iinastynateii

Question About Wing Loading and Experience

Before I get a plethora of members commenting on the risk and recklessness of downsizing or high wing loads with low jump numbers, let me preface this post by explaining my background.

I haven't jumped in three or four years (due to college, lack of money, life, etc.) and in my brief history of skydiving I've only made a mere 36 jumps, but I've made it a point to myself that I'd be back in the air this year. While I'm going to take all the necessary steps/courses/jumps I need to become current again, I went ahead and bought a used container (with reserve, no main) that I found on this forum. It was built to my exact measurements and weight, and holds the same size canopy I used as a student (170). I've read literature online about wing loading and its effects and such, but I wanted some personal anecdotes from skydivers. This is where you guys come in.

I'm about the same weight I was 4 years ago, 140-145lb, so my exit weight is at about 170lb. The student canopy I used was a Sabre2 170, so wing loading is at 1:1. I can still remember at that time I felt the 170 was really big and slow for me, which was probably attributed to my low experience and over confidence, but I always wondered how I would handle a 150. The load would be 1:1.13. Now, this is what I'm wondering: does that extra .13lb/sqft make a world of difference? In terms of numbers, it seems really miniscule, but I really have no idea how that translates to actual performance.

I figured I'd just keep my eye out on a deal while I work my way to becoming current again. I'll still be using student gear for some time while I save up money for a main and AAD, and I'm sure my DZ won't let me use a rig with anything less than a 170 for a while. I'm in no rush, and I'm not opposed to sticking with what I know, but it's just the question of difference in wing loading increments is one I've had for a while. As for my intentions for the canopy, I'm not interested in swooping or high-performance landings - I mean, really, I'm still a novice - I'm asking because I want to know what I should be looking for or avoid while I shop around.

Cheers

I recently went from a canopy loaded at 1:1 to 1.13:1, and it was a very noticeable difference. Canopy flies much faster than my old one, and is much more responsive. I recommend staying on a 170 while you get current (which you said you were planning to do), then talk to you coach/instructors about downsizing. They should be able to help you determine if a 150 is a good idea for you. Also, you can always rent one and try it out (or demo from PD), before you buy.

You said you werent interested in swooping or high performance landings, so what is making you think you want a smaller canopy? Also keep in mind that a 150 sabre2 is going to be a lot different experience than a 150 stilleto.

Thanks for your input.

shift

You said you werent interested in swooping or high performance landings, so what is making you think you want a smaller canopy? Also keep in mind that a 150 sabre2 is going to be a lot different experience than a 150 stilleto.

I might be going at this the wrong way, but at the moment I'm looking for a used canopy not mainly for its size, but for its price point, be it a 150 or 170. I probably shouldn't be frugal when it comes to safety, but I don't know what exactly I'm limited to, that's why I wanted to get an idea of the ratio differences from other people and if it's a safe idea or not. I will be discussing this more with my instructors once I get back out there, however I'm just anxious and wanted to explore now. From what I've researched so far, I think I'll be looking for a Sabre2, Pilot, Pulse, or Silhouette.

What is the rush.
1:1 is the upper limit of what you should be jumping until you are current and have a bit more experience

I am sure other people will chime in but a 150 at 1:1.1 is not the same as a 210 at 1:1.1 Neither of these are reccomeneded for your experience level
Any mistakes you make low down are going to happen a lot quicker

Wing loading goes pretty much exponential.
So, from 170 - 150, is a jump, but going to a 132 is a serious jump. Not a lot of people out there jumping anything smaller than a 100.
The jump to the 150 should not be too much to handle, but please consider this:
Don't go for an aggressive wing
don't buy unless you have test jumped it a few times, and a few times with NO wind, and landed safely.
Check with your instructor first. You might end up buying something that you are not allowed to jump. And that is OK, cause the instructor is looking out for YOUR safety.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

It's a significant difference.

Also, 150 is a kind of inflection point, where canopy size and wing loading and performance stop having quite such a linear relationship. I am not your instructor and this advice is worth what you paid for it, but: 170 is as small as you should go, and you should stay on it for quite a while.

J
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I went from a 170 loaded at about 1 to a 150 loaded at about 1.15.

I noticed a difference, but mainly cause I was going from a shitty old PD170 that lacked power in its flare, to a nice, brand new Pilot 150, which comparitively had awesome power in its flare.

Everything about the downsize was better for me. I loved the step down in size.

HOWEVER, I did that at about 110 jumps, when I felt more than ready for it and was feeling very comfortable under the 170.

If you really are in no rush, then get a 170 for now.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).