-Combat-Pant™

Jumped at Eloy a few times over the winter. Couldn't help noticing a lot of people, including instructors, wearing the pants at the link above. Bought a pair. While spendy, on par with or cheaper than some of the custom FF pants out there. I really like them. They come in a lot of different colors. Very tough (the knee pads don't come with the pants and are an add on item you wouldn't want, I don't think).

Doug_Davis

I need something tough and durable for a canopy piloting course Im taking this weekend. So dont have time to get anything custom.
Anyone recommend a manufacturer that makes decent stock stuff? I havent really been able to find anything through Google except Pittz and I cant tell if they are still in business or not.

I am so confused?? Plan on sliding out some downwinders in strong winds? Crash pants for a canopy class at under 100 jumps? What the hell are you going to be learning? Tough and durable? Sorry, like I said I am just confused.

btw....Whatever happened to Chicks Dig Scars?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

mjosparky

Try something under $100. Hell there only pants.
Sparky

http://www.bdudirect.com/p-1525-a-tacs-acu-trouser-poly-cotton-ripstop-f5209.aspx

I actually have a bunch of my old BDU's from service and even some of my old blue BDU's trousers from my time with NYPD but was looking for something a bit tougher than standard ripstop.

Joel45

Jumped at Eloy a few times over the winter. Couldn't help noticing a lot of people, including instructors, wearing the pants at the link above. Bought a pair. While spendy, on par with or cheaper than some of the custom FF pants out there. I really like them. They come in a lot of different colors. Very tough (the knee pads don't come with the pants and are an add on item you wouldn't want, I don't think).

Those are badass looking! :o And they come in regular ranger OD green! Ordering them in the morning! You are the man!

craddock

I am so confused?? Plan on sliding out some downwinders in strong winds? Crash pants for a canopy class at under 100 jumps? What the hell are you going to be learning? Tough and durable? Sorry, like I said I am just confused.

Well I figure Im up to 38 jumps now. Time for a sub-100 main. Trust my rear risers and never give up the gates! ;)

Doug, you really don't need swoop pants.
They won't offer you anymore protection than a pair of Levi's.
Condura on the butt, knee's etc simply offers abrasion resistance and doesn't prevent bones getting broken.

Do the course and learn about techniques in controlling your canopy and spend the swoop pant money on consolidating knowledge.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Doug_Davis

***Try something under $100. Hell there only pants.
Sparky

http://www.bdudirect.com/p-1525-a-tacs-acu-trouser-poly-cotton-ripstop-f5209.aspx

I actually have a bunch of my old BDU's from service and even some of my old blue BDU's trousers from my time with NYPD but was looking for something a bit tougher than standard ripstop.

Joel45

Those are badass looking! :o And they come in regular ranger OD green! Ordering them in the morning! You are the man!

craddock

Well I figure Im up to 38 jumps now. Time for a sub-100 main. Trust my rear risers and never give up the gates! ;)

Here is one made out of the same Mil-Spec 50/50 NYCO ripstop material but over $100 cheaper.
But it’s your money.

Sparky

https://www.kellac.com/h/Multicam-ACU-Trouser-50-50-NYCO.html
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

trigger

Doug, you really don't need swoop pants.
They won't offer you anymore protection than a pair of Levi's.
Condura on the butt, knee's etc simply offers abrasion resistance and doesn't prevent bones getting broken.

Do the course and learn about techniques in controlling your canopy and spend the swoop pant money on consolidating knowledge.

In all seriousness, I know. Its just the basic Flight 101 and 102 course. Its just as a new skydiver I of course dont always stick a stand up landing, especially when using a new rental canopy I'm unfamiliar with.
So rather than potentially messing up the nice new Tony suit I bought, I just needed something with some abrasion resistance.

Doug_Davis

In all seriousness, I know. Its just the basic Flight 101 and 102 course. Its just as a new skydiver I of course dont always stick a stand up landing, especially when using a new rental canopy I'm unfamiliar with.
So rather than potentially messing up the nice new Tony suit I bought, I just needed something with some abrasion resistance.

I would recommend that you go to Costco and get a pair of Kirkland jeans for about $12. That way you get some protection when you PLF or slide in on a landing and you wont really care if they get torn up. Save the money for jumping. Just my $0.02.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

wildcard451

***I had a pair of mx pants shipped to my door for like $23 bucks when I first started getting into competitive swooping...still wearing them.

B|

I've been competing in MX pants for 4 years.

I wear MX pants under my suit when I go to court.

wildcard451

***I had a pair of mx pants shipped to my door for like $23 bucks when I first started getting into competitive swooping...still wearing them.

B|

I've been competing in MX pants for 4 years.

And not one single gold medal. Proof you need capris to win.
Remster

Ended up with these...
http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-APRCPE0232R/G3-Combat-Pant%E2%84%A2

In OD green with the knee pads. They breathed well and were comfortable despite the heat Saturday at Deland. Slid in one landing Saturday and they didnt even show a dirt skid on them.

And with 2" velcro closure on the ankles Im sure I can eventually do some basic FF in them.