smitqv

Paratec Speed vs Optimum

I am putting together a new rig and am looking to buy a reserve with a small pack volume to maximise the size I can buy. I am looking at both the optimum which is widely acknowledged as one of the best reserves out there and also the Paratec Speed (which packs smaller than the optimum and is considerably cheaper)

Just looking for some advice about the Speed as not that many people I know jump them...
What are the reasons to pay more and go for an optimum over a speed, if any?

Many Thanks,
Sophie

I jumped several sizes and its a good reserve from opening to landing. So, don't hesitate go for it.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Take a look at the Max Exit Weight recommendations for both the Speed 2000 and Optimum models for the size of canopy that you'd feel confident with in a high stress situation.

Speed2000 and the Optimum are both very easy to pack but I have no experience flying under the Speed models. PD weight limits appear to exceed most other manufacturers, if I've misinterpreted that fact please someone correct me.

Peace

mjosparky

Optimum – 106 = 258 sq. in.
113 = 263 “ “
126 = 286 “ “
143 = 327 “ “
160 = 353 “ “

Speed 2000 – 120 = 221 sq. in.
135 = 248 “ “
150 = 266 “ “
170 = 307 “ “

Sparky

You mean cubic inches?

Do any US retailers even carry paratec speed reserves?

Yes I did mean cu. instead of sq. Thanks for catching that.

I checked 2 different sources and they both came up with the same numbers. Now I can’t be sure if one didn’t copy the other but one originated in Europe and the other in the US.

See attachment.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

correct me if I am wrong but the way I understood it was that pd reserves are actually bigger than there model name. A pdr113/OP113 is something like ~125 square feet. (PIA measurements v's PD measurements???)

so a OP113 is a ~125 square foot canopy with a 263cubic inch pack volume which means it packs about the same as a Speed 2000 150 (which may or may actually be 150 sq feet).

It closes the gap a little bit though there is still a significant pack volume difference for a given square footage. Then of course there is also the Icarus Nano reserve which probably has different pack volumes again...

This is where pack volumes can become exceptionally confusing.

GOing on the info available, a Smart 99 is only 4 cu in smaller than a Speed 2000 150, so more or less the same, so it should then fit in an Icon I1.

I would probably gamble my life savings on a Speed 2000 150 not being able to be packed (safely) into an I1. If you could, I think an I1 with the Speed 150 would be my next container reserve combo.

I'm guessing a lot is down to how each manufacturer measured their volume. Does the volume just comprise the volume of the canopy material, or the material and the lines?

Has anyone got any actual real life experience in comparing volumes of Op.s and Speed 2000s?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Hi degen,

Does the volume just comprise the volume of the canopy material, or the material and the lines?

IIRC the PIA method was links, lines & canopy. No bag, toggles, etc.

Send me your email address & I'll send you a Mil Std that has a procedure for measuring canopy volume. It is too large to upload as an attachment here.

JerryBaumchen

PS) And thanks to mjosparky who provided me with that Mil Std. :)

Jerry, cheers for the offer the mil std, but I'm not likely to ever be in a position to measure anything like this myself. I just like to follow what's going on!
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Jerry and everyone on this thread

The test you mentioned here was performed by Sandy Reid of Rigging Innovations in 2003 !! at his PIA authorized test facility in Eloy Arizona before the background of TSOing the Speed 2000 and the Next rig in the US

I have attached the first page of this report.
The Speed 2000 Reserve uses a highly innovative fabric which is proprietary to Paratec since it's development started in 1997.
(the UK members here might like the fact the Speed fabric is a true Brit :-)

Our driving force was to enable the user to pack more life saving surface area into his reserve container and still look good out there.
One may deservedly call the Speed 2000 the prime father design of low bulk reserves

So you may trust our publisized figures

Blue Skies

Stefan Ertler
Paratec, Germany

PS : I have blackened some information as we are against
comparative advertising !
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.

Fandango

The Speed 2000 Reserve uses a highly innovative fabric which is proprietary to Paratec since it's development started in 1997.
(the UK members here might like the fact the Speed fabric is a true Brit :-)

Is it not commercially available then? Can you provide me with the name of the mill perhaps?:)

Without intending to come across facetiously, given your pack volume figures are reliable, could I genuinely expect to be able to fit a speed 2000 150 in an icon i1 given that it fits a smart 99 which has a nearly the same quoted pack volume?

Genuine question.

Hi, just checking the facts of your Icon manual:

Size: I1, SMART Reserve 99, Reserve size range: 252 cuin min-262 cuin, Main canopy: 90-96, Main size range: 304 cuin min-311 cuin max.
And that are the facts for the Speed 2000 reserve canopies which you can also check out on Paratec's webpage: http://www.paratec.de/en/products-parachutes/57-2/

Canopy Size:150, Max suspended weight(kg): 88, Max operating speed: 150 KTS, Packvolume in cuin: 266.

Both, rig and the Speed reserve canopies are tested and certified according to the same TSO C 23d, so there's a difference of 4 cuin between the recommended max size for a reserve canopy of your rig manufacturer and our Speed 2000 150 sqft reserve canopy.

NOBODY GONNA GIVE YOU THE ADVICE TO PUT A RESERVE INSIDE YOUR RIG WHICH DOESN'T FIT ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER'S MANUAL, and the manufacturer's manual is the only law for us riggers! Of course 4 cuin isn't the problem but then you've got also to compare your main's size etc.

Well, you're right, the Speed 2000 150 is nearly packing as low as a 99 Smart Reserve, with a difference of 4 cuin.

I guess I've packed something about 40 Speed 2000 reserves in all type of rigs in the last 4 weeks, it's really low bulk comparing to other ones. Also my experience, cutting away my main, proofed that the Speed 2000 isn't just a name, it's a fact. The openings are great, really fast, on heading and it's really easy landing it without any problems. That's why they're also preferred for our aff students. Never jumped a 7cell before, they are getting them down like some pros, safe without any problems.
The Speed 2000, if packed like it should be, doesn't fail!

Well, also if you should decide JUST for a 135 sqft Speed 2000, there still gonna be 37 sqft more to safe your ass than on any other 99 reserve.

Just give Paratec a call or send them an email, they're looking forward to help you on your questions or for you other guys to find a dealer nearby.

Greetings from Germany

Eddie

Hi Brian, if you like I gonna try to find out which US dealers are selling them or having some demos for testing purposes. Here in Germany it isn't really a problem to get one directly from Paratec. When I've got some news for you, you'll get them.

Eddie

88 kg!!! this isn't the max weight. it's the max recommended weight. check the TSOs, all canopies are tested and certified for a higher max weight, just that all of the manufacturers recommend less... that canopies are still perfect in their properties, openings, flight, landings etc.

If you want to swoop your reserve, go for it ;-) other people just want to save their lifes with it.

PS: Max operating weight is 115 kg, although the Speed 2000 is tested with much more weight. But like I said before, follow the recommendations...all the other stuff is playing on your own risk :-) and there isn't always the perfect malfunction, just think of the case that you're knocked out...do you really wanna have a wingload of 1.5 and higher on your reserve?