ereda95

First Skydive, many questions about cameras and mounting options.

Fair enough. To be honest, I have seen so many videos (even from people who say they are on their first skydive) filmed from an action camera on their person. So, naturally I assumed there wasn't an issue about it. But maybe I should have looked it up before asking the question.

In any case, I am glad I didn't shell out £200 on a camera for no reason haha.

shropshire

Where abouts are you roughly in the U.K? Come along to a dropzone and chat with the folks there.. you'll get a better idea of the 'vibe' than you ever could on the interweb.

You'll meet arses where ever you go in every walk of life (as I'm sure you know).

I hope that you really have a great experience and enjoy our sport.

Thanks! I'm from north Manchester.

ereda95

***Where abouts are you roughly in the U.K? Come along to a dropzone and chat with the folks there.. you'll get a better idea of the 'vibe' than you ever could on the interweb.

You'll meet arses where ever you go in every walk of life (as I'm sure you know).

I hope that you really have a great experience and enjoy our sport.

Thanks! I'm from north Manchester.

You're welcome .

There are a couple near to you. The closest could be Black Knights at Hillam Lane, Cockerham, LA2 0DY

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

ereda95

Hmmm. I see.

I think it is a bit ridiculous. It is probably the first and last skydive I will do, I wanted something that showed it from my point of view as well as the outside photographer taking a video.

I don't see what harm strapping a small camera to my helmet would do. It isn't as if I would be messing around with it or letting it distract me. It would be a simple matter of turning it on before I even get on the plane and forgetting it is even there. But rules are rules and I guess there will be people who aren't as sensible.

I think you're a troll, but if not I think you're an idiot. Maybe both.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

diablopilot

I think you're a troll, but if not I think you're an idiot.

No. Just a complete beginner who made the wrong assumption that it would be okay to use a camera. Now I know the rules and why they are important, no thanks to you.

I always thought trolls were people aren't constructive and stray from the topic at hand - which is what you have just done.

Either that, or I assume you mean the mythical creature that doesn't exist. In any case, it is you who is the idiot.

I won't take it too personally however, because it seems you like to put others down - looking at your sig "You're not as good as you think you are." Maybe you should take heed of your own 'advice'?

jumpsalot-2

Trolls on this site are people who create static on known subjects ( example, use of cameras ), trying intentionally, to create an ongoing argument. YOU ARE A TROLL.

I clearly am not doing that though. I had no idea that cameras were such a big issue, so this was unintentional. Everyone who gave me information or advice I thanked.

In response to everyone else (and you), they are the ones creating arguments by insulting me for no reason and continuing to do so, adding nothing to the discussion other than "you are a troll" "you are an idiot" "you have no respect".

If you don't like the thread or aren't willing to be civil, don't read it, don't comment on it. It is as simple as that, my friend.

Trafficdiver

I suggest you find a place that can do outside video and a handcam. You can then edit it together to make a rad tandem video.

After you land you'll better understand the vibrant personalities here.B|

Ha, yeah, hopefully it will be an enlightening experience

I'm not sure about the rules on handcams either (in the UK). After looking at some of the outside videos (and photos) from other tandem skydives, I think I'll be happy with that on its own.

I will look into the handcams though, just not on this forum! :P

jumpsalot-2

Trolls on this site are people who create static on known subjects ( example, use of cameras ), trying intentionally, to create an ongoing argument. YOU ARE A TROLL.

But I think trolls are supposed to be doing it out of malice or mischief. I don't think it really counts just to be a newbie who has no clue of what the hot button issues in the sport are. (And then debates for a while until being more educated in the subject.)

@ the OP:
Certainly in skydiving there is some debate about when cameras could be used. Our camera rules system is a little antiquated, based on large cameras for solo jumpers; while really there isn't necessarily that much harm in having a small camera attached to a tandem student. There are plenty of details and matters to debate though. As for changing things, to some degree dropzones and we jumpers aren't going to want to give up a system where the only ones allowed to do photos & video in freefall for a student, are us, the contracted employees of the dropzone. Sort of a closed shop, and you're not in the union!

Sort of a closed shop, and you're not in the union!

There is definitely an element of "does the movie theater let you bring you own popcorn?" here.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

jumpsalot-2

Fucking hell, some of you are a cynical snarky bunch. It's pretty obvious to anyone who bothers to read the tone and content this poor bastard had no idea what kind of shit storm he was about to create.

The 'troll' accusations created far more noise than he did
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

***Trolls on this site are people who create static on known subjects ( example, use of cameras ), trying intentionally, to create an ongoing argument. YOU ARE A TROLL.

Fucking hell, some of you are a cynical snarky bunch. It's pretty obvious to anyone who bothers to read the tone and content this poor bastard had no idea what kind of shit storm he was about to create.

The 'troll' accusations created far more noise than he did

Well said .. too many drama queens!

Leave the OP alone, he's done nothing wrong. Jezze:S

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

ereda95

Slightly put off by the 'varying degrees of politeness' on here though. I trust this isn't representative of the skydiving scene as a whole.

It's not a true representation of skydiving at all. Unfortunately it is a true representation of dropzone.com. [:/]

I will just recommend hiring a camera person. Its a video you will save for the rest of your life

As an amateur I'm not allowed a camera on my helmet for a few hundred jumps because of safety reasons. Just realize most tandem students dont even wear a helmet (I think it is to prevent you from bashing the instructor) and a camera would be more you could hit him in the face with (or her... sorry ladies!).

Anyhow, chest strap would be the best but the POV cameras are "cool" sometimes... but the view of you exiting the door strapped to your instructor as you become a meat missile is priceless footage you only get once.
You are not the contents of your wallet.