rapper4mpi

What Was Your Canopy Downsizing Progression?

I have just under 200 jumps and have an exit weight of just under 180 pounds.
21 : Manta 288
50 : Cruiselite '220
120 : Hornet '150
Jumped Hornet '170 and Sabre '170 earlier on. Recently jumped a friend's Sabre '135. Downsizing from the Cruiselite '220 to the Hornet '150 was a big step, but bear in mind that I load my Hornet at just under 1.2:1.
I'll be staying on my Hornet for at least another 120 -170 jumps and then consider downsizing.
Will
"Look before you jump, don't die until you're dead"

Manta 288 - 12 jumps
Raider 220 - 47 jumps
Will probably be getting a 170 sq ft. canopy after another 50 - 100 jumps, possibly a spectre, I hear those are nice.
Haven't ever busted myself up bad enough to need to go to the hospital. I had a no flare landing once when I was just getting off of radio on the Raider 220 but the canopy was big enough that all I did was sprain my foot.
"Yea, I didn't think we'd actually be turning any points..." ~ Goat #4

Manta 288, PD 190, 210, etc. (student and rental gear) - 40 jumps
Sabre 150- 200 jumps
Sabre 135- 150 jumps
Spectre 135 - 50 jumps
Safire 129 - 200 jumps
Cobalt 105 - 50 jumps
Total around 680 jumps
And the most difficult / dangerous downsize was definitely from the student gear to the Sabre 150. I felt out-of-control for a good 20-30 jumps, and had my only (fortunately minor) skydiving injury due to a panicked low turn.
I personally think tiny canopies can be acceptably safe as long as you downsize in sensible steps. Sudden large steps are the big danger.
geoff

*Let's see, now mine*
durring student jumps & the few jumps after just graduating:
Manta 288 - 6 jumps
Falcon 300 - 5 jumps
Skymaster (230 or 260, not sure) - 5 jumps
then I got my own gear:
sabre 190 - 63 jumps
sabre 170 - 2 jumps (borrowed)
And I'll soon be jumping that brand-new Hornet 170 (1.37:1) sitting in my bedroom without a home (i.e. container)! :D
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

I've got around 1600 jumps...jump numbers a approximate and do not include other demos w/ 2-10 jumps on each
Manta 288 (.7) 20 jumps
Saber 190 (1.0) 100 jumps
Saber 170 (1.2) 200 jumps
Spectre 150 (1.5) 20 jumps
Stiletto 150 (1.5) 800 jumps
Crossfire 129 (1.8) 200 Jumps
I currently fly the following...
Crossfire 119 @ 1.9 w/camera gear 1.8 w/o
Velocity 103 @ 2.2 w/camera gear 2.1 w/o
Velocity 96 @ 2.25 w/o Camera gear
http://www.aerialfusion.com

"Interesting to see how many people downsized and then upsized. I guess it's called learning. I salute you."
Nah, its called a fracture of the shaft and neck on the femur, and it took over 2 years to heal.
For me, anyway, its called terror....:).... [caring nazi voice on]Brothers and sisters out there, I say unto thee one last time, puhllleeeze be careful [caring nazi voice off].
Cya
D

After carefully checking if Lisa is online

*looking around for Skybytch*

Y'know, this attitude is why I resigned as Canopy Nazi. Have I said anything about any of these posts - until now? No. All I can say to this is.... don't look at me funny when shit happens, you get hurt and I say I told you so.
Yes, I'm in a bitchy mood today.
pull & flare,
lisa

I bought a Saber 150 when I graduated student
Its almost been 2 years .......
And I still jump it......
Landing is one thing, but what I do till I land -is my expertise.
Never have cared much for landing, myself. I am reeally uninterested in swooping for me. Or high performance.
I pay attention to aerodynamics and body movement and exits, and the fact that the damn thing opens, after that hope all goes well.
Ann ~ www.AirAnn.com
Levin in RW suit.. I have pictures!!!

