shbuda

How to jump with a SIGN

I want to jump with a small sign. Something like the size of a letter page (printed on the long side "landscape") and to be photographed. Obviously it is not easy to hold something at 120MPH and also not have full use of my hands. My thoughts are to paste it to a rigid piece of cardboard (maybe even laminate it), and do my best holding it exactly downwards so it doesn't catch air. If I lose my grip (strong possibility) a piece of cardboard would float down harmlessly, anything heavier is out of the question. Of course it WILL catch air and can either spin me push me or who knows what. All I need is to be in frame on my belly have the sign and my smiley (I'm always smiling of course when skydiving...) face for a few seconds and camera clicks. Safety is first of course (I'm nearing 200 jumps) so should I practice a few time solo before involving a cameraperson.How exactly do I hold and control the sign? Where should it be on exit and before deployment?
Anyways it sounds simple but is probably difficult. COMMENTS PLEASE.
SHBUDA

Obviously it is not easy to hold something at 120MPH and also not have full use of my hands.

Dude, you would be very very surprised as to what you can hold onto in freefall...:D Try something more rigid then a single piece of cardboard, like a few layers. Don't make it too heavy, though. Definately talk to the DZO first and have him approve/disapprove the design, since anything extra you take in freefall causes the risk to go way up and the danger to people on the ground to go up (although I don't see a piece of cardboard screaming through the roof of someone's house and killing their pet monkey or something...:D).
"I don't want to destroy your sweater, lets be friends and just walk away..."

do a search this a come up a couple of times and alot of people have posted a ton of really good advice , problems etc
Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one, the only one that does you any good is yours and all that comes out is shit

OK, finally something I have actual firsthand experience with!
I have jumped with both a fabric sign with handles on the bottom and a rigid sign with handles on the back.
First the fabric one: obviously a better choice for flying with
as it doesnt affect your flying very much. However, it also quickly becomes unreadable due to the flapping of the fabric. If you want to try it, write your message toward the bottom of the fabric and leave 'flapping' room at the top. I put large loops on the corners that I could easily jettison if I needed to.
Rigid sign: I bought a 3-ring binder with the clear 'window' on the front flap. I printed my message on standard size paper (landscape view) and slipped it into the 'window'. I attached rope nandles to the back to hold on to. This worked very well. Affects you flying to a degree, but as you said, keep it vertical and it minimizes the effect. Dont put your entire hand into the handles, just a couple of fingers. When it was pull time, I used my left hand/arm to clutch the sign to my chest and pulled. Worked fine and I could still get rid of it if I had to.
Have fun, be safe and make sure you can get rid of the sign of you need to.
JC
PS: and the rigid sign with the window is reusable.

Cloth works really good... Its kinda like jumping a tube (Major fun if you are experienced). I'm yet to jump a sign, but the tube makes deployment a bint.... interesting...

The only time I've ever seen someone bounce, they had a main/reserve/tube entaglement at quincy last year.
Be careful out there...
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

A couple of friends of mine did a 2 way banner jump last December. It's a little different, but you can see pictures at http://www.inform.umd.edu/studentorg/cpsc/bannerjump.html. The camera's aim was off so the banner was at least partially cut off in all the pictures. The banner was a felt material, reinforced with webbing around the outside and across the back. It nearly tore to shreds about 10 seconds into the jump. It also flapped around too much to really read it. We're going to try again with another banner made of F111.
Dave

>I want to jump with a small sign.
I'd recommend one of the following:
1. A piece of styrofoam insulation (the pink or blue stuff) with the message glued to it or pasted on it. Make two indentations (not holes) so you can keep a grip on it. This won't flutter, bend and wobble as much as cardboard.
2. Really thick cardboard, several layers.
3. A fabric sign made out of nylon (_not_ cotton, as that tends to disintegrate.)
4. A piece of stiff plastic, like rig stiffener material.
As you fly it make sure you are holding it as low as possible, as straight as possible. Any tilt forward and back will both drive you forward and back and make it hard to hold on to.
On deployment, hold in your left hand as far away as possible, and deploy with your right. Expect it to possibly bang on your lines during opening - that's not a big deal. If anything else does happen (like an entanglement) drop it as quickly as possible.
-bill von

Some guys at my DZ did this a while ago for a photo competition in a magazine. They had the cover of the mag on a bit of chipboard or something (rigid anyway) - he was having problems staying on heading due to the size of the board, and it eventually snapped, slapping him in the face as it flew off.
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila floor :D

>I still don't get what exactly to do with my left hand on deployment.
Hold one corner of the sign in it and hold it as far away from your body as possible.
> Also how should I exit, should I exit with the sign stowed under my chest strap,
>get stable and whip it out or exit holding on to it
Exit hanging on to it. Whenever you exit with a big awkward object, make sure you're holding onto it so you can drop it if it causes serious problems (like a spin.)
-bill von

Dude, with all the crap I was wearing on that jump 'stability' is a relative term. The helmet catching air and the pants NOT catching air made me backslide like a fiend! The camera dude gave a great effort keeping up with me.
I have a couple more pics ill try ro get posted. None of the back of the sign tho. Its just 2 rope loops I ran thru holes in the front of the sign and knotted on front so they wouldnt pull thru (I added washers under the knots to keep them from pulling out).
JC