Deimian

How to measure the size of a harness

Question for all the great riggers out there:

I have a rig that I want to sell. It is second hand. I know it fits me well, but frequently I'm asked for what size it has being built. Truth is that I don't know. I've send an email to the manufacturer a couple of weeks ago, asking for this information with the serial number, but I've received no reply. Is there any reliable way to measure the harness and being able to get a reasonable height and weight for what it has been built (and how much up/down it can go)?

Regards,
Damian

If you go on UPT Vector web site, you can download a Vector order form. You will see sketches showing where to take measurements and how to take them.
One of the most important is the MAIN LIFT WEB (MLW) related to your torso. This is equivalent to the diagonal distance between the hollow spot between your two collarbones and the highest point on hipbone at few inches beside your navel. Another important measurement is the length around your thigh for proper leg strap length. In order to have accurate measurements, stay in a very upright position and have a rigger or instructor taking measurements and repeat that twice to validate everything.
The way to take measurements may vary a little bit between manufacturers.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Thank you, but how can I correlate to a height and weight? I guess I can just measure the rig and tell the measurements, so the potential buyers can decide for themselves if they are too off the size of the harness.

I am having a hard time selling it anyway, oldish (not too old, 2001) rig, without shinny stainless steel hardware, not FF friendly without a couple of modifications, and with an old and wear out canopy... I guess my best option is separate the parts.

Just explain your rough body measurements (height and weight) and say it fits well someone of that size.

I really disagree on this one, Remi. Someone who is 5'10 and weighs 170 pounds can have a 30' inseam or a 34' inseam. Inseam measurements mean a *lot* if you're buying pants... I'm pretty confident that you wouldn't buy jeans online because they "fit" someone with roughly the same height and weight measurements as yours... and the only real danger in doing it anyway is looking a bit foolish.

You can't judge the fit based on height and weight.

Rig fit depends a *lot* on torso measurements like pants depend on inseam.
Owned by Remi #?

Deimian

Thanks for the help! It is 43 cm. BTW: The rig is Basik ;).

Such harness lenght fit from 1m 68 to 1.75. But this is not the only main measurement. You must take care of the waist and the thight too.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

For the lateral from center of the hip ring to the opposite one
For the thight, like UPT from hip bone to hip bone.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Oh I agree, but, considering how various rig manufacturers define, measure, and call their rig sizes, measuring any part of the rig is pretty meaningless unless you are talking to someone who knows that particual model very well.

For used sales, I'll maintain my point is as good as you can get without trying the rig on.
Remster

One of the best way to sell a rig is to have it packed, bring it at the DZ and put it on a potential customer's back. When you mention your rig for sale, indicating your weight and height gives a good indication on the rig size. Now, about the price : take the rig present price and multiply x times by 0.9, x representing the number of years since the manufacturing. ie. If the rig (and components) are from 2001, well you have to multiply the present price by 12 times 0.9 which is equal to the present price times 0.28. The average depreciation of rig is 10% a year. If the rig is in good shape, the price can vary.

Good luck :)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

BKR

For the lateral from center of the hip ring to the opposite one
For the thight, like UPT from hip bone to hip bone.

That would be 60cm and 75cm.

erdnarob

One of the best way to sell a rig is to have it packed, bring it at the DZ and put it on a potential customer's back.

I guess this is more doable in a huge DZ. My DZ is not that big (1 caravan and 1 supervan or grandcaravan, I am not sure). Internet gives you more potential customers. Up to know (for a few months already) I've trying to sell it all together, but with little success. That is why I'm thinking in separating the parts. I assume that doing so I won't sell the main (a Stiletto 150 from '91), but I'll manage to sell the reserve (a Tempo 170 from 2003) and the harness/container (a Basik Advance Out from 2001).