TheMan

Advice on gear for student

Here are the items I had in mind to order, if anything seems too cheap or expensive I'd appreciate a heads up as I'm not really familiar with the norm/quality.

Altimeter: http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/ft50-ft60-superlight-altimeter
Helmet: http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/advanced-benny
Suit: I heard its best to custom order this from the DZ?

Both are reasonable entry level devices, provided that your DZ will allow students at your level to use their own equipment.

My only suggestion is that yoiu get the altimeter WITH the glow in the dark face. It changes nothing about the use of the altimeter in the daytime, but is WONDERFUL for night jumps. Since this option is no more costly...get it.

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/ft50-ft60-black-glow-altimeter
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Here are the items I had in mind to order, if anything seems too cheap or expensive I'd appreciate a heads up as I'm not really familiar with the norm/quality

I cannot understand for the life of me why newbies come here to the forums asking questions about gear, landing patterns you name it do a search for the Love of crickets! Here's where I have conflict with these questions, why can't you just simply ask your DZO, AFF1's S&TA. There's plenty of support (Or should be) there you just have to ask for it. I was sky Diving for 2 years before I knew DZ.Com even existed. I relied on the DZO (Steve) of SDSL in Rosharon, along with the input of Hook-N-Swoop (Derek) and Super Swooper (Chris Miller). They hooked me right up making really good suggestions and I wound up with primo gear! Thanks Steve, Derek and Chris!

Best-
Richard

I'm only at the drop zone once a week, and I wanna get my gear shipped before I go to the dropzone this week so I don't have to rent.

The dropzone provides plenty of support and for the amount I'm paying there I'm most definitely utilizing it. However, this doesn't mean I can't also look elsewhere for some answers.

The dropzone provides plenty of support and for the amount I'm paying there I'm most definitely utilizing it. However, this doesn't mean I can't also look elsewhere for some answers

I'm sorry, IMHO you should focus on your dive flows and such. Sweating bullets about having/not having gear is certainly a distraction, been there, done that, got the tee shirt A suggestion, go to the classifieds here on DZ.Com and see what they have. If you have to, rent gear until you can get your own gear. Patience is a Virgin! Good Luck! :)
Best-
Richard

Haha its all good, renting at my DZ is fucking expensive and now that I finished AFF the equipment isn't inclusive. So I figured I might as well get the bare-bones to mitigate the cost of the jump

Placed my order on the Advanced Benny, Superlight Alti, & some decent looking goggles. That should be enough for awhile!

Thanks for the help

Not everyone’s home DZ is large or has a well stocked shop. He’s asked a query on feedback on two very simple items (open face helmet and mechanical altimeter) which, along with goggles are three pieces of kit every skydiver should own.

The internet is a place you can get feedback from a large number of persons (and then make up your own mind).

If he was asking about hairstyles, some may have proffered that a “mullet cut” looks stylish; however there would probably be other posters that strongly disagreed.

...to the OP, agree with above replies to go with Altimaster Galaxy in glow face
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

TheMan

I thought the one I picked is also glow in the dark but the difference only being that the background is white instead of black.

I'm not a fan of the black background xD

While I think that preparing for the future, if you do plan on some night jumps and if this is the reason that your thinking about the glow in the dark feature, is a great idea, there is a world of difference between those altimeters that have the luminescence material painted on as compared with those that are backlighted. IMO I haven't found an altimeter like the F40 / 50 / 60s or the altimasters with the painted on glow in the dark to actually be all that bright. Actually I find them to be very dim. Amongst others I currently own a FT50 and find it to be a fine piece of equipment, as the other ones as well. But it really isn't bright enough in comparison to some of the others with batteries. You really have to see this luminescence difference to see for yourself. Something to consider if this is a reason or purchasing point in your decision making process. :)
This link: http://viplo.com/cadrans_en.html ,...

(pay particular attention to the notes in the instructions about "pre-lighting for a few minutes." Even then you only get about 30 seconds where the unit is actually this bright.)

makes it appear that this unit will light up the night sky and it is easily visible. The altimeter itself is wonderful, but if you think in actual use it even approaches what is implied in this sales literature, it doesn't. It doesn't even come close and especially 5 min after you charge the face by using a bright light the coating quickly dims!!! Perhaps it's some sort of good attempt by the manufacturer to show this feature, but I consider this little bit of marketing to be very deceptive! I can't stress this enough: know the differences before you make this purchase if it is your intent to make night jumps with this feature. And certainly wait the 5 full minutes or 15 minutes to make this evaluation because it frequently doesn't go over well in a crowded aircraft playing around with a bright flashlight.

