iwanttofly

Wings W14. Could fit 7cell 150 Yes or No

I was wondering if anyone here has Wings W14 container and what is smallest canopy they could SAFELY fit inside of it. Wings said that their system shows only 190 for such container. I have a 7cell 190 and would like to end up with 7cell 150. I know 170 fits. Anyone tried 150?

You can fit anything you want into it, it will probably work most times.

The company who makes your container gives you guidelines for safety reasons. I really think you should listen to them. I know it sucks to spend the money especially if you change your mind. If money is an issue just think about how worthless that container will be once someone has worn it while impacting the earth at 100 mph (I figure the PCIT will slow you down about 20 mph)

Seriously though. Just because someone has done it in the past or is doing it doesnt make it safe. Your life is on the line. Trade the container, buy a new one, or use a canopy that will fit properly. You mentioned going down 2 sizes from what the manufacturer is recommending.... its time for a new container. Just one more thing, many of the seven cells on the market are smaller bulk canopies and pack smaller. You may be making the container even softer depending on what 7 cell you have.

Follow the manufacturer sizing guidelines, period. Email or call the manufacturer if you have a question about the chart and seek their guidance. I'm sure they will be happy to answer your questions.

If you're looking for validation about leveraging life saving equipment outside of OEM specifications, that's your life in your hands.

Mother Earth is much harsher than any comment on this forum....

iwanttofly

I was wondering if anyone here has Wings W14 container and what is smallest canopy they could SAFELY fit inside of it. Wings said that their system shows only 190 for such container. I have a 7cell 190 and would like to end up with 7cell 150. I know 170 fits. Anyone tried 150?

I'd give them a call. The W14 is one of the odd ones where they just list one size of main where 95% of their other rigs list a range (2 sizes on the larger rigs, it seems). They'll be happy to help...sizing combinations are a pretty common question - especially at Wings, it seems, due the way they tend to list their sizing.

I'd also try to avoid being clever with the reserve sizing with a pdr. If you want to go bigger ask them about a size larger optimum. Ask.

iwanttofly

It seems like you are answer shopping. In any container the size canopy you can “SAFELY” put in it is want the manufacture recommends. Anything else and you are “test jumping”.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Last time I sent e-mail to Wings I was told that it shows 190 as main and that is what they have to tell me. Sending one more mail to them today and in worst case I just buy another container. All I was looking for is someone with the same container that could tell me I did it but it was too loose or it was just fine. Another way could be getting demo canopy and let rigger decide if it fits. I just know there are people out there with W14's and probably went through the same thing as me. BTW they have a container 150 -170 main but my reserve size would have to drop as well and that I do not want to do. I'll post Wings reply and then we could close this post ;)

iwanttofly

BTW they have a container 150 -170 main but my reserve size would have to drop as well and that I do not want to do. I'll post Wings reply and then we could close this post ;)

Wings will, I believe, custom build you a container for a larger reserve and a smaller main.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I have a W13 and have had a Sabre 170, a Sabre 2 150 a Stiletto 150 and I currently have a Samurai 136 in it. The container is built for a 170 main. The 136 fits fine because the samurai is an airlock and has more packing bulk than a non airlock of the same size. If you know someone with a 150 7 cell maybe they will let you pack it into your container to see how well it fits.

When ever I had a question about my Wings I called Sunrise directly. They were always helpful.

Here's the number
(813) 788-1910

Just a question...... why don't you want your reserve to downsize as well?

I ask this for a couple reasons. 1) Im curious 2) In 2 out situations it can be very bad having two very different sized canopies out causing one or both to downplane.

If its a question of having more canopy over your head in the event of unconsciousness I understand. However, if you are skilled enough to fly a 150 you should be skilled enough to fly a similar sized reserve.

Not necessarily. F111 material versus ZP means a lot less flare than what one is used to. Friend of mine found this out the hard way and broke her foot after cutting away and landing a good reserve. From what I understand a down plane is very rare because unless some sort of radical input is performed, then a canopy will have a tendency to want to fly directly overhead. That’s why it’s taught to only perform very minor flight corrections when you have two out situation. There was a good article about it in the parachutist a while back. I’m know there are more reliable resources than myself concerning this topic and that’s why he should discuss his gear issues with the manufacturers or some sort of authority on the DZ.

Keithor

If its a question of having more canopy over your head in the event of unconsciousness I understand. However, if you are skilled enough to fly a 150 you should be skilled enough to fly a similar sized reserve.

Landing your reserve is not just like any other landing. There's more adrenaline, less altitude, possible injuries, a canopy that flies differently than your main, with different flare characteristics that you might not even have had a chance to test before the actual landing. I'd say bigger is better and anything else is secondary.