Chill Lisa, ommm, ommm, I'm with you on the itsy bitsy pocket rocket Icarus Ridicarus things. I don't know why peeps give you such a hard time, when we all know you are passionate about trying to prevent our brothers and sisters busting themselves up.
[kind caring voice on] don't you listen to those nasty rude people [kind caring voice off].
Cya
D

"Y'know, this attitude is why I resigned as Canopy Nazi."

Y'know, this defensive "I'm a martyr" attitude is exactly why I've quit watching this forum as much. It seems that everyone wears their heart on their sleeve now-days, and the slightest joke sets them off. So for all you newbies out there, tread lightly, strongly evaluate every thing you say (before you say it), so as not to upset anyone.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Yes, I'm in a bitchy mood today.

*open mirage mini-pack, find bottle hand 2...no wait 3 midol to skybytch*
It's ok hunny, they will learn when they have to visit one of their friends in the hospital cause he downsized and hooked it in at a "swoop competition"

Y'know, this defensive "I'm a martyr" attitude

I'm acting like a "martyr" because I take offense to people giving me shit when I haven't said ONE WORD in this thread about people's canopy choices? Hmmm.... guess I'll be going now.
pull & flare,
lisa

It's all done outta love and admiration, Lisa....
I'm glad to see all these Hornets out there.....validates to myself that I made a good choice....I love mine !
Manta 288 about 30js
Skymaster 260 2js
Sharpchuter 245 1j
PD-230 about 30-35js
Hornet 190 current 21js.....loaded at 1.34:1
Don

My biggest change was on jump #51: first square, first piggyback, first single-point cutaway system, first hand-deploy. The transition program was to go to 5000 feet and do a clear-and-pull, land, buy vast quantities of beer.
Second big transition was several years ago when after 1000 jumps or so on my PD 210, I jumped a Sabre 135 15 times before going to my FX 107. On the other hand, I like to experiment with canopies. Here's my list:
T-10, MC1-1B, steerable conversion of T-10
Several varieties of 28’ rags and lo-pos (single-T, double-L, 7-TU)
PC
Viking Superlite
Strato-star
Strato-star 7-cell conversion
Cruisair
Cruislite
Cloud Lite
Nimbus
XL Cloud
Pegasus
Manta 288
Mavarone 249
Vengeance 120
Stiletto 120
Sabre 107, 120, 135, 150, 170
PD 150, 210
Velocity 96
Spectre 120
FX 99, 107
VX 63, 89, 93
Jonathon 120
Jedei 135
Pioneer Hi-Lifter
SET 400
PD425, 384
Icarus 365
24-flat, 4-line release
24-flat, several unsuccessful slider-equipped models
Super 22
Phantom 24
Preserve III
PD126R
Vector tandem reserve (PD360?)
And 5 different canopies I designed and built
Mark

Lisa, I know personally I've enjoyed and learned quite a bit by reading your CN stuff (before the drama), I'm sure many others have too.
The check to see if Lisa was online stuff was supposed to be a lighthearted joke, I think, atleast I thought it was, but I tend to be wrong quite a bit. :)"Are they short-shorts?" T.B.

I think Lisa's response was a sarcastic response to some sarcastic taunts. I see people with 300 - 400 jumps that have downsized pretty fast. To each there own just don't preach downsizing. The wrong person might get the wrong idea. What happened to being humble and safe? Now we just pick on those that still preach safety. That sets a great example! NOT! So everyone keep your f**** egos and small canopies to yourself and STFU.
SEBAZZ.......

Go Sebazz.... I was going to say I'm seeing a lot of rapid down sizing on some of these posts and frankly... it scares me. There is no way my DZ would let me jump something thats at like a 1.5 or higher loading at my 300 jumps. I'm seeing people that are pushing 1.4-1.5 at WAY less jumps then I have. And call me a pansy... but 1.4 was and is going to be plently for me for a while when i get a new canopy.....
Too many lurkers could read this and assume that gee.... I need to keep up with the Jones and get a smaller canopy. Injuries suck and i don't like to see people hurt them selfs if they were pressured into stupid choices.
"Hey.. Its my camera, and my remote... I'll rewind if I want to!" ~ Goat #2