AviationTD

Flight Concept Esprit

My crystal ball is broken today. How about you tell us what the label says? If there is no label sewn on the canopy, look inside the cells for infor stamped on a rib. Give us that info and we can make some progress.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

That would be a Flight Concepts Esprit?

You could ask the manufacturer... Some things I can google:
- oP zanopy
- might open hard/hard-ish (?)
- was a predecessor to the pro series
- was a high performance canopy in it's day, not sure if that means sabre1 or stiletto type canopy, I'm leaning towards sabre1 at this point
- PIA lists the volume as follows:
Manufacturer Model DOM Volume Area
FLIGHT CONCEPTS ESPRIT 170 94/12 496 192

ciel bleu,
Saskia

might open hard/hard-ish (?)

I would think the same thing if the slider wasn't modified. One of the biggest pockets I ever seen!

It was not modified, It was built that way from the start.
It is a slightly tapered wing that was brought out in 1994.

Actually a pretty good canopy even by todays standards.

It flys like a Sabre with a deeper toggle response and flare.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

AviationTD

I noticed something else on the slider. The metal ring on the slider (large corner grommet?) is discolored. Does that mean that this parachute have been in the water before? Does that make the canopy not airworthy?

What colour is the dis-colouration?
What type of metal (brass, nickel-plated brass, aluminum, stainless-steel, etc.) are the slider grommets made of?

like MEL said, it's a good canopy, not the most modern but nothing wrong with it, I jumped one for a couple years, then had a Pro Series until someone borrowed it and never returned it

have your rigger look it over
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I noticed something else on the slider. The metal ring on the slider (large corner grommet?) is discolored. Does that mean that this parachute have been in the water before? Does that make the canopy not airworthy?

The Brass grommets that are installed will turn a greenish, turquoise color after being subjected to a moist or cold environment.
With that said most brass grommets on older canopies will turn if they are not used for sometime.
Just have a rigger look for mildew and also have him/her clean or replace the grommets.

MEL

AviationTD wrote:

What colour is the dis-colouration?
What type of metal (brass, nickel-plated brass, aluminum, stainless-steel, etc.) are the slider grommets made of?

See pictures attached.....

That greenish dis-colouration is normal on brass grommets that have landed on wet grass and promptly packed. That verdigris (sp?) corrosion is normal on brass that has been left damp for a few years.
The corrosion grains are so tiny that they don't damage canopy fabric.
Those grommets will easily last another 500 jumps.
More important is to inspect the bottom side for dents.

Thanks everyone for some insights. I checked the grommets and found no sharp objects or dents. I also inspected every inch of the canopy and found no tears, no old patches, and no potential tears. The fabric is still quite slippery. I guess this thing is airworthy, but I will take it to the rigger before I can think about using this.

AviationTD

Thanks everyone for some insights. I checked the grommets and found no sharp objects or dents. I also inspected every inch of the canopy and found no tears, no old patches, and no potential tears. The fabric is still quite slippery. I guess this thing is airworthy, but I will take it to the rigger before I can think about using this. Pilot chute is the only thing that is missing. Any recommendations?

There is probably a reason they don’t make them anymore.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

AviationTD

Sparky

Know any? Maybe, they went on to build better canopies? If there is a bad reason why they stopped making Esprit, I definitely would like to know.

BTW
if you like your Esprit I have a very cheap Nova 150 for you :P

there you go
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=39005;[url]

AviationTD wrote:
Quote:

Sparky

Know any? Maybe, they went on to build better canopies? If there is a bad reason why they stopped making Esprit, I definitely would like to know.

BTW
if you like your Esprit I have a very cheap Nova 150 for you Tongue

there you go
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=39005;

A problem with that thread is that it states that the Esprit was basically the same wing as the Nova.
It was absolutely not.
I had hundreds of jumps on both.

MEL

AviationTD

Sparky

I wouldn’t call it a bad reason. But they no longer make the CruisAir, the Unit and several other “square” canopies. They came up with better designs, materials and construction methods.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals