wmw999

Stretchiness of dacron vs. Spectra

A friend of mine is planning on using parachute cord to hang her camping hammock, and is wondering whether 1500-lb (which is what she wants) dacron or Spectra will be better. I know dacron stretches some, and I'm pretty sure Spectra is more slippery. Use involves wrapping it around a tree, and tying it off with a series of half-hitches. Half-hitches work because you never know how far apart the trees are going to be.

I'd love to be convinced that one or the other is better, so that I can tell her authoritatively one way or the other.

Thoughts? Thanks

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've made my own hammock and spent quite a bit of time researching options. I used and most sites seem to recommend spectra cord. Dacron is indeed stretchier and stretchy is not a good quality for suspending the hammock (gives too much sag).

Also I personally attach the line to a carabiner, and then use webbing around the tree. The webbing is a little easier on the tree and a little easier setup, although people who are using their hammock for minimalist backpacking would probably want to go with the half-hitches solution (I would have to think hard whether a different knot would be better but half hitches should certainly work).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Spectra doesn't holds knots well, they tend to slip out. I would suggest Dacron. I highly doubt the difference would even be remotely noticeable for this application. Dacron will also be easier to untie once the knots are loaded, since its a thicker diameter.
"As soon as you're born you start dying. So you might as well, have a good time."
-CAKE

I'm crazy not stupid. There is a difference.

Dacron is a polyester material which is the best of the line types to use in a UV enviroment.
Also is will be detter all the way around IMHO for the hammock.

It is thicker which is better where the fabric should attached.etc

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Boogers

And if it does stretch a little over time, how hard is it to just re-tie one end?

Not hard at all. The truckers hitch (3:1 mechanical advantage w/ an inline knot, usually a butterfly knot) was secured with two half hitches or a clove hitch and they could easily be untied to tension. The hardest part is getting out of the hammock to make the adjustments.