baronn

Packing a reserve at higher altitudes

Usual loop length between 4.25-4.5". Just had to settle for a 5.5" loop and it was TITE. My 1st pack was just a little bit on the loose side and my 2nd was text book flat fold, UPT picture near perfect. 1st was easier to close. Both required a Lot of massaging and going very slow. Got the PC down and let sit for a couple hrs. Broke the 4.5 and almost the 5. Looked great. Rig is headed to lower altitude and higher humidity. Expecting it to loosen up a bit, hoping the PC doesn't come up. Anyone else experience this?

I think it's the humidity not the altitude. And the difference can be huge. Good reason to have a humidifier in your loft. And worst case solution... bust out the old spray bottle. Cue the boos and hisses from the audience. They have clearly never tried to pack some super tight Florida rig at Eloy.

Cool but unrelated side note on altitude change on pack jobs. I've seen pack jobs bust open the seams on containers with rapid pressure changes when the air, or in this case helium, could not escape the canopy fabric fast enough.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

RiggerLee

It isn't relevant to skydiving. We use helium to pop off the nose cone. It tends to soak into the pack job and then tries to expand when the nose cone separates. The rapid drop in pressure can put a lot of stress on the container, loops, and bag.

Oh, rocket science. Not something we need to worry about for sport skydiving. I hope... :S