Darth_Vader

Voodoo Curv Vc1 with a PD Pulse 150

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of getting the Vc1 Voodoo Curv with a PD Pulse 150. Will it fit?

In general Pulse 150 packs up the same or slightly smaller than the Stiletto 135 or Sabre2 135 which RI shows fitting in the Vc1 on their volume chart in red (meaning they actually packed those: http://rigginginnovations.com/Pages/Containers/CurvVolumeChart.pdf). RI have packed a Pulse 150 into a Vc2 and it was quite full while 50 cu in larger than the Vc1, which is strange.

Anybody got a Vc1 Curv and Pulse 150 together or close by to shed some light?

Also, check out the design I have for those and feel free to comment/give suggestions.

Thanks and blue skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side

Darth_Vader

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of getting the Vc1 Voodoo Curv with a PD Pulse 150. Will it fit?

In general Pulse 150 packs up the same or slightly smaller than the Stiletto 135 or Sabre2 135 which RI shows fitting in the Vc1 on their volume chart in red (meaning they actually packed those: http://rigginginnovations.com/Pages/Containers/CurvVolumeChart.pdf). RI have packed a Pulse 150 into a Vc2 and it was quite full while 50 cu in larger than the Vc1, which is strange.

Anybody got a Vc1 Curv and Pulse 150 together or close by to shed some light?

Also, check out the design I have for those and feel free to comment/give suggestions.

Thanks and blue skies,
Chris

Check with the manufacture.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Thanks Sparky,

First thing I did was to check with RI: they have packed a Pulse 150 into a Vc2 and it was quite full, so think a Vc1 will not fit it, although they have not tried. RI have packed a Sabre2 135 into a Vc1 which we agree packs a bit larger compared to a Pulse 150.

Was looking for more info on a Vc1 & Pulse 150 before buying based only on one person/pack job of a Pulse 150 into a Vc2.

I'd ask you the question, other than vanity, why do you want to jamb an oversized canopy into too small a rig?

Too large of canopy can cause excessive wear and damage to the container, plus can lead to hesitations on deployment. Can also cause hesitation on your reserve if you have a total mal.

But hey, the tiny container looks so much more sexy compared to one that is sized correctly. And you can downsize to that itty bitty canopy.:|

Sorry, I have my grumpy old skydiver hat on this morning.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What Monkey says.

I have a VC2. Storm 150 fits perfectly in it. A Pulse 150 looks a tad preggo, and there is nothing sexy about a pregnant rig.
Even with cut corners, I'd recommend not overstuffing a rig for the reasons outlined above. You'll also cause undue wear on the BOC, and the pulls will be harder due to the added pressure on the BOC.
FWIW, I love the Voodoo/Curv so much I own 6 of them (student rigs). But part of the reason I own several is because I don't want to overstuff any of the rigs.
In the attachment, the VC2 has a Pulse 150 in it. I'll dig up a pic of the same container with the Storm 150, but you can see the Pulse pack looks pregnant and off-balance. Closing loops wearing out more quickly too.

Thanks for the comment, monkycndo.

Don't want that at all and totally agree with you.

Just before the RI chart did not have a Pulse and we were going by comparing the Pulse 150 to Sabre2 135 and Stiletto 135 pointing at a Vc1 container. Looks like I am getting the Vc2, but wanted to see if anybody had experience with those combos as the P-150 packs same as S2-135...

I want to size it right - I am am ugly ex-Soviet prick - no small sexy container can help me...

VC2 vs VC3: I think either will work well with your Pulse 150. The one to choose depends on your torso length. If you're tall or medium height but have a long torso, I'd get the VC3. The VC2 main deployment handle could be a high and awkward reach.

I had a VC2 originally and switched to VC3 at RI's suggestion (no charge because they're awesome). Same canopies fit, but the VC3 fits me better.

So far I've had a Pilot 150, Velo 120, and VX109 in my VC3, all comfortable fit.

