LukeCrouch

Sonic Flywear

Hi there,

I want to buy my first jumpsuit and as I cant find a used one that fits me(Im very tall and skinny...) I will get a new one.

I asked the rigger at my dropzone for a quality but not over-expensive suit and he recommended Sonic Flywear to me.

Can anybody (not) recommend the Sonic Racer or share some experiences with me?
http://sonicflywear.com/free-fly/11-racer.html

Thanks a lot, LukeCrouch

I like my Sonic suits, I currently use a Basic and a V2. I previously had another Basic, lasted around 8 years, around 1000 jumps including around 100 tandems, and lots of extra time on the packing mat and at the bar at night.

They are very good suits, well manufactured, and were historically very involved in the progression of new shapes and materials for the modern suits.
I could also recommend :
NecSuits (also from Empuriabrava)
and
Tonfly
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sonic Flywear is one of the leading manufacturers in Europe. That means two things on my opinion:

-Quality is pretty good.
-Price is not (but not extremely expensive either, at least compared with other manufacturers).

As a reference of quality: Hayabusa (arguably the best team in the 4-way RW world nowadays) use Sonic suits. Anyway, I have an Aerial suit and I am quite happy with it. I know some people with sonic suits and they are happy as well. My personal recommendation: do not get thumb holes. They are not too useful and/or comfortable.

Remster

arguably the second best team in the 4-way RW world nowadays

;)

Well, they were among the 3 first in all the competitions they have participated in the last years. Most of the time 1st:

http://www.skydivehayabusa.com/en/results

Remster

Seriously, I don't see Team A or B using a specific brand of suit as a measure of how good a suit is. It's all about sponsorship.

Of course it is a matter of sponsorship. But:

a) A crappy unreliable manufacturer do not have the resources to sponsorize a team, and even less a pretty good team.
b) A top team probably have plenty of sponsorship offers from top manufacturers. No need to use a anything that is not among the best.

I think that it is more important the fact that being good at something (making RW suits) is not a proof of being good at something else (making FF suits). BTW: Babylon Freefly also uses Sonic suits, and they are pretty good too.

A crappy unreliable manufacturer do not have the resources to sponsorize a team,

No true. I won't name the VERY well know suit manufacturer, but, when a team got their sponsored suit, their average fell by 4 points at Nationals. That was a pretty good team too.

b) A top team probably have plenty of sponsorship offers from top manufacturers. No need to use a anything that is not among the best.

Or they pick the one with the best deal, as opposed to the best suit.

Seriously, I'm not saying Sonic is not a good suit. Just don't read too much into sponsorship. You're only fooling yourself.
Remster

Remster

A crappy unreliable manufacturer do not have the resources to sponsorize a team,

No true. I won't name the VERY well know suit manufacturer, but, when a team got their sponsored suit, their average fell by 4 points at Nationals. That was a pretty good team too.

***b) A top team probably have plenty of sponsorship offers from top manufacturers. No need to use a anything that is not among the best.

Or they pick the one with the best deal, as opposed to the best suit.

Seriously, I'm not saying Sonic is not a good suit. Just don't read too much into sponsorship. You're only fooling yourself.

I think both of us agree, but expressing it on internet can get confusing. I am not saying that the fact that some manufacturer sponsorizes a good team makes it *the best*. I am just saying that a manufacturer that has those resources is reliable enough to be a good choice for a suit for somebody with just a few jumps, and is probably among the best manufacturers you can find (even though a good team can get 4 points less than with suits from a competing suit manufacturer).

I've got a sonic tunnel suit and have flown 25 hours on it. It's getting a bit rough at the elastic on the wrists but otherwise no problems with it at all. I think they're well made.

The other thing is that they are based at Empuriabrava so get yourself a long weekend out there, get measured up then get some jumps/tunnel in :)

LukeCrouch

*** My personal recommendation: do not get thumb holes. They are not too useful and/or comfortable.

Thanks Deimian

Any recommendations on reincorfements on knees/butt or a high/low collar?I like high collar on all my suits (it cuts the wind and keeps your neck warm and dry)
I didn't need reinforcement on butt + knees on my first Basic, but asked for both on the second one as my suit is intended mostly for tandem.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

LukeCrouch

*** My personal recommendation: do not get thumb holes. They are not too useful and/or comfortable.

Thanks Deimian

Any recommendations on reincorfements on knees/butt or a high/low collar?

I think that depends on your intended use. Given that you are German, I would get high collar. In Spring/Autumn you will appreciated. Another choice is low collar but use polar necks when needed. Up to you. I like my high collar, but I wouldn't choose white as a color again, it gets too dirty.

I don't have butt reinforcement, and I don't think I needed, the last time I landed on my butt I had around 30 jumps, and normal wearing do not seems to be a concern for my suit (but it is only 1 year old!). I think the same applies to knee reinforcement, but kneeling on the packing floor can wear your suit faster than on your butt, I guess.