RedundantRigger

Soft link tacking

I'm wondering what others do as well. I don't actually tack the tab itself. Instead I "sandwich" it inside the riser by tacking the riser and allowing the tab to float freely up and down but not side to side.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RedundantRigger

Quick question.
When tacking down the soft link tab do you:
1. Tack it to one of the sides in the riser loop
or
2.Tack it to both sides, so that it becomes like a sandwich riser,tab,riser (I understand that the knot goes inside the loop/sandwich)

http://www.chutingstar.com/more/skydive/expert-advice/rigging

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

jumpsalot-2

You tack slinks ? I've never heard of that. How about PD slinks with the steal rings ?

I can honestly say that I've never tacked PD slinks that had steel rings.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

theonlyski

***You tack slinks ? I've never heard of that. How about PD slinks with the steal rings ?

Aerodyne makes soft links with steel rings.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

******You tack slinks ? I've never heard of that. How about PD slinks with the steal rings ?

Sparky

I know, but PD doesn't. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Aerodyne says to tack through both sides of the riser THROUGH the steel ring, but still allow the ring to "float" a little.

The hand-tack serves two functions: first, it prevents the slider grommet form slapping the end off the soft link. Granted, it would need hundreds of slaps to wreck a soft link, but who wants to take the risk.
Secondly, the hand-tack helps prevent the link for opening. ... a slim possibility on the first-generation soft-links made by Parachutes de France, but almost impossible on newer soft-links that close with lark's head knots (Aerodyne, Flight Concepts, PD SLinks, Precision, etc.).

OTOH, I hand-tack all Performance Designs SLinks through one side of the riser and the end of the cloth tab. Again, leave a little room for the cloth tab to "float."

riggerrob

Aerodyne says to tack through both sides of the riser THROUGH the steel ring, but still allow the ring to "float" a little.

I've always found the Aerodyne soft link tacking instructions a little confusing for a few reasons:

• Step 1 shows the needle piercing one side of the riser (which doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't later pierce the other side, of course)
  • Step 2 shows the needle piercing both sides of the riser.
  • Step 3, which seems to show the finished tacking before the knot is tied, shows the thread piercing only one side of the riser.

In step 3, all the stitches go through the middle of the ring - so if it's only tacked to one side of the riser as shown, the ring isn't actually secured to the riser (though the knot in the middle of the ring may help prevent the link from rotating).

This is probably a bit more nitpicky, but I've also noticed:
  • Step 2 shows the needle (with doubled thread) making a single vertical stitch.
  • Steps 3-8 show two horizontal stitches.

The knot shown after step 8 seems to fit with the stitches shown in steps 3-8 but not with what was done in step 2. While the risers aren't shown in that drawing, it appears to show that only one riser is involved, given that we know the knot is tied inside the riser.

Or have I just missed something obvious? :$

[inline aerodyne_tacking.png]
Click the image to see it full size.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

theonlyski

*********You tack slinks ? I've never heard of that. How about PD slinks with the steal rings ?

Sparky

I know, but PD doesn't. :P

Sorry about the miss quote (PD). I should have said slinks with steel rings. I've gone thru some gear, and have steel ring slinks and soft tab slinks on different rigs. My second to last new canopy was a Storm. I thought the steel ring slinks came with the Storm, but I am obviously wrong. I don't know anyone who tacks slinks. Mine (and others I've seen) tend to keep their "crown" and not rotate, although the soft tabs stay in between the risers better. The steel ring type tend to stay low just outside the riser set on one side or the other (and stay put).

Life is short ... jump often.

I only tack mains. I refuse to tack reserves and it annoys me on the riggers that do since I have to tear the tacking out since I will ALWAYS fully insect the routing and its too hard to do when its trapped in the risers on some rigs so I have to cut the tacking and it just scares me too much to always have to take a sharp object to the reserve risers.

For most I just tack both risers together with the tab in the middle.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of gold here.
I never tack reserves.
I ended up tacking to only one side.
I figured it made more sense because:
It's easier to ensure the "slack" for the tab.
One can look inside the loop to inspect it later on without opening the tack.
Easier and safer when you have to cut the tack because you have the tab as a buffer against the riser.

PhreeZone

I only tack mains. I refuse to tack reserves and it annoys me on the riggers that do since I have to tear the tacking out since I will ALWAYS fully insect the routing and its too hard to do when its trapped in the risers on some rigs so I have to cut the tacking and it just scares me too much to always have to take a sharp object to the reserve risers.

For most I just tack both risers together with the tab in the middle.

I always try to leave a little slack in the hand-tack to allow future riggers to easily slide the end of the link far enough to the side that they can inspect the lark's head knot.

Trivial note: when Parachutes de France introduced the first re-usable soft links, they set snaps in their risers. The (male-only) part of the snaps allowed you to easily secure the link's steel ring.
Purists wolul only install Parachutes de France links on main riser made by P. de F.
The rest of us just hand-tacked.
Hah!
Hah!

... The steel ring type tend to stay low just outside the riser set on one side or the other (and stay put).

.................................................................................

Bad habit. You are at risk of the slider grommets trapping the soft link between two pieces of metal. After repeated slapping, the soft link will fail.
Have you ever tried the trick of cutting rope with a (smooth-faced) hammer?

The primary reason for hand-tacking soft links is to hide the joint from the slider grommets.

With tabs I tack the risers to form a pocket that they float in. With rings I tack through both layers of the riser and through the ring. I don't tack that one very tight and just let it float in there.

RedundantRigger

Quick question.
When tacking down the soft link tab do you:
1. Tack it to one of the sides in the riser loop
or
2.Tack it to both sides, so that it becomes like a sandwich riser,tab,riser (I understand that the knot goes inside the loop/sandwich)

If you fold the sides of the riser end inward appropriately (equal on both sides), finesse the SLink tab in the center between the sides, then "set" the SLink with some good tugs, the side folds should trap the tab. It's been working for me. I don't tack main or reserve risers.