ikebonamin

How close is this?

that shit is not fucking funny in the slightest :| they really need to have a chat about what went wrong on that dive.

I would personally ground them for it until they had learned their lesson on what went wrong to the dzowners satisfaction.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Through the whole replys no onw ever mentioned. who was the most at fault? The other jumper flailing seemed to be behind the camera guy. The video shows no attempt to relocate him. The canopy with a 180 off heading opening .No attempt to do a down and right riser turn.Did the other guy even know as he was lower and going straight, was there any communication. If my canopy opened that way I would try packing changes to over come the turns, or get a different canopy.How many others were on the load? If yuo cant keep track of one, do solo hop and pops, and learn to pack

> Calibrate your eyeballs.

:-) :-)

VFR skydivers are a dying breed.

I think it's a better approach too,
but you can't really blame people
who've been raised as IFR skydivers
for suggesting what they have been
taught.

Plus every time I got new glasses
I'd have to re-calibrate ..

Skr

not saying to only use a ditter its a 3rd back up to keep you aware, i now where im at most of the time and 1 time so far the ditter has kept me from pulling low, when you have lots of jumps and are able to stay really current your eyes can judge the alti, but take some time off , or low jump numbers and you lose that callibration.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

not saying to only use a ditter its a 3rd back up to keep you aware, i now where im at most of the time and 1 time so far the ditter has kept me from pulling low, when you have lots of jumps and are able to stay really current your eyes can judge the alti, but take some time off , or low jump numbers and you lose that callibration.

and the more gadets you rely on and you never get that "callibration"

The SIM recommends using 2 audibles. I use two. We had two freeflyers both with thousands of jumps a piece go low because one did not have one and the one who did, the batteries were dead. They had a talk and the one without got one and the one with bought another and now jumps with two. They are tools and never should be soley relied upon, but they do help with altitude awareness.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

A ditter does NOTHING to make you "aware"! :S
Although it could "wake you up" out of that false sense of "awareness" it seems is being promulgated herein. ;)

Not ranking on you here. ...Really. Just take a moment to THINK though about this. Ever heard of a pavlovian response? At only 85 (+/-) dives, what do you think "learning" by the "ditter method" will create in you?

Just think about it.
Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

...its a 3rd back up to keep you aware,

No...it wakes you up when you are NOT altitude aware.

i now where im at most of the time

Now this just scares me. It doesn't scare or say anything to you?

and 1 time so far the ditter has kept me from pulling low,

Because you were unaware of your altitude and it had to slap the shit out of you to wake you up.

You paint a sad picture of the general attitude of skydivers today.

Here's what you can do to help yourself.

Leave the "ditter" on the ground. Put an altimeter on your wrist.
Make a series of solo jumps doing nothing but checking your altitude and looking at the ground.
I'm at 8K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 7K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 6K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 5K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 4K...here's what it looks like.

Then do a series looking at the ground first and comparing it to your altimeter.
This looks like 8K...my altimeter says 7. Oooops
This looks like 7K...my altimeter says 6. Oooops
This looks like 6K...my altimeter says 5. Oooops
Repeat the series until you can get it right within a couple of hundred feet or so.

Of course none of this will do you any good if you have to have the "ditter" to remind you to check altitude.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The SIM recommends using 2 audibles. I use two. We had two freeflyers both with thousands of jumps a piece go low because one did not have one and the one who did, the batteries were dead. They had a talk and the one without got one and the one with bought another and now jumps with two. They are tools and never should be soley relied upon, but they do help with altitude awareness.

No where do you say that those two freeflyers ever actually checked their altitude...all they did was get a "tool" to slap themselves awake when they had no clue as to their altitude. Waking you up does NOT mean you are altitude aware.

They are worse off now than on that jump because they are depending on an audible to tell them where they are in the sky. Please tell them to use their eyes AND an altimeter.

No where do you say that those two freeflyers ever actually checked their altitude...all they did was get a "tool" to slap themselves awake when they had no clue as to their altitude. Waking you up does NOT mean you are altitude aware.

They are worse off now than on that jump because they are depending on an audible to tell them where they are in the sky. Please tell them to use their eyes AND an altimeter.

> they are worse off now than on that jump because they are depending on an audible to tell them where they are in the sky.

If you read the last sentence in my post you would see that I stated that they are tools and never should be soley relied upon, but they do help with altitude awareness. I know that if you knew these guys and how safe they fly and how much experience they have you would not be saying that. They went low they fucked up, they learned from it. Never did I say anywhere that they don't use their eyes and altimeters. They just obviously didn't that jump. The point is, is that they learned from it and hopefully others could learn something from what they did.

"They went low they fucked up, they learned from it. "

Apparently, from your post, what they learned was to get electronics and batteries.

Not the lesson I would want anyone to learn from the mental lapse.

"hopefully others could learn something from what they did."
Hopefully others will learn to look for themselves instead of depending on gadgets.

Please think about it and apply it to your own situation.
Get too dependent and a dead battery cold turn into a dead skydiver. I hope the message gets through.

along with getting an audible they talked and agreed they got lazy and needed to get their shit together. If you would spend more time reading what i said about not relying on audibles and just use them as a tool you would see that electronics and batteries weren't their one and only answer and in fact wasn't spoke of til later in the conversation. NO WHERE DID I SAY THAT THEY WERE OR ARE DEPENDENT UPON THEIR AUDIBLES. Guess I need to be more clear. You ASSUMED that me and my friends were dependent upon our audibles or thought that you should be. WHICH WE DON'T. I hope the message gets through.

...its a 3rd back up to keep you aware,

No...it wakes you up when you are NOT altitude aware.(i think that is what they were invented to do)

and 1 time so far the ditter has kept me from pulling low,

Because you were unaware of your altitude and it had to slap the shit out of you to wake you up.( this one time was because a hand was over my alti and i was relying on the rest of the team to be aware as well)

Leave the "ditter" on the ground. Put an altimeter on your wrist.(always wearing one on my wrist, and its nice and big so i can see it at an angle)
Make a series of solo jumps doing nothing but checking your altitude and looking at the ground.(i do that every time i have a extended break of 2 weeks or more)
I'm at 8K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 7K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 6K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 5K...here's what it looks like.
I'm at 4K...here's what it looks like.

Then do a series looking at the ground first and comparing it to your altimeter.
This looks like 8K...my altimeter says 7. Oooops
This looks like 7K...my altimeter says 6. Oooops
This looks like 6K...my altimeter says 5. Oooops
Repeat the series until you can get it right within a couple of hundred feet or so.

Of course none of this will do you any good if you have to have the "ditter" to remind you to check altitude.
[:/]

i dont rely on it to remind me, i have to make sure as a back up to my wrist mount, in case it breaks, or i cant read it
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak