Krip

scotch guard on canopy

Hi

I know that using scotch guard for a canopy that is used for jumping would be crazy, stupid, and a big no no.

What I'm interested in finding out is would scothguard used on canopy that will be used as a car cover help reduce the the UV degradation, to extend the life of the car cover before it falls apart.

Any chance the product would help the car cover become more water resitant. ?

The canopy has no monerty value, the scotchguard otoh cost real $$. Don't want to waste my money if it won't work.

R.
One Jump Wonder

I know that using scotch guard for a canopy that is used for jumping would be crazy, stupid, and a big no no.

It improved the performance of my old canopy, probably by reducing the porosity. I used it for a couple hundred jumps or so after putting a lot of it on, really soaking it (red can version). No harm was done, but I don't know about how water resistant it was.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

chuckakers

I have a friend that used to put a zero-P coating on F-111 canopies and gave them a second life.

I had him do a Cruiselite when I first started jumping. It helped A LOT.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

SansSuit

***I have a friend that used to put a zero-P coating on F-111 canopies and gave them a second life.

Wish I knew that before I cut my cruiselite up and threw it away. When it got the snivels at 450 jumps, i played around with it for another 50 jumps,

Remember deateing people about a snivel vs a malfunction. Then after a pc in tow going past the mid to high teens it was time for a new canopy.

Be well
jump until you puke.
One Jump Wonder

Krip

******I have a friend that used to put a zero-P coating on F-111 canopies and gave them a second life.

Wish I knew that before I cut my cruiselite up and threw it away. When it got the snivels at 450 jumps, i played around with it for another 50 jumps,

Remember deateing people about a snivel vs a malfunction. Then after a pc in tow going past the mid to high teens it was time for a new canopy.

Be well
jump until you puke.

Don't take this the wrong way but how was a PC in tow the canopy's fault? The canopy has nothing to do with that malfunction. Seems like it could be the fault of the PC, the bridle routing, packing errors, but not the canopy. Am I misunderstanding what you meant?
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Exactly. I almost lost a Velocity owned by PD with a pilot chute in tow. Pilot chute didn't know what it was pulling on though. I believe the container opened though but it stopped there and never went to line stretch. So while I called it a PCIT all these years I am now reconsidering that malfunction. Pilot chute was the cause though. Not fabric
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Boogers

You might also try sporting goods stores, which sell cans of spray-on treatments for tents to make them waterproof.

Bingo! B|

Boogers beat me to it Krip...Walmat spray on nylon tent treatment. Waterproofs & UV protectant.

AND FWIW...will give ya 60-70 jumps per 'treatment' on tired F1-11.

Tried it on a ragged out Excalibur 5 years ago...canopy flew like new! Though watchful for negative effects - haven't seen any.
Mentioned doing that to an old jumping buddy...turns out several 'old guys' have been doing that for over ten years!

4.95 a can is cheaper than a new canopy....for a while anyway. Told my buddy I could spray his canopy with silicone too so he could get that 'full' Zpo packing experience! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What kind of vehicle? Depending on the paint (age, type, etc.) you want to be careful what you cover it with. You'd treat a 67 vette differently than a 2014 M5.

Obviously a garage would be best to really protect it.

I would suggest a car enthusiast forum, one specific to the car. A really good wax treatment before storage can do wonders for longevity too. Remember though, cars want to be driven!
Chance favors the prepared mind.

mcordell

*********I have a friend that used to put a zero-P coating on F-111 canopies and gave them a second life.

Remember debating people about a snivel vs a malfunction. Then after a pc in tow going past the mid to high teens it was time for a new canopy.

Be well
jump until you puke.

Don't take this the wrong way but how was a PC in tow the canopy's fault? The canopy has nothing to do with that malfunction. Seems like it could be the fault of the PC, the bridle routing, packing errors, but not the canopy. Am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Hi mc

No problemo I'll try and fill in the blanks.

The pc in tow was eating up altitude.:(

When I went for the reserve, I got opening shock, looked up and saw the main, the felt the reserve, uninflated going past my leg.

Tried to hook the reserve, with my leg, but it was getting messy, reserve suspension lines on my leg, gave that up the reserve inflated and had a biplane.

Did some slow turns, the biplane was stable and landed it close enough, so we didnt have to walk back to the packing area.

My thought after that challenging situation was a fatality is a chain of events, what would have happened if I was slow going for the reserve, why did the main come out first, what would have happened if the main started its snivel thing, eating up more altitude, what would have happened to the reserve during the snivel, high speed ft to earth. etc etc.

IMO To many variables, so we eliminated the easiest one the snively cruiselight, my arms are to short to go for the bridal, Don't believe in rigging in the air. I dont have a problem relying on my reserve. A 5 cell swift.

I think that was my third mal, very scary. I remember the tunnel vision, no sound, dumping the reserve into a pc in tow is what it is.:(

Relaced the cruselight with a original sabre one. No slamers but it did open fast.:)
If I had known in the future that I peoples were, going to like jumping snively canopies and raise the opening altitude to compensate, I probably would have cut it up anyway.

But thats just me.
One Jump Wonder

Ok makes more sense now...eliminating one variable BEFORE it causes a problem. I have deployed my reserve into a pc in tow twice and it is unsettling not having clean air. One of those also resulted in 2 out but my main was second out and I chopped it immediately. Not good times B|

www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Hi mike

A pc in tow once is bad enough, twice, yikes!

I considered choping my main, but I was concerned about the random nature of the main risers leaving and the possibilty of the them becoming entangled with my reserve.

A couple of weeks after my event a guy I knew decided to chop his main from a biplane, at a very low altitude rather than land it. The worst case scenario occured and my friend died.