Doug_Davis

Container Differences?

As I'm in the market to buy my first rig Ive been looking at containers both new and used.
I'm trying to learn the differences between the major container manufacturers and their models. ie Curv, Vector3, Wings, Icon and Javelin. (Edit- forgot Mirage and Infinity as well.) Which brings the total to 7!!:S
Other then finding out Curv doesn't offer magnetic riser covers (how important is that anyway?) what are the major differences if any? Out of these I do want something FF friendly. I'm a new belly flier now but would want to play around with FF in the future.
Not really asking for which one you "like" more but the actual technical or design differences if any.
Any help appreciated.

From a technical point of view, they're all fairly similar. It's like looking at similar car models from Ford, Chevy or Dodge. A lot of comes down to personal preference, as they all do they same thing in about the same way.

Shop used. Find a rig that will for you and the canopies that you can comfortably jump on the day you buy the rig (not something that will fit the canopy you 'hope' you can jump in 6 months).

Once you find 'x' brand of container that fits you, your canopies and your budget, ask about that specific one. Ask here, ask your instructor, and ask your rigger (get a rigger), 'Hey, what do you think about Javelin made in 2003, with a ringed harness and stainless hardware?'

When you have a specific container in mind, we can help. When you're just asking 'general' questions, there really is no answer aside from getting the personal opinion of anyone who wants to respond.

you forgot Mirage B|

Anyway, when you're new and flat flying, just concentrate on finding one that fits and is properly sized for the main/reserve combo you need. Don't buy ragged out gutter gear just because it's cheap and you're impatient. Almost everything made in the last 10 years is freefly friendly or can be updated/repaired/freshened up accordingly. If it doesn't have an RSL, add one.

Most, if not all of the options like mag riser covers are just extra bells and whistles you don't need. I'd focus more on making sure all the components are in good working condition: tuck tabs that tuck, pilot chute/mesh in good repair, same goes for bridle/kill line, d-bag not falling apart, deployment handles of a type you are comfortable with, velcro on handles airworthy, etc, etc...

Check out the manufacturer's websites and the gear section here to read reviews for a starting point.

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Make sure your container fits the proper size reserve canopy in it. And fits in the middle of the range, not in the "it can be shoehorned in there" range or the "it's smaller than I like but I will probably be OK" range.

Decide on reserve first, main second, container third. Maybe you've already done this.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

We had a progression weekend towards the end of last season where the instructors gathered a collection of various different types of container and showed us some of the differences.

They had about 8 different models and from my notes, a lot of the differences were around the design of the reserve area - so whether you can see none of the round spring-loaded pilot chute cover (eg Mirage, Icon), part of it (eg Javelin, Wings) or all of it (eg TSE Viper, JumpShack).

There were also options for RSL (some containers don't have these as standard - in the UK from 01 Jan 2014, all A licence jumpers MUST have an RSL fitted and connected, optional for B and above). Other differences were around how the main gets packed, where the bridle lies, the order of folding the flaps etc and whether the leg straps had hip rings or not (I think they're called articulated but don't quote me on that, lol). Chest straps can do up in different ways too plus there may be in-built pockets for hook knives.

From what they told us, pretty much all modern containers work the same way, it's the style that varies which can make a difference to comfort and fit on different people. And obviously making sure you know exactly how to pack your particular make and model.

As to which ones are better than others for anything in particular, I have no clue!
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

davelepka

That one? Have you contacted the seller and confirmed that the harness and container will fit you and the canopies you can safely jump today?

Not much detail in that ad. No sizes, no serial number, no pic........

Seller sent me pics. Im waiting to see if she will ship it to my rigger and let them act as escrow for the sale.

Its a V349 and will fit a 170 normal or 190 Pulse.
During my canopy flight course with Flight 1 I used a 210 Silhouette down at Deland. The Silhouette felt like driving a bus, big and slow.
After the course Maxine, the instructor, suggested that for purchase I look at a 190 Storm or Sabre 2. I used a 7 cell main during my SL course to get my A license so I like the idea of buying the Storm.

With that container I'd have to start with a 190 Pulse due to its size but when I got ready to downsize I could get the 170 Storm then.

Whats everyone think of Curv's? They have stock rigs, in stock, in neutral black colors in the size I need with lots of extras for very reasonable price ($2380). And being a stock rig the turn around time is short.

Whats everyone think of Curv's

I ordered one. I've had a Vector, a Reflex, and a Wings before.

They are super comfortable, and unlike a lot of rigs out there, come fully loaded. They incorporate a lot of small features to improve fit, and comfort, and their construction is excellent.

But, if you are aiming at the larger sized main/reserves, even the VC4 doesn't' allow for a very large reserve.
Remster

The search option on this site provides a gaggle of info on this topic. BUT to emphasize on a couple things. YOU are are low number but excited jumper. THAT IS 100% COOL. BUT you should think about buying a 'used beater' as opposed to a 'new car...' As you progress you are gonna dink, dank, slid, splash, etc. your first rig until you get more comfortable in the saddle. THAT is 100% normal. I encourage folks to buy something that FITS, is FUNCTIONAL, and FLIES according to your experience. If you really wanna step outa the gates with a new rig. Look at Parachute Labs (Jumpshack) Shadow Racers and the Rigging Innovations Generas. Those will give you new, molded, and safe rides FOR CHEAP until you are prepared to get your final saddle etc. Lastly - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - talk to your instructors and riggers.
Woot Woot!

