smitqv

Paratec Speed vs Optimum

Call Jerome, he can explain all details for you.
Speed 2000 is a low bulk reserve that's been in the market
for a long time, It's proved to be a great reserve. Take a look
at this youtube link. It's a 120 size flown by a heavy skydiver.
Safe openings, good handling and landing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ-D2E4HMCA

Safe jumps
prego

Fandango

***So with all this comparison between the smart pack volumes and the Speed2000, the Paratec owners manual doesn't even approve the Speed2000 for use in an Icon Container.

Dan
It is allowed in an Icon container, the list you are referring to needs updating. It was a requirement set up by JAA ( the predecessor of EASA here in Europe.
Besides, it's TSOed and any Rigger may or may not determine compatibility.

Stefan

Thanks for clarifying Stefan.

As the manual stated, anyone considering the Speed2000 reserve could contact the manufacturer to check for compatibility anyway. And, with the TSO, as you say it is on the rigger to check too.

I currently have a demo Speed2000/190 canopy Stefan sent out. I've put 3 jumps on it, and I can confirm that a Speed2000/190 will pack into the same reserve tray a PD143 will. I plan to jump it some more to better review the flight characteristics, but so far it definitely opens quick and lands easily.
Brian

voilsb

I currently have a demo Speed2000/190 canopy Stefan sent out. I've put 3 jumps on it, and I can confirm that a Speed2000/190 will pack into the same reserve tray a PD143 will. I plan to jump it some more to better review the flight characteristics, but so far it definitely opens quick and lands easily.

Yes, but how tight? UPT's vector size chart lists smaller size speed 2000's than OPTs...

lyosha

***I currently have a demo Speed2000/190 canopy Stefan sent out. I've put 3 jumps on it, and I can confirm that a Speed2000/190 will pack into the same reserve tray a PD143 will. I plan to jump it some more to better review the flight characteristics, but so far it definitely opens quick and lands easily.

Yes, but how tight? UPT's vector size chart lists smaller size speed 2000's than OPTs...
Pretty comfortably. Within 1 lb on the pull force between a Speed2000/190, Nano/160, and Optimum/160
Brian

lyosha

***I currently have a demo Speed2000/190 canopy Stefan sent out. I've put 3 jumps on it, and I can confirm that a Speed2000/190 will pack into the same reserve tray a PD143 will. I plan to jump it some more to better review the flight characteristics, but so far it definitely opens quick and lands easily.

Are they definitely Speed 2000s on the UPT chart? It says Speed, not Speed 2000...
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Are they definitely Speed 2000s on the UPT chart? It says Speed, not Speed 2000...

since the introduction of the Speed 2000 and its new material in 1997 they only sell the Speed 2000. No 'normal' Speed.
There is also only the Speed 2000 listed on their Website and product portfolio from 2011.
Ore am I wrong?
Not entirely sure about this though.

http://www.paratec.de/
http://www.paratec.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Produkt-Portfolio__email_20081.pdf
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

GoneCodFishing

since the introduction of the Speed 2000 and its new material in 1997 they only sell the Speed 2000. No 'normal' Speed.

Is that right? Only asking 'cause i have a 2001 Speed reserve 170 which sort of packs like a 170...

As far as I know: yes
Certification here in Germany for the 170 Speed 2000 was 1998 though.
120-150 in 1997
Edited to add:
Earlier in this thread it was mentioned by a paratec staff member, that the Speed 2000 was TSo'd for the US market in 2003. Maybe they did sell some more normal Speeds there until then?

But:
Paratec is the only costumer for the specific speed 2000 material, that gets produced solely for them. With changing demands and production rates sometimes they did not have enough of the 2000-material and used normal f111 instead on some parts. Mostly ribs but sometimes more. Nevertheless they sold them as Speed 2000 reserves.
So when your speed packs like a normal 170 f111 you might have been lucky enough to get one of those hybrids ;) The difference in material haptic is pretty subtle though. I could barely tell them appart when my rigger showed me different samples
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends