LongWayToFall

Bail out rig recommendations?

Hi all!
Been awhile since I last posted, and about a year since my last skydive. I have started persuing a career in aviation, working towards CFI (still a long way off). I have started doing aerobatics in a super decathlon, and the rental rate is $20/hr more to borrow their rig, hence I am considering buying my own rig. I may only break even, but it would be nice to have a square instead of round.

The rig I would need would be a seat rig, although passengers use a back rig. I noticed that bail out rigs run the reserve cable housing up the mlw, rather than over the top like sport rigs. I am used to punching out/down, any issues with strength having to pull up?

Basically I was curious what seat rigs are out there, and if any are more appropriate to previous skydiving experience. Also, what kind of pricing can I expect (definitely used haha)
Thanks all!
Micah

I have a Softie "back" model with a square reserve. The only difference from a round reserve was about $100 extra for the deployment bag.

I think I have heard of a square reserve in a "seat" model, but it was less straightforward due to the length of the risers, and I don't remember which manufacturer offered it.

You will need to talk to each manufacturer about it.

I don't know of a seat available with a ram air. The long risers required for a seat would mean custom steering lines ( not an issue). But flight characteristics would be interesting with load 4 feet lower. I don't know of any manufacturer that has a d bag for their seat. Also I don't know of any seat or reserve that have been tested and tso'd with a ram air or seat rig respectively. Maybe ParaPhernalia offers one but I don't think so. Suck it up and practice your PLF's. If you need it you be more than happy to have anything.

Reasonable, air worthy seats are rare but expect to pay at least $800. Probably more like $1200. Softie, Butler, or Strong. Do not buy a military surplus seat. They want too much and you don't want to land the canopy.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Decathlons are designed to accept both seat and back type PEPs.

If you have enough leg room, I would recommend a back-type PEP ... for several reasons.
First, your sight-picture changes less when you pull lots of Gs.
Secondly, far more riggers have back-type ratings.
Thirdly, several PEP manufacturers will, cheerfully install a square canopy in a back-type PEP (Aviator and Softie), but none of them will install squares in seat-type PEPs.

"... I noticed that bail out rigs run the reserve cable housing up the mlw, rather than over the top like sport rigs. I am used to punching out/down, any issues with strength having to pull up?

....................................................................................

Some PEPs route ripcord cables over the shoulder, while others route them up the MLW.
Ho!
Hum!
Ripcord pull angle makes little difference as long as you have rehearsed bail-outs and have reasonable arm strength.
Just slip both thumbs into the handle and punch it away from your chest as hard as can. Pulling in line with the ripcord housing will reduce pull-force by 5 or 10 pounds, but still within any healthy human's strength. Continue pulling until you can throw away the ripcord. Look up at the most beautiful parachute in the world.

Hmmmm. Ok. I guess you are right, round doesn't really matter. It just ruins my idea of a perfect stand up landing in front of the babes on the beach as the plane streaks fire into the ocean lol.
My instructor in the back uses a back rig, but I thought the front seat only removes the lower cushion. I'll have to check next time. I also run the seat in the full aft position, so I'll need to check spacing. My knees love to clip the dash. Also gotta see how far back I can get the stick. The stop seems to be determined by the size and density of your genitals.
I have a flight Wednesday, I'll report back my findings. Thanks a bunch for the help!!

My Decathlon customers use a seat in the front and back in the rear. IF you can wear a back rig in front you'll have a lot more to choose from. Just don't buy a Security 150, 250 or 350. Seems like everyone wants lots of money for these antiques.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE