Brethalamue

Help a newbie with a new wings container.

Hello! I am a skydiver from Virginia who just recently got his A license. I only have 40 jumps. I'm now getting my own gear as I am wasting lots of money renting every weekend! for the record I am a 5'10" male weighing 165-170# slim average build.

As I said I'm getting my own gear and was going to buy all used but was lucky enough to receive a 50% off a new wings container of my choice. Now I know that you have to go straight through the manufacturer so the base price is $2000 so I am looking at a grand plus shipping and hackey and what not. Then I was going to fill it with a used main, reserve and AAD for now. I had a few questions listed below that I was hoping some people on here could help me with.

- I am looking to jump a 190 for a while until I improve my canopy skills and take a few course before thinking about downsizing. What size container can I get? One the goes from 190 down to a 170?

- As for the colors...I'm not really interested in getting super fancy with it and want to save money for other items like an audible and the parachutes. What color does the mid flaps and pinstripes come in if you don't want to pay the extra option price for this? White?

- What type of rings do I get? Mini ring type 17, mini ring type 8 or large rings? Also what size risers 18, 20, 22, 24?

-Since I'm such a new jumper should I worry about paying the extra $150 for articulated harness? I plan on getting intro freeflying down the road but my city just built a brand new wind tunnel and I plan on learning my freeflying skills there.

Any help will be very much appreciated! I plan on ordering the container this week or next and then while waiting for delivery start looking for canopies!

Blue Skies!

I'll help with what I can.

You should check with Wings as to what the final cost of a container will be. It *might* be that the $2000 for a new container already contains a discount.

Check out the Wings site, they have containers that are already built and ready to ship. They vary in color and options, but you get the container sooner.

Typically, you can go one size up/down from the recommended canopy size for the container. So a container sized for 170 might fit a 190, down to a 150. Also, there are low-bulk canopies that pack smaller than others. A Pulse 190 packs about the size of a Sabre 170.

I went with all mini rings and type 17 risers on my rig. I think they look cleaner. Standard riser length is 22" I think. You probably wont know if you want something else until you try it.

How long are you planning on having the container? If you plan on using it for a long time, $150 for articulated harness is a cheap investment vs buying a new container later or paying to have it added.

Their price list is a bit weird:

What is the difference between articulated vs articulated freefly? They are the same price, so it would seem that it would not mean the difference between hip rings only vs hip and chest rings. I think chest rings are not worth paying any extra at all for.

What is the difference between stainless steel std vs deluxe? Perhaps std means that not everything is stainless? Definitely go for all stainless if that is the choice.

Those 2 points are likely described somewhere else on their website, but it would be wise for them to give some indication of what an option means at the place where the price of an option is listed.

Regarding the decision about how big of a main you should plan for? You are right to figure on a 190 main. Do NOT let others tell you to plan for a smaller main. You should tell your dealer to let the mfg (sunrise rigging) to decide what size container to build - giving them a specific main and reserve that you will put in it. Do NOT try to overthink what size you should want so that you can later downsize, blah, blah. Just get the right size for what you will put in it NOW, and let Sunrise decide what that should be. You will still be able to downsize later, don't worry about that. Since you haven't bought canopies yet, tell them something generic, like a Pilot 188 or SabreII 190 or whatever, and a smart 190 or PD193 reserve or whatever. When you do find your canopies, you might still be able to let Sunrise know in time for them to make any final adjustment to the size, although it won't likely make an impact.

Only if you know for sure that you will buy one of the smaller packing mains (hybrid or ZPX fabric) should you be getting a container that is normally sized for a 170 main. Since you are figuring on buying used canopies, then you should not assume you will not find one of those low bulk canopies. Used 190 mains are in relatively short supply, so their price is high compared to the more plentiful smaller canopies. This drives some people to buying a new main because the money saved on a used canopy is not as great as they might have figured. You must keep a close eye on the classifieds, be ready to act quickly (but still protect yourself from being scammed by having it go through a trusted third party if you are buying from an "unknown"), and have people at your DZ keep you informed of anything that might be right for you. Good luck.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

... Standard riser length is 22" I think. You probably wont know if you want something else until you try it. ...

.......................................................................................

Riser length is determined by arm length. When in doubt, but risers a bit too short ... to ensure that you can easily grab toggles, dive loops, slider cords, etc. while hanging under canopy.

shift

Typically, you can go one size up/down from the recommended canopy size for the container. So a container sized for 170 might fit a 190, down to a 150. Also, there are low-bulk canopies that pack smaller than others. A Pulse 190 packs about the size of a Sabre 170.

This is why he really needs to talk to the manufacturer. Most manufacturers what you have written is true. for a wings, the size they say it is sized for is the MAXIMUM size so you do not want to order a container sized for a 170 then try to shove a 190 into it.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Of the last 3 containers I have purchased new, none would fit a canopy larger than it was sized for unless it was a low bulk main. (Pulse). The containers are Sunpath and UPT. I don't think the up one, down one works with new containers these days.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

It's funny, I asked *exactly* the same questions :D.

sundevil777

What is the difference between articulated vs articulated freefly?

The articulated freefly wings (model SRI 106) was made for a European dealer who wanted a tighter fitting rig than the articulated wings (SRI 101). You can freefly in both. I ended up getting the articulated wings.

sundevil777

What is the difference between stainless steel std vs deluxe? Perhaps std means that not everything is stainless? Definitely go for all stainless if that is the choice.

Stainless standard is just the 3 rings are stainless (I think...). Stainless deluxe means all metal hardware is stainless (e.g. leg buckles, etc)

As for the sizing, if you're ordering new, as sundevil says, let them know what you're putting in it and they'll size to suit.

Other things to consider:

Wings do a main-activated reserve deployment system (MARD) which is intended to work in a similar fashion to UPT's skyhook. This can be retrofitted and there's a whole section on whether or not you should have one.. I got one.

They do a semi-stowless bag. This is okay but not worth the extra $100 having used both IMHO.

I also got the spacer foam backpad on my new container. This is much comfier than my old one and worth parting with the extra cash for.

They do both swoop risers and normal ones. I think both have dive loops but with the swoop ones the brakes are stowed differently.

Enjoy! :P

I probably know you. I jump at Suffolk. Talk with Tim the master rigger if he's there tomorrow. I have a W13 and alot of the military guys have wings because they were giving great military discounts for a while. Like someone mentioned earlier, talk with the manufacturer about what you should need at 30 jumps.

GET THE SPACER FOAM BACK AND LEG PADS!!!!!!!

Best possible money you can spend for an option. Seriously makes all the difference in the world. I bought a new Wings for my first container, with a 40 or 50% discount on a stock container. with spacer foam, reserve boost, and a couple other options it came out to close to $2k.

I have a Storm 170 in mine and it was sized 150/170. The storm fits pretty easily into except for the fact it was new also which made packing a little frustrating.

Enjoy your new gear.

My first container was a Wings W14, I ordered for a Sabre 1 190 and Tempo 170, it was a good fit. Later I tried a Sentry 170 and it fitted fine too. The last main I had with that container was a Safire 2 159 (with the Tempo 170) also good fit, so in my experience it was a good size container for me as a newbie and later on as I downsized from 190 to 159.
Alejandro
B27585