PixieUK

Is 20+ years too old for a reserve parachute?

If a round reserve was grounded by the acid mesh fiasco, then it must be pull-tested at every repack. It also has to be tested with bromocreasal at every repack.
After tensile-testing for 25 years, most of those round reserves are worn out. The tensile-testing process is non-destructive. When done properly, it is difficult to see the minor weave separation with the naked eye. But if you pull-test 20 times in the same place, you will eventually tear good fabric.

Hi Rob,

If a round reserve was grounded by the acid mesh fiasco, then it must be pull-tested at every repack.

Simply not true.

It all depends upon what the paperwork says.

It has been many, many years since I submitted my request to the designated FAA office for approval. My procedure does not require any further testing once the canopy has passed the req'd testing.

JerryBaumchen

Hi keith,

would it then need to be tested at each and every repack thereafter . or less often once a year

Your question is too general in nature. It all depends upon the specific reserve canopy.

One would need to know specifically what reserve you are interested in; then we could proceed from that knowledge.

Back during the 'acid mesh problem' I had a rather long conversation with the then V-P of National Parachute regarding ongoing testing; she wanted my thoughts on the subject. My response was that if acid was not present during the testing then how could it get there in the next 1-year time-frame. I. e., if you do not have paint on your house, and you do not paint your house, how can it have paint on it 12 months later.

Just my thoughts,

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

We never did hear the full story from the fabric mills or mesh mills or parachute manufacturers, but as I understood it, all suspected round canopies were supposed to be tested for acidity (bromocreasol green or litmus paper). If they (chemically) tested neutral, then they could be returned to service.
OTOH if they proved acidic, the second sage was pull-testing.
If they passed pull-testing, then you washed them and re-tested them. A few lofts had FAA approval paperwork to re-certify canopies "acid mesh free."
Butler insisted that I pull-test every used canopy that came through his loft. He also insisted that I put ages drops on canopy models that were mentioned in the acid nest recalls.
So I suspect that Butler's "alternative method of compliance" was slightly different than Baumchen's.

By now, I am just glad that Free Flight Enterprises, GQ Security, National and Para-Phernalia have given us additional excuses for not repacking PEPs older than some of our glider pilot customers.

I gots a 25yr old reserve. That thing has no jumps on it, is still crispy, and the lines are in SUPER shape. I would jump that thing any time of day. Actually thinking I must go base the darn thing.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

I gots a 25yr old reserve. That thing has no jumps on it, is still crispy, and the lines are in SUPER shape. I would jump that thing any time of day. Actually thinking I must go base the darn thing.

Who made that reserve?
When did they make it?
Does it have meshed turn windows?
Was the mesh ever tested for acid?
Was it mentioned in the acid mesh recalls?

Hi Rob,

We never did hear the full story from the fabric mills or mesh mills or parachute manufacturers

This true. What we were able to 'determine' to some extent was that the fabric mills, in order to broaden their market, had added a fire retardent to the mesh. This was req'd if they wanted to sell to tent mfrs as fire retardent mat'ls have to be used where personnel are sleeping.

The fabric mills never told anyone about the change. And with the change, the mesh still met the Mil Spec req'ments.

The problem was that, over time, the fire retardent coating reacted with the nylon fabric in the canopy, weakening the nylon fabric.

A couple of local jumpers both had SAC reserves that were grounded due to the resultant AD. They then bought brand new National Phantom rounds, only to have those grounded due to the later SB. They both quit jumping after that.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi keith,

would it then need to be tested at each and every repack thereafter . or less often once a year

Your question is too general in nature. It all depends upon the specific reserve canopy.

One would need to know specifically what reserve you are interested in; then we could proceed from that knowledge.

JerryBaumchen

well I'm talking about a late 80's era square reserve. one of the super raven's
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

It was never just the mesh. I had a bias constructed round that had two different panels of material next to a single panel of mesh. One fabric panel had completely degraded to wet toilet paper strength. The adjacent panel, both next to the same piece of mesh for their entire life, seen the same environment, temperature, moisture, etc, was full strength. Of course there was no way to know if those two ripstop panels, both the same color, were from the same bolt, or even lot or manufacturer of cloth.

I've also had a ram air reserve, no mesh to be seen, fail at the wet toilet paper level. In a limited area on one skin.

Though PIA Dupont (now Invista) was given samples at the time through PIA but never came back with any results. Either didn't investigate, didn't find or understand issue, or choose not to disclose.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry,

Of course there was no way to know if those two ripstop panels, both the same color, were from the same bolt, or even lot or manufacturer of cloth.

This is/was one of the problems back then. Mfrs merely bought the mat'ls to the Mil Spec; and expected/hoped that they would be the same. And there is nothing wrong with the mfrs doing this.

Though PIA Dupont (now Invista) was given samples at the time through PIA but never came back with any results. Either didn't investigate, didn't find or understand issue, or choose not to disclose.

I'll take door #3, Bob.

JerryBaumchen

Yes,
Councilman

I had the same experience.
I pull-tested a hole in a white, round reserve. It was made from two different batches of white fabric. Some of the panels looked like they were made of MIL SPEC LoPo-ish fabric and they were fine, but the other panels looked like they were made of some sort of coated fabric ... not quiet water-proof enough for tents, but definitely coated more than F-111. The coated fabric failed at less than 30 pounds.

I only ever pull-tested a hole in one square reserve. It was made by Para-Flite .. Safety-Flier (?). Any ways, it was made of white, pre-F-111 fabric. Since the canopy was so small and so old (made in the late 1970s), I did not bother trying to revive it. Rather I told my boss to sell him a Raven.

I think mine was a pioneer. All the fabric looked right and normal. One panel was full strength. One failed before my scale really registered. Two or three pounds.

Ram air was laser. Tail around label in contact with coated free bag also failed at 2 to 3 lbs.

These weren't just sub strength. They were total failure. [:/]

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Oddly enough, the only square reserve I've ever seen rip was a safety flyer. It had a musty moldy smell but no visible discoloration. Wag picked a cell up and popped it and ripped it from nose to tail. And I mean nose to tail. In true Wag fashion, when it split he just kept pulling with his big long monkey arms. I didn't champ it but I'd say it tore at around 12 to 15 lb.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

JerryBaumchen well I'm talking about a late 80's era square reserve. one of the super raven's

Since Ravens were never mentioned in the acid-mesh recalls, there is no requirement to test them for acidity.

Zero square reserves were mentioned during the acid-mesh scandal.

jimjumper

I have a 28' Phantom that is on the list. It's in a National Warp III container and it's great for rigger training. Acid mesh testing, round flaking, 2 pin container closing. I wouldn't want to jump it anymore though!

Warp IIIs are also great training aids for teaching them how to sew on replacement Velcro.
I am trying to remember .... does a Warp III have 2 miles of Velcro or 3?