Doug_Davis

I was aiming for around a 176 or 193 for a reserve. Ive been told reserves fly slower and safer than their size would lead one to believe.

..which is what makes buying one the size of your main not immediately crazy, despite the fact it'll be unfamiliar, low and potentially somewhere hazard-filled, the first time you jump it.

The "reserves are docile, having a smaller one will probably be fine" idea contains the skydiving red flag "will probably be fine".

Good luck with your purchase... the modern containers you are looking at are all good, and you are unlikely to go wrong with them B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

woppyvac

The search option on this site provides a gaggle of info on this topic. BUT to emphasize on a couple things. YOU are are low number but excited jumper. THAT IS 100% COOL. BUT you should think about buying a 'used beater' as opposed to a 'new car...' As you progress you are gonna dink, dank, slid, splash, etc. your first rig until you get more comfortable in the saddle. THAT is 100% normal. I encourage folks to buy something that FITS, is FUNCTIONAL, and FLIES according to your experience. If you really wanna step outa the gates with a new rig. Look at Parachute Labs (Jumpshack) Shadow Racers and the Rigging Innovations Generas. Those will give you new, molded, and safe rides FOR CHEAP until you are prepared to get your final saddle etc. Lastly - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY - talk to your instructors and riggers.

Which is what everyone keeps telling me, but when most used gear I see advertised is only $300 to 500 for a complete rig cheaper than buying a brand new rig is (when buying stock from manufacturers now in the off season and getting package discounts) I just dont see the point in going used.

I found that one Vector 3 container I linked to above for just $1400, but when I emailed the seller asking if she would ship to a rigger for purchase...well she stopped responding so I think its a scam.
For example right now in the classifieds is a store asking $3250 for a two year old container and reserve. I can get a stock brand new container (customized to my size) and PDR brand new for just 3600, so its only saving me $400 bucks. So why not buy new?

I have a Racer, which I'd say has several differences from most rigs that I'd classify as "major" and should be noted by anybody looking at one.

1. pop-top reserve pilot chute
2. 2-pin reserve, requiring a different AAD
3. different kind of RSL
4. orange cutaway cables, requiring no grease/oil

Then there are more minor differences, like single-layer harness webbing.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Doug_Davis

Which is what everyone keeps telling me, but when most used gear I see advertised is only $300 to 500 for a complete rig cheaper than buying a brand new rig is (when buying stock from manufacturers now in the off season and getting package discounts)

That's a good point, if you are finding such situations. (Of course, you are talking about newer used stuff, rather than 5-10 year old gear).

Part of the problem may be the whole MSRP vs dealer price situation:

Someone looks at the suggested new retail prices online, thinks to themselves "there's no way I can afford that!". They only start looking for used gear, because they don't realize that it isn't just a case of looking at the price shown on the web, but contacting dealers too.

Yeah Im not going older than 5 years on used stuff

Here's where talking to a good rigger can really help you.

Javelins have been basically the same since before 2000. Pilots have been out over 10 years, as have been Sabre 2's, and many other current canopies. PD reserves have been around even longer.

These are just the ones that I'm personally familiar with, and that are appropriate for newer jumpers (e.g. Stilettos have been out for even longer, but they're not appropriate for most newer jumpers).

A closet queen can be a great deal -- something that someone bought when they were enthusiastic, and then the gear outlasted the 100 jumps worth of enthusiasm.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Yeah Im not going older than 5 years on used stuff

Here's where talking to a good rigger can really help you.

Javelins have been basically the same since before 2000. Pilots have been out over 10 years, as have been Sabre 2's, and many other current canopies. PD reserves have been around even longer.

These are just the ones that I'm personally familiar with, and that are appropriate for newer jumpers (e.g. Stilettos have been out for even longer, but they're not appropriate for most newer jumpers).

A closet queen can be a great deal -- something that someone bought when they were enthusiastic, and then the gear outlasted the 100 jumps worth of enthusiasm.

Wendy P.

Gotcha. Thanks Wendy.

So what do people think of the Thomas Sports Viper?
http://www.thomas-sports.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=27&Itemid=18

After watching the youtube video reserve deployment failure video of the AAD, seems a pop top design would eliminate that possibility. Also I will admit from a sheer coolness factor the Alien Skin looks awesome.
And the price is pretty reasonable compared to many US companies.

Pros and cons?

Doug_Davis

So what do people think of the Thomas Sports Viper?
http://www.thomas-sports.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=27&Itemid=18

After watching the youtube video reserve deployment failure video of the AAD, seems a pop top design would eliminate that possibility. Also I will admit from a sheer coolness factor the Alien Skin looks awesome.
And the price is pretty reasonable compared to many US companies.

Pros and cons?

Unless something has changed I do not believe that rig has a TSO certification from the FAA, so it would not be legal for you to jump in the US. (visiting jumpers could jump it, other caveats, etc.)
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I believe this to be incorrect and the teardrop has a TSO.
TSO C23D I believe. So it is legal for a US citizen to own and jump one in the states and for visiting jumpers.

The gear is fine, resale value is much less than other containers and its got a funky looking RSL setup which people tend to dislike but is functional.

That said, the pilot chute is strong and extraction is quick.

The cutter is mounted on the bottom of the container and takes a bit of extra steps to close up the reserve (but nothing incredibly difficult).

Containers with cutters mounted on the bottom of the container rather than on a flap. (Racer, Javelin, Vortex, Teardrop, Wings to name a few).