skydivah1

RDS Removing Lanyard question

Thinking about getting an RDS system but only for the removable slider part. My d-bag and p-chute will remain attached to the top skin.

My question is this:

What do you do with the lanyard that is attached to the slider which runs to the d-bag when in full RDS mode? Is the lanyard easily removable or is there a special stowing procedure?

My question is, why would you get an RDS system if you only want a removable slider? The slider itself is much simpler. And no doubt cheaper as well.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I can't seem to find anything online. Every gear store seems to only sell full RDS. Besides, the only difference between RDS and a sole removable slider is that there is a lanyard option on the RDS. As far as the slider's concerned, everything is generally designed the same. If there's a cheaper option could somebody direct me to the right website?

My first response is, send PD an email and ask. They are very good at answering questions. If you need an answer tonight, it may come from here, or try the swoopers forum.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It depends on the canopy that you want to use it on. I don't think that PD will sell an RDS for any canopy other than a velo because they haven't tested those canopies with an RDS (based on trying to get one for a Sabre2 and a buddy trying to get one for a Katana). That said, if you want an RDS you can buy one from a handful of places.

What canopy do you want this for?

On the sliders that come with the comp velo they say not to use at terminal, But i know plenty of camera flyers that use them terminal... Look at the UPT removable slider, I have done about 800 terminal jumps with this with no issue whatsoever. It is very easy to remove the lanyard and just use the slider part.

skydivah1

Thinking about getting an RDS system but only for the removable slider part. My d-bag and p-chute will remain attached to the top skin.

Sounds overly compicated for what you want to do, to me. Just get a split slider. That's a slider that comes in two halves, left and right. When packed, the two halves are joined together by a cord. After your canopy opens you yank on that cord and the two halves come apart, allowing your lines to spread out, and the halves stay attached to your line groups by the grommets so you don't lose them, and they just dangle behind you. Quick and easy to pack, quick and easy to split. Just like pulling on a line to collapse a regular slider so it doesn't flap in the wind. But in this case the cord separates the two halves.

Doh!

Looking at the OP's profile he's jumping a Velo.

Partial RDS slider only shouldn't be a problem.
Like others have already stated its easy to remove the lanyard.

I'm doing exactly the same thing.

I have a para-concepts RDS for my canopy and the huge slider can be a hinderance but i don't need the hassle (perceived on my part) of using the full RDS option at this stage.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

Sounds interesting a split slider !
I know, that the accuracy crowd were using split sliders, for years.
Any ideas where to get a split slider nowadays ?

Boogers

***Thinking about getting an RDS system but only for the removable slider part. My d-bag and p-chute will remain attached to the top skin.

Sounds overly compicated for what you want to do, to me. Just get a split slider. That's a slider that comes in two halves, left and right. When packed, the two halves are joined together by a cord. After your canopy opens you yank on that cord and the two halves come apart, allowing your lines to spread out, and the halves stay attached to your line groups by the grommets so you don't lose them, and they just dangle behind you. Quick and easy to pack, quick and easy to split. Just like pulling on a line to collapse a regular slider so it doesn't flap in the wind. But in this case the cord separates the two halves.

Doh!

hokierower

It depends on the canopy that you want to use it on. I don't think that PD will sell an RDS for any canopy other than a velo because they haven't tested those canopies with an RDS (based on trying to get one for a Sabre2 and a buddy trying to get one for a Katana). That said, if you want an RDS you can buy one from a handful of places.

What canopy do you want this for?

I used a Velocity removable slider on my KA120 and IMO it improved the openings.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Hi Camba,

Yet, they could offer stainless or chrome #5 grommets for a custom split slider ...

This guy will make you a split slider to your dimensions with whatever grommets that you want:

Mark Lancaster
Skyworks Parachute Service
2222 Buffalo – West Springs HiWay
Buffalo, SC 29321
864-429-8428
[email protected]

JerryBaumchen

Cambalectri

Sounds interesting a split slider !
I know, that the accuracy crowd were using split sliders, for years.
Any ideas where to get a split slider nowadays ?

Well, you could buy an accuracy parachute for several thousand dollars, and a split slider would come with it.

Or you might just go to Para-Gear for a less expensive alternative:
http://www.paragear.com/products/10000166/P826S/