PixieUK

Is 20+ years too old for a reserve parachute?

JerryBaumchen

Hi keith,

***Zero square reserves were mentioned during the acid-mesh scandal.

^^^^^ This.

I hope that this answers your question.

so i guess now my question if the acid mesh is not a concern. does the pull test tell you anything on an old reserve. I thought that was why you wanted to do it on a reserve that was 20 + years old even though it has no rides.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Guy brings in a 1991 rig. Both main [Raider by Glide Path and a Raven 2} are the same yr. Vector 2 harness. Has a leg strap deploy. I had a Master change it to BOC and add magnetic riser covers and velcroless toggles. Is AAD ready. All is in near new condition. Gonna pull test the main and reserve. Expect both to pass.  

Can this go into service?

35 minutes ago, baronn said:

Can this go into service?

Maybe.  The magnetic riser covers are a change to the TSO configuration.  Since they cover the reserve risers, they may affect airworthiness.  They are an alteration.  Did you get approval from the manufacturer or the FAA, or did you just do it?

5 hours ago, mark said:

Maybe.  The magnetic riser covers are a change to the TSO configuration.  Since they cover the reserve risers, they may affect airworthiness.  They are an alteration.  Did you get approval from the manufacturer or the FAA, or did you just do it?

I modified my Vector I with magnetic riser covers and made hundreds of jumps in that configuration. The only problem was them opening when I was sideways to the wind while dispatching IAD students. Magnetic riser covers always reclosed themselves when the side wind was eliminated. If I had to modify the rig again, I would install three layers of magnets, like more modern Vector 3. # layers meaning one layer on the rise cover and double layers on the yoke.

6 hours ago, mark said:

Hi Mark,

Based upon a conversation with Bill Booth many, many yrs ago; they are not part of the TSO configuration.

The OP might want to check with UPT to confirm.

Jerry Baumchen

28 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Mark,

Based upon a conversation with Bill Booth many, many yrs ago; they are not part of the TSO configuration.

The OP might want to check with UPT to confirm.

Jerry Baumchen

I've sewn magnets onto a few V2s and Vector tandems over the years. I encased them in pieces of TY 12. They are not perfect but they are a hell of a lot better than the Velcro they replaced. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2014 at 11:17 AM, megamalfunction said:

P.S. In 2022, when my rig is 20 years old, I pledge not to try and dump my old ragged out used gear on some poor unsuspecting A License newbie!

hey man, is that rig gone?  i know a guy looking for one.  used gear market is a total pain in the arse today...