Megatron

Maximum Wind Gust

I noticed the S&TA that I just had a FJC with two weeks earlier taking HIS rig off! That was it for me! If he is not going up, neither am I!

Was a good call, based on the landings I watched!

I gotta say...CONGRATS! I wish ALL young jumpers were as smart as that. Keep it up and pass that great attitude on the other young jumpers!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I decide to not break out my TI-200 calculator when I decide to jump or not. What I do, is go stand out in the middle of the landing area, (not when people are landing) and just feel the wind. Seems dumb, but that is how I really get a feel for what the wind is doing. How it is varying by direction, strength, turbulence, etc.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I noticed the S&TA that I just had a FJC with two weeks earlier taking HIS rig off! That was it for me! If he is not going up, neither am I!

Was a good call, based on the landings I watched!

I gotta say...CONGRATS! I wish ALL young jumpers were as smart as that. Keep it up and pass that great attitude on the other young jumpers!

THANKS for calling me a "Young Jumper"! LOL! I am also a member of POPS and SOS! Been down a few roads and didn't get this far being TOO stupid....well, maybe a little! :)
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

I decide to not break out my TI-200 calculator when I decide to jump or not. What I do, is go stand out in the middle of the landing area, (not when people are landing) and just feel the wind. Seems dumb, but that is how I really get a feel for what the wind is doing. How it is varying by direction, strength, turbulence, etc.

That's what I do too, and here is a somewhat non-scientific explanation of why I think it works. (Well, it has worked for me so far.)

Under canopy we are used to a certain amount of wind in our face. If we feel a stronger wind than that while standing on the ground, it means we might be coming straight down on landing, or perhaps backing up, and this makes us uncomfortable enough to not jump.

As we say in aviation: It is better to be on the ground and whish to be in the air than being in the air and wish to be on the ground.

Gusts like turbulences can create a negative angle of attack for your parachute and a very sudden stall occurrs. If that happens really near the ground, you will not have the time to recover. Time for an extra good PLF if you react fast enough.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

As we say in aviation: It is better to be on the ground and whish to be in the air than being in the air and wish to be on the ground.

Gusts like turbulences can create a negative angle of attack for your parachute and a very sudden stall occurrs. If that happens really near the ground, you will not have the time to recover. Time for an extra good PLF if you react fast enough.

Love it when a search brings up an old post which still answers my question :-)

Guess I'm not driving 2+ hours to the dz that is still open tomorrow (winds 10-12 mph, gusts up to double that!). Didn't sound like good jumping weather for me, but was looking for an explanation of what actually happens with strong gusts.
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr