GD64

Tunnel Equipment ?

New to site, and have been away from sport for awhile. RW was what I loved, but free-fly has caught my attention big time. So I'm thinking of spending time and money on tunnel work before I hit the "great wide open again".
So under the caveat of good, better, best......what are the top 3 suits, helmets, goggles, and anything I missed for tunnel work? I am sure a lot of you divers will say use the rental gear......that aside, please weigh-in with your gear opinions.
I've done a bit of reading in the gear and rigging forum, and I was hoping to get the latest gear options.
Thanks to all, for your time and experienced opinions in advance!

If you're new the freeflying, get a cheap generic suit first. You;ll be spending plenty time on the net, and you dont want to ruin your brand new $1000 designer suit.

Add to that a G3, or Z1, or Phantom. Whichever fits you better.
Remster

I've spent a bit of time in the tunnel as well, cheap used suit is what I'm in since learning how to back/sit fly has REALLY caused me to hit the net many a times and it does work the suit hard.

I use a Cookie Fuel helmet because... frankly... I like the open face. But I've also used the G3 which I like.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I'm thinking of spending time and money on tunnel work before I hit the "great wide open again".

Keep in mind that you have to 'prove' yourself in the tunnel before they'll crank up the speed and let you freefly in there. Time on your belly, time on your back, time spent on the net 'freeflying' with low airspeed, etc, all before you'll be really 'freeflying' in the tunnel.

Nothing you can do about it, just a heads up. You'll get further, faster in the tunnel with a coach. Find one ahead of time, and talk to them about the progression so you know what to expect in terms of how much time you'll need in there.

I do disagree with the above poster about a coach. At the end of the day, a coach (at my tunnel) forces you to fly a lot in a single day, giving you very little time to think and consolidate information. Also, there are stages where a coach won't help much, like when you're working on increasing precision and speed.

I don't think a coach will necessarily help you learn faster, but may be necessary for some.

At the end of the day, it is how much you are confident about taking ownership of your learning. I got to trying to do sit-fly off the net without a coach, so I can't advise you any further than that.

If you've any questions, feel free to ask, can elaborate more :D

Your first few times in the tunnel they are going to make you belly fly. This is not a bad thing, by learning good basics belly down you will find it easer transfer to other types of flying. I would get a good basic RW shit and the helmet you plan on jumping in the air. Remember that all jumpers are belly flyers at pull time.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I apologize for not checking my posting, after a few days......dumb on me.

adamUK thanks for the link. I'm going to have some good bedtime reading er viewing. Looks like good info I can use.

"Welcome to the crackhouse", ha ,ha. Probably no "re-hab" treatment for that!

Thanks ianyapxw. I appreciate your input. At this point I'm leaning towards initial coaching (being a tunnel noob), then assessing results. Overlay that with where I want to go and make the call. My guess and its only a guess, will be a mixed bag.......some coaching and some solo, but we'll see?

mjosparky.....thanks for your feedback. I'm sure the tunnel will let me know if my past RW still works? I suspect some will come back, and some will be replaced by current and better techniques.

Like your ride HD!

ianyapxw

I don't think a coach will necessarily help you learn faster, but may be necessary for some.

At the end of the day, it is how much you are confident about taking ownership of your learning. I got to trying to do sit-fly off the net without a coach, :D

Ahh, I can't disagree with you more on this. Coaches definitely help you progress at every level. Are you telling me you have no one training you how to sit fly and you are figuring it out on your own? I'd like to see the vids.

I do think there are times when you should go into the tunnel and work on what they told you for a while, but then learn more once you get it dialed in.

I'll start by saying I don't know how your tunnel runs things, but I'll explain more.

Trafficdiver

Ahh, I can't disagree with you more on this. Coaches definitely help you progress at every level. [/Quote]

Of course I believe this. However, at my tunnel, getting a coach means paying a fee and having less to spend on flights. Furthermore, coaching could mean committing 20 sessions in 4h, whereas I would much rather fly say 5 sessions/day over 4 days. I find the sleep helps me register information. YMMV

***Are you telling me you have no one training you how to sit fly and you are figuring it out on your own?

My tunnel works his way. They always have a spotter (who's also an instructor), who's obligation is only to catch you. All are willing to give you a briefing/debriefing and help you in the tunnel however. Having a coach means 2 guys in the tunnel, one to catch you and the other to demonstrate.

I didn't learn to fly on my own, I made sure I had a discussion with my spotter what I could do, what I wanted to do, and what I could improve on/tell the next spotter.

You also have to have take ownership of your learning. As long as you ask questions, ask for advice and make clear your goals, people are more than willing to help. :D

All are willing to give you a briefing/debriefing and help you in the tunnel however.

You didn't mention it, but I do hope you're taking some of that money you're not paying a coach to throw a tip at the tunnel instructor, who (it sounds like) is going above and beyond his/her job by providing you with coaching and debriefing. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

It works the same way at Airkix in the UK in that the spotters are quite often great flyers and do coaching on their days off but are more than happy to go through a few things whilst they're there. The downside of this is that they're always busy either instructing, driving the tunnel, on reception or briefing the next class so the chance for a proper brief/debrief is low.

I started paying for coaching for head down and now do a mix of coached sessions, just having fun or practicing what my coach and I went through the last session.

Needless to say a steady stream of donuts and other goodies finds its way to the staff room. When I got onto head down I bought the staff 2 cases of beer. :)