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Those look just fine. If you decide to do night jumps, altimeter lighting can be done either with a glow-stick, a little light, or you can just buy another altimeter by then. Altimaster has been making altimeters for a long, long, time is the one thing I'll say about them. My Altimaster is 38 years old, and I still use it.

I've done 20-40 night jumps with it. You can figure that one out when you get there.

The Benny is a good helmet.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

TheMan

Haha its all good, renting at my DZ is fucking expensive and now that I finished AFF the equipment isn't inclusive. So I figured I might as well get the bare-bones to mitigate the cost of the jump

Placed my order on the Advanced Benny, Superlight Alti, & some decent looking goggles. That should be enough for awhile!

Thanks for the help

Are you suuure you don't wanna rethink that Alti? Chutingstar just offered a sale on Galaxies: http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/altimaster-galaxy-3318 They've a proven track record. The FTs are almost never seen, & I've heard some bad things about them. You could also save another $25 by ordering the Benny w/the original liner. Your money, life, & choice. Best of Luck in the rest of your training.

rwieder

Here are the items I had in mind to order, if anything seems too cheap or expensive I'd appreciate a heads up as I'm not really familiar with the norm/quality

I cannot understand for the life of me why newbies come here to the forums asking questions about gear, landing patterns you name it do a search for the Love of crickets! Here's where I have conflict with these questions, why can't you just simply ask your DZO, AFF1's S&TA. There's plenty of support (Or should be) there you just have to ask for it. I was sky Diving for 2 years before I knew DZ.Com even existed. I relied on the DZO (Steve) of SDSL in Rosharon, along with the input of Hook-N-Swoop (Derek) and Super Swooper (Chris Miller). They hooked me right up making really good suggestions and I wound up with primo gear! Thanks Steve, Derek and Chris!

Best-
Richard

"Information for novice and experienced skydivers, including global dropzone and skydivers databases, DZ reviews, skydiving classifieds, safety and training ..."

AND Something like this:

Dropzone.com - The single best source for skydiving information

that's why "newbies come here.

(Bit of a hypocrisy don't you think? They actually believe the moniker? At least for a time.)

And on a side note I can't begin to tell you the number of times I have suggested others do searches, and only been severely chastised and have had boots held to the side of my head when making that suggestion. Whilst a great idea, no - one is doing searches, probably takes too much time??? ;) Additionally many long time users here won't or don't make decent gear reviews, in other words decent gear reviews are hard to find. And more than half the time "questions" are deferred or just plain old blown off, just have you have just done. By saying just go ask someone else? Yes I agree, there should be lots of support at your local dz, you would think that, but with so many busy tandems and such, the message I have heard from many students is that when they have asked, they have felt personally intrusive and like they are bothering their own people! You asked and this is the answer I have received in person from actually taking the time with real students. :)
"Don't give advice to newbies,... " for whatever reason,...

whatever form this takes, is the message that many are speaking about when I ask others face to face about their impression of dz.com.

You asked,...

C

I have used my glow face Galaxy 3 on a few night jumps and "charged it" under a bright light and had absolutely no problem seeing it in free fall or under canopy. As a first alti, the glow face Galaxy is a really good option.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

I have used my glow face Galaxy 3 on a few night jumps and "charged it" under a bright light and had absolutely no problem seeing it in free fall or under canopy. As a first alti, the glow face Galaxy is a really good option.

I agree with ya Sean :)
My point was to raise some awareness out of a concern that yet another that hasn't actually used some of this equipment is under the impression that these painted on glow altimeters are as bright as they think they are in the sales literature. And highlight that they MUST be "charged" with a bright light source before use. A lot of people that I have met find this out on the day of their first night jump. I loved my first Altimaster product, I gave it away when I purchased later gear. While I think a $400 altimeter is an insane price to pay, "that one" with a battery, is such a huge difference in readability at night in comparison, I can't help raise a safety issue. Unfortunately this little safety improvement comes at a steep price and I'm sure many individuals have had this thought already. I did do a through search for Night jumps and I found that there wasn't a lot of reviews about this particular subject. This is the only reason I'm persisting with this at the moment.

