RedundantRigger

RSL on the Tear Drop

Now I remember reading in poynter or somewhere.. concerning ancient history, about the Stevenson Lanyard. Predecessor of the modern RSLs and LORs.
It was infact just a connection (tape, line or something) between the handle on the belly mount reserve and one of the risers. Prone to hitting you in the face upon activation and knocking teeth out.

So i was a bit puzzled when I came upon it whilst browsing the Tear Drop manual. The design seems ridiculously dangerous?
If I understand it correctly, the pin has to get dragged through the entire reserve cable housing and lastly through the gromet on the rsl tape.
The cable housing end seems to be tacked down to, so the lanyard would pull 180 degrees to the housing routing.
They mention that the handle shouldn't hit you in the face though :D , it should remain stationary.

A snag-up just seems obvious.
Has there ever been a incident where this system was involved? I'm also interested to hear from people who have used it

Manual can be found at :
http://www.thomas-sports.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&task=download&id=121%3Aviper-1-pin-manual-&Itemid=7

Page 22 for the rsl

RedundantRigger

Now I remember reading in poynter or somewhere.. concerning ancient history, about the Stevenson Lanyard. Predecessor of the modern RSLs and LORs.
It was infact just a connection (tape, line or something) between the handle on the belly mount reserve and one of the risers. Prone to hitting you in the face upon activation and knocking teeth out.

So i was a bit puzzled when I came upon it whilst browsing the Tear Drop manual. The design seems ridiculously dangerous?
If I understand it correctly, the pin has to get dragged through the entire reserve cable housing and lastly through the gromet on the rsl tape.
The cable housing end seems to be tacked down to, so the lanyard would pull 180 degrees to the housing routing.
They mention that the handle shouldn't hit you in the face though :D , it should remain stationary.

A snag-up just seems obvious.
Has there ever been a incident where this system was involved? I'm also interested to hear from people who have used it

Manual can be found at :
http://www.thomas-sports.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&task=download&id=121%3Aviper-1-pin-manual-&Itemid=7

Page 22 for the rsl

I had one. The person that I sold it too had a cutaway and an RSL deployed reserve. The RSL took the entire reserve handle away with the main parachute.

Teardrops don't (or didn't use to) come with RSL as standard.

My biggest fear looking at the design, is the fact that due to the angles involved I can imagine a scenario where the RSL 'locks' the reserve handle in place. Yes it would be a series of unfortunate events.

I own a 1998 Teardrop and over all they are good containers. Most people I've come across are pretty ignorant and believe they are identical to Racers.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

RedundantRigger

Do you use it without the RSL then?

Neither of my rigs have RSL's. The teardrop by choice, the Jav due to laziness (ordered the wrong one, and haven't got around to getting the correct one)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.