bbrodes

Wings or Vector, also, cut in laterals?

Looking to buy a new rig, it will also be my first. I have narrowed it down to a wings or vector v3. Wondering if anyone has expierience with both, and which is the better choice. the v3 doesnt offer cut in laterals and wings does, but im not sure if they are that good. I dont know much about them besides the fact that they help the container hug your back. Anyone have any input?

I both a wings and a vector. I really like the wings rig a lot and it's a lot cheaper than a new vector. Full disclosure I own an older vector but I don't think you can go wrong with a wings rig. That's just my personal opinion though....
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

It's remarkable how poor the marketing of some rigs can be.

After you mentioned cut-in laterals for the Vector, I checked their web site on their products, and order form, and there's no mention of the feature at all. Nothing in the manual either. Maybe you'd see it if you dug through their photo galleries.

Didn't even know they offered rigs without the hard lateral stabilizers, one of those design features long associated with RWS/UPT.

Whatever. I modified my own Racer and Vector II to give them cut in laterals. :)

Didn't even know they offered rigs without the hard lateral stabilizers, one of those design features long associated with RWS/UPT.

That is a carryover from the days when rigs had belly band and the pilot chute pouch was not the belly band. The stiffener was to help prevent twisted bands.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

skydiverek

Correct. I only saw it digging thru their Facebook page. Even more 'unknown' options there (like two choices of legstrap non-slip hardware):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.188825226148.128358.64761516148&type=3

Thanks Bartek for posting the link. The two types of leg strap hardware, since you mentioned it is worthy of more discussion. (Since you pointed this out.) There are actually 4 common types (And sometimes more.) In the picture at the bottom of the facebook page they show the Wichard and the CWH types with the spring bails. The Shorter Wichard bail is very strong and does in fact wear a depression over time in the webbing, (But I know of NO instance where it has worn thru,) I hear some people like this. And this is a popular option for many UPT student rigs. Many Dz's have purchased the Wichard just so the students cannot easily change straps. The longer CWH spring is a little more forgiving if you need to adjust the straps after you don the rig. You can use gloves to lift the bail on the CWH, but not easily. You cannot use gloves and adjust the Wichard bail type. Either is a great option, but any potential purchaser should be, IMO, intimately familiar with the pros and cons of their gear. I have used both types and for me the peace of mind knowing my leg straps are going to stay put is a great piece of mind.

Here is a past link: John Rich

C

(It does seem that there is an "unknown" perception about some of this but most Vector purchasers seem to be more knowledgeable about what is available as options.)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

My preference would be Wings, I've owned Wings, Mirage, Vector and Icon.
The vector rig is very well built and high quality but it comes at a price...
The Wings is much more inexpensive, especially if you know a dealer ;-) and the delivery time is only 8 weeks compared to vector's 34 or more! The cut-in lateral option is usually free and offers slightly more comfort and better fit.
Skydivers are nothing but a bunch of Narcissistic A$$holes!!
Front risers were made for pulling! Pal
MuFF#5640
D.S. # 2012

wings. bang for buck if those are the only two rigs you are looking at. cut in laterals really are only needed if you are thinner than your rig. they keep the rig from shifting on your back in freefall by hugging your body. if you are the same width as your rig.. i'd forgo it. I've owned a wings, mirage, and racer... Racer is my preferred, then I'd go mirage, then wings.
Woot Woot!

i owned both, i prefer the vector micron.
reasons being:
reserve bridle and pc are protected much better.
reserve pin cover stays closed better,
vector offers a skyhook that is field proven 1000s of times.
collins lanyard
vector has hard housings in the risers.
no metal reserve ripcord.
proven magnetic risers that work.
i sold my wings and bought a used micron for the same price as the wings sold.
if you get a vector make sure your canopies are properly sized for the container.
too tight is very bad!!!
also if you plan on wingsuiting cut in laterals are not reccomended.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

The first point is a matter of partly exposed reserve PC vs completely covered. You can argue that a partly exposed reserve PC has less flaps to clear. But as you said, this is a matter of preference. The reserve bridle is pretty well protected on Wings, or in any rig that I know of. I've never seen any reserve bridle exposed.

The second point: How is that? I mean, you can't even lift the reserve pin cover flap completely on Wings, how can it be worse protected? Because the bottom end is more flexible? It is, but you can't lift the flap, which on my opinion makes it pretty difficult to expose the reserve pin, it can't snag on anything (as opposed to the vector reserve pin flap)

roostnureye

collins lanyard

Fair points, specially the second one on my opinion

roostnureye

Addressed already by skydiverek. Wings have all that.

Deimian

The first point is a matter of partly exposed reserve PC vs completely covered. You can argue that a partly exposed reserve PC has less flaps to clear. But as you said, this is a matter of preference. The reserve bridle is pretty well protected on Wings, or in any rig that I know of. I've never seen any reserve bridle exposed.

The second point: How is that? I mean, you can't even lift the reserve pin cover flap completely on Wings, how can it be worse protected? Because the bottom end is more flexible? It is, but you can't lift the flap, which on my opinion makes it pretty difficult to expose the reserve pin, it can't snag on anything (as opposed to the vector reserve pin flap)

roostnureye

collins lanyard

Fair points, specially the second one on my opinion

roostnureye

Addressed already by skydiverek. Wings have all that.

my wings had a metal Dring with a steel cable.

vector has spectra type cord to reserve pin.

and as far as the riser covers go, you cant misroute a vector. you can misroute a wings. (reason for the warning label on wings lower flap)

also the reserve flap is reversed (tucks up) on a vector. where as a wings its a barley stiffened short tab that tucks downward.
(i had 2 out on a wings because of this)

it was my fault for leaning back on the rig in the crapper of a twin otter, the pin got pushed up and almost out of the loop, it didnt come completely out until opening shock.

it is not possible for this to happen on a vector because of the design of the tuck tab.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

roostnureye

also the reserve flap is reversed (tucks up) on a vector. where as a wings its a barley stiffened short tab that tucks downward.
(i had 2 out on a wings because of this)

it was my fault for leaning back on the rig in the crapper of a twin otter, the pin got pushed up and almost out of the loop, it didnt come completely out until opening shock.

it is not possible for this to happen on a vector because of the design of the tuck tab.

Correct, check this thread on this:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=542700#542700