I'm just trying, in a nice way to point out that there is a considerable difference from as you point out "no problem" as compared to some of the other more pricy units, where anyone within 20 feet during free fall can read the battery units :)
C

yeup, a fully charged glow-face on a Galaxy is more than bright enough for night jumps... probably brighter than my back-lit Viso in fact.

a tiny sub-$20 LED bicycle light will charge the crap out of a Galaxy in moments (and pull double-duty taped to your helmet) and unlike my Viso is basically indestructible, won't ever need batteries, and will probably still be working decades from now...

also, the most frequent question I hear as I prep for night jumps is "how do I turn on the backlight on my XXX" which also isn't an issue
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I can still change my order I guess, I just liked the face on the FT50/60 more. Is there a malfunction history with the Viplo? If the brand isn't reliable then I'll definitely change.

The original Benny's liner looks like it will wear and tear much faster with use. So I figured I might as well go the extra mile and get proper padding.

These are the goggles I got if anyone is interested: http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/vented-arch-goggle

Thanks again

TheMan

Thanks for the help

How much is rental in Skydive Dubai? I'm planning to go some time soon and I'm debating if I should bother taking my rig through a 14 hour flight. Planning to jump quite a bit, 4-5 days worth if not more.

Also when is the best time to go?

Right now is the best time of the year in Dubai, weather is perfect. Towards late April the weather starts to really heat up.

Its all on a per jump basis
Suit: 20 AED ($5)
Altimeter: 40 AED ($10)
Helmet:40 AED ($10)
Rig: 75 AED ($20)

Take note that there are two dropzones in Dubai, the palm dropzone requires jumpers to have a D license as a minimum to jump there. The second dropzone is in the desert 30 minutes out of from downtown; view isn't as awesome but its still pretty cool.

Yeah I'm familiar with the dropzone license restrictions but I don't feel like waiting for my D to go. Gave up on the palm and I'll just hit up the desert campus.

Based on those prices I should just grab my own gear, that's quite a bit for rental. Is there a fixed fee for all day rental kind of a thing like other DZs have? Or does it not matter if you do 1 or 10 jumps and you still pay for each?

TheMan

I can still change my order I guess, I just liked the face on the FT50/60 more. Is there a malfunction history with the Viplo? If the brand isn't reliable then I'll definitely change.

The original Benny's liner looks like it will wear and tear much faster with use. So I figured I might as well go the extra mile and get proper padding.

These are the goggles I got if anyone is interested: http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/vented-arch-goggle

Thanks again

I've only seen one person jump w/a Viplo. I've read 2-3 instances where they either would hang up, or move erratically (not smooth) up or down. The Galaxy is the industry standard. I've seen them used w/800+ jumps, & still working fine. Alti2 will do a full refurbishment on them for about $52, if you should wash it or something.

I'm half bald, & sweat A LOT in the summer months. My Benny has almost 200 jumps on it, & the liner is still fine.

PiLFy

***I can still change my order I guess, I just liked the face on the FT50/60 more. Is there a malfunction history with the Viplo? If the brand isn't reliable then I'll definitely change.

Thanks again

I've only seen one person jump w/a Viplo. I've read 2-3 instances where they either would hang up, or move erratically (not smooth) up or down. The Galaxy is the industry standard. I've seen them used w/800+ jumps, & still working fine. Alti2 will do a full refurbishment on them for about $52, if you should wash it or something.

I'm half bald, & sweat A LOT in the summer months. My Benny has almost 200 jumps on it, & the liner is still fine.

I have a Viplo FT50/60, got it after my first jump. AFF 4 or 5, the needle jumped back and forth from 6000-4000, had to pull a little early. Pressure tested it, worked fine since. Just my experience with it.

The Arch goggles are my favorite so far, fits my mug nicely. I got the non vented ones because any vents dry out my contacts pretty fast. Keep that in mind if you're a contact wearer and sensitive to drying out easily.

Be safe(r), and have fun up there B|

Well my order already shipped :S so I guess I'll just test it out and see what happens. How many jumps did you do on the Viplo, and was it just that one time that it messed up?

@ Kalrigan, there is no option like that you pay for each jump that you use the gear, it might be best just to bring all your gear in a duffel bag or something.

Good choice on the more expensive Benny. Bought the cheaper model (though on sale for $39) and had to have Sky Systems send a new liner straight away because the liner was torn on one side. And then while installing new liner, tore a little piece off near the ear (argh!) while fitting it into the helmet. Those liners are incredibly poor quality. Luckily I didn't pay much for the helmet, so can upgrade the liner without making a loss.