jakebaustin

Harness resizing

I'm thinking about getting this used Vector3 v357 spectre 210 & raven 249. harness size 18.5 +2. it's built for someone 6' 2". 225lbs 45" waist 22" torso and 32.5" inseam and 47.5" chest.

I am 5'8", 32"waist, 165 lbs.

My question is, what with the harness being built for someone so large would I be able to have it resized to fit me?
And if I could get it resized, approximately how long and how much would it take?

Anything can be resized. The issue comes down to how much are you willing to spend? Is the cost of the change plus the purchase price still a good deal?

UPT charges $450 plus shipping for a replacement harness. You need to contact them directly to see their turn around time on something like this but it might be anywhere from weeks to months with their current backlog.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

jakebaustin

I'm thinking about getting this used Vector3 v357 spectre 210 & raven 249. harness size 18.5 +2. it's built for someone 6' 2". 225lbs 45" waist 22" torso and 32.5" inseam and 47.5" chest.

I am 5'8", 32"waist, 165 lbs.

My question is, what with the harness being built for someone so large would I be able to have it resized to fit me?
And if I could get it resized, approximately how long and how much would it take?

When I contacted UPT for information they told me their harnesses could not be resized. Replacement cost is $450

I don't know they can't be resized but it may be the factory doesn't want to mess with it. Much easier to cut a harness off than undo the stitching. I don't know they have a blanket prohibition

And if it was pre UPT its an orphan and the company that made it doesn't exist.;)

It very well may be that so much would need to be done to this harness to fit you that it's easier and cheaper to build a new one. I haven't done one with this big of change. Would have to think about it.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

I don't know they can't be resized but it may be the factory doesn't want to mess with it. Much easier to cut a harness off than undo the stitching. I don't know they have a blanket prohibition

And if it was pre UPT its an orphan and the company that made it doesn't exist.;)

It very well may be that so much would need to be done to this harness to fit you that it's easier and cheaper to build a new one. I haven't done one with this big of change. Would have to think about it.

From jumpsuits to containers it is always easier to build a new one then change or repair one.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes.
Lengthening a harness results in ugly old needle punctures.
Meanwhile, if you shorten the harness, the old stitch holes are often hidden by leg pads.
But - from the factory's perspective - it is simpler to build a new harness.
Factories are only interested in "adjusted" harnesses that look almost new, while some Master Riggers are willing to sign off old harnesses that are faded at the same rate as the container.

Building a completely new harness is usually a factory job. Building a completely new harness is only quicker if you have all the factory patterns, factory tools, factory jigs, etc.

If you ask a Master Rigger, he will probably re-use the diagonal back-straps, etc. to save labour, calculations, etc.