Chris

While, this has nothing to do with your original question,
I glanced at the image of the PD Coloring program for your Pulse 150 ... unless I am totally wrong, the rendition of your
canopy in real life could be fairly different ! Having a nearly all black top panel and black ribs, your bottom logo would certainly be weaken ! Furthermore, there is a possibility that the black cells ribs would show through your logo !
However, what is relevant is that you are content ;
what do I know !

Thank you all for the replies!

hokierower:yes, discussed with her and Vc2 it is

Chris (parachutist): VERY good point - I think Vc2 will be more comfy for me - mid high/mid torso. If its ok to ask - how tall are you?

Chuck: I was confused exactly by the fact that Pulse 150 packs as big as Stiletto 135, but now its quite clear its not that simple.

Cambalectri: the ribs are all white on the Pulse, being the same low bulk lingerie-like material as the bottom skin. Discussing with PD, the bottom skill would not be white, but will bleed some of the top skin black, but not too much to obscure or take away from the Galactic Empire logo. That doesn't matter now - the $1,100 PD asked for the art work is just toooo many jumps to take the plunge... it will be plain canopy. (I'll just use little sis' water colors and stay away from the pond... ;) )

DSE

What Monkey says.

I have a VC2. Storm 150 fits perfectly in it. A Pulse 150 looks a tad preggo, and there is nothing sexy about a pregnant rig.

In the attachment, the VC2 has a Pulse 150 in it. I'll dig up a pic of the same container with the Storm 150, but you can see the Pulse pack looks pregnant and off-balance.

Can you shed some light on why a Pulse 150 packs larger than a Storm 150 (making the container look more "preggo")? I know the Storm is a 7-cell, but I thought the low-bulk fabric on the Pulse would make it still pack smaller than a 7-cell.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/packingchart.asp

PD's website lists a Pulse 150 having a pack volume of the same size as a Storm 135, so I would have figured a Storm 150 would pack bigger than a Pulse 150.

It may just be the way it's packing. Dunno. I honestly haven't tried hard to dig in and figure it out; it's not that important to me, so long as it's not too tight in the tray.

The Pulse 170 also appears to be bulkier in my older voodoo than the Storm 170 (The school has both, swapped out between the same rig)
The only difference is the Dbag. One is a semi-stowless bag from Jerry Baumchen, the other a semi-stowless from UPT.

Strange in deed on the packing volume of the Pulse...

DSE: Which of the two semi-stowless bags you like better - comments/recommendations? (that's a bit off topic, but getting one for that rig, so any advice appreciated. Also there is this: http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/aerosports-nostobag)

tsf: that's exactly why i started asking: charts vs. stories don't match at all... I wish I could just pack myself a Pulse 150 and see if/how it fits in a Vc1, Vc2 and Vc3.

Thanks,
Chris

Have you seen any VC3's with a Nano 160 and Storm 170? I'm sure the storm 170 in the VC3 is the same as your storm 150 in a VC2. I'm hoping Nano 160, even though its a low bulk reserve won't take up too much space to make the main look fat or pregnant.

Just bought a VC3 with Nano 160 and have a Storm 170 on the way. After reading some threads, worried it might either be super tight or look fat...

Unless you have experience in packing many stuff into even more stuff, your best shot is fill in your measurement and canopies on the order form and let the manufacturer decide what rig size you should get. Everything else will be a gamble ;)

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

BornToThrill

Have you seen any VC3's with a Nano 160 and Storm 170? I'm sure the storm 170 in the VC3 is the same as your storm 150 in a VC2. I'm hoping Nano 160, even though its a low bulk reserve won't take up too much space to make the main look fat or pregnant.

Just bought a VC3 with Nano 160 and have a Storm 170 on the way. After reading some threads, worried it might either be super tight or look fat...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4650271;#4650271

One of the guys at the DZ link above has VC3 Op 160 Pilot ZPX 168 and if anything looks a little soft.