rocketdog

process of selling gear

Hello, thanks to this wonderful website I have someone interested in purchasing the system (buyer & I both have PayPal).

What is the general process, as I'm sure both he & I want to feel protected? Here are a few specific Qs:

#1 I'll insure when shipping, but I was thinking of having Buyer pay for it, then IF he/she wants it, subtracting from final price? What protection do I have- a deposit?
#2 Do people draw up contracts? Just a generic bill of sale?
#3 What if Buyer doesnt like/thinks it doesn't fit well?
#4 I assume I'd be sending to Buyer or his/her rigger. What if he/she doesn't have a rigger? I do not feel comfortable sending it to a DZ.
#5 Anything I should do before shipping?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE! Never sold my gear before :(

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

This is ALL good advice. I learned the hard way by trusting some jackass here on a DZ.com classified, just because he was a "master rigger" and had his picture on the dropzone's website... and I got hosed. >:(

------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Advice
Used Gear Inspections/Escrow
Written by Mike Gruwell
(Published in the June 2006 issue of Skydiving Magazine.)

If the used skydiving gear you are buying isn't local or hasn't been serviced by your local rigger recently, a "pre-buy" inspection should be a condition of the final sale. Having an established rigger, rigging loft or drop zone owner act as the middle-man in all used gear purchases not only protects the buyer, but also the seller.

As the potential buyer, you want to know the used container, canopy or automatic opener is as advertised and is airworthy. You also want to make sure the container actually fits you.

Once you've determined a certain piece of used skydiving gear seems to be the right size, condition and price, you will want to make arrangements to have the items shipped to your rigger for a pre-buy inspection. If this involves a container, make sure you arrange to be there after delivery to make the most important determination: fit. If the container doesn't fit properly, it's not going to matter if it's airworthy or not. Harnesses can be modified or resized, but the cost of harness work can add hundreds of dollars to your used gear purchase.

Before shipping, the seller will want to know you have the money for the gear. The rigger, rigging loft or drop zone receiving the gear for the pre-buy inspection can hold a check, money order or credit card information as an escrow service, pending the pre-buy inspection. If the buyer is happy with the gear, payment can be sent to the buyer with the gear staying in possession of the rigger until payment has cleared. This protects the seller from a bum buyer running off with the gear without paying.

The details of who pays for shipping to the rigger (and who would pay for the shipping back if the gear doesn't fit or isn't what was expected) should be worked out beforehand. It should also be decided who pays for the inspection/rigging of the gear (usually the buyer).

If the gear is as advertised and fits, payment is sent. Once payment clears, the seller contacts the rigger or drop zone to release the gear to the buyer. If the gear isn't as advertised, or there is extra repair work that needs to be completed by the rigger, then a discussion has to take place to decide if the gear goes back to the seller or if a lower price is negotiated.

Most of the time if the seller agrees to a pre-buy inspection and the buyer agrees to an escrow service arrangement of payment, the deal goes smoothly. More than likely the gear will be as advertised and the payment will clear.

New skydivers should beware and shy away from a skydiver selling gear that won't agree to a pre-buy inspection. And above all else, ask your trusted instructor or rigger about any used (or new) gear deal before purchase.

Contact Chuting Star and let them handle it. They will do a very through 3 page inspection for the buyer and act as a middle person. I used them recently and both parties were very pleased with the transaction. My guess is that any reliable dealer can do the same.
Dano

Okay cool -- is there a fee for said service?

Also, should I contact the DZO *or* a rigger at the DZ beforehand to give them a heads up/ask if they're okay being the middle man? Or is this standard?

THANK YOU BOTH!

rocketdog

Okay cool -- is there a fee for said service?

Also, should I contact the DZO *or* a rigger at the DZ beforehand to give them a heads up/ask if they're okay being the middle man? Or is this standard?

THANK YOU BOTH!

Chutingstar offers the escrow service for free. They have standard rates for the inspections. If you can't find it on their website, shoot Mike an e-mail. He's pretty quick to respond and will answer even the most obvious questions (I don't like to use the word "stupid").

Not all riggers are willing to offer escrow services. Most will perform the inspection. Fees will vary. Make sure you all 3 parties (buyer, seller and inspector/escrow) understand exactly what will happen, processes, costs and who will pay before you ship the stuff out.

You can search the phrase "rigger as escrow" for more info on the process. It's pretty straightforward and pretty standard.

Most people in the sport are honest, but the gear is worth enough money that there are some who will try to hose you. The honest ones usually understand you wanting to take reasonable precautions to protect yourself in the transaction.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Most people in the sport are honest, but the gear is worth enough money that there are some who will try to hose you. The honest ones usually understand you wanting to take reasonable precautions to protect yourself in the transaction.

Absolutely. And look out for phrases like "I got burned once and wont ship to a rigger." :| I thought for sure someone in this relatively close knit sport wouldn't screw a jumper fresh off starving student status, but they ARE out there.

Alright -- I outlined the process for this jumper (not sure if it's a newbie or not!?). So other than the email nothing is in formal writing, but I will surely contact the rigger/DZO before shipping anything. Thanks for all the help... will let you know if Buyer is okay with this.