Katscan

Semi Stowless D-Bag for Newbie/Beginner?

So this is kind of a newbie question. I recently purchased a rig that came with both a traditional D-Bag and a Semi-Stowless D-Bag. I'm just starting to learn how to pack and have been reading around the forums and Internets about Semi-Stowless bags.

My question is, if you're just learning to pack is it ok to learn on a Semi-Stowless bag? Learning to pack is difficult enough, would this option make it easier for students? Would a semi-stowless bag pose more problems for students that don't fully understand canopy deployment?

I don't want this to get into a huge debate on which type of D-bag is better. What I do want to know is peoples opinion on whether learning how to pack on a semi-stowless is feasible and something that can be adopted in the future when teaching new skydivers.

I personally have already decided that I will learn with traditional D-Bag first and then maybe switch later on to a Semi-Stowless.

I don't believe you need to be more experienced to jump a stowless bag. It's just different to pack, not more difficult. Just ask someone competent to show you how to use it.

PD doesn't recommend any of the semi stowless bags, because they believe they are not all created equal and some don't have enough tension on the lines for a good deployment.

I've been jumping one for about 175 jumps and prefer them to normal bags.

The biggest possible down-side to buying a semi-stowless bag at your experience level is that there may be fewer people familiar with how it works who can help you if you have questions. If you have a local rigger who's accessible to help you, ask them to help you decide.
Owned by Remi #?