skytribe

Juki 1900 Bar Tacker

Depends on the model 1900 _S does not. 1900 _A does require air but those aren't around so much. 1900 or 1900A HS (heavy, standard) is what you want unless your up for the new ones. New model available 1900AWS extra heavy duty. AFAIK most of us have 1900 or 1900A HS. Also a new upgraded control panel is available. google juki 1900A for factory brochures.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Does anyone with one know if the require compressed air ?

There are just three reasons to use compressed air on a bartacker.

1.To raise and lower the presser clamp.

2.To operate a special made fixture or jig for a special application that would hold the work part or parts in place for sewing.

3. To feed the material into the machine

Air lifted clamps are usually installed on the older mechanical tackers to eliminate fatigue in the worker and to speed up production.

Since the Juki 1900s come with an electronic presser foot lift, the need for a air operated lift is basically eliminated.

But to answer your question; no, I have not seen a factory 1900 come with air on it.

With the larger pattern tackers (yes, there is a difference...) I have in fact seen air operated lifts installed on them. These are the 1910,1920,and 1930 series machines.

[inline LK_1930_SS.jpg]

I have a heavy duty 1900AN-WS on order right now. This has the extra large hook and bobbin case.

Any of the 1900 machines are great for the rigging loft though.

Examples: LK-1900-SS, LK-1900-HS, LK-1900A-SS, or LK-1900A-HS and etc....

Also of note, the EProm that we have will fit any of the above models including the LK-1900AN-WS.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Depends on the model 1900 _S does not. 1900 _A does require air but those aren't around so much. 1900 or 1900A HS (heavy, standard) is what you want unless your up for the new ones. New model available 1900AWS extra heavy duty. AFAIK most of us have 1900 or 1900A HS. Also a new upgraded control panel is available. google juki 1900A for factory brochures.

Terry,
The numbers are like this:
LK = Cylinder arm bartack machine

1900 is the series and revisions follow the 4 digit number.
Examples are 1900,1900A,and 1900AN

The last two are subclass identifiers.

SS = Standard duty

HS= Heavy Duty

WS = Heavy duty with large hook

There are a few more subclass identifiers but we really do not want to use those.

MEL

How about those air cooling nozzles that blow air directly onto the needle? I've been looking at those in videos, but all I see is the end piece, where the air comes out. Do those require an air compressor?

Yes they do, but it be an air pump attached at the machine itself.
They are mostly used on sewing machines that are sewing thick fabric really fast and in a short amount of time.
This type of sewing builds up heat on the needle and melts the thread at the eye of the needle.

Another solution to the heat problem is to use Titanium coated needles instead.

[inline topstitch_diagram_l.jpg]

Cheers,
MEL

The 1900 at least came with air lifters. It's in the engineering manual and I ran into one once when I was looking for one. They required 0.5 to 0.55 MPa and 1.3 L/min. The second letter was S for standard and A for pneumatic.

It seems they didn't offer it on the 1900A, at least not on brochure.

Is the AN just faster or something else different? Haven't figured it out.

Do you know if the IP-410b control panel can be retrofitted to a 1900A?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The 1900 at least came with air lifters. It's in the engineering manual and I ran into one once when I was looking for one. They required 0.5 to 0.55 MPa and 1.3 L/min.

They may have made some that way,but a standard "1900" did not come with it.
I have a early 1900 and also (2) of the 1900A-HS here in the shop now.

So just to be clear; you are saying that a 1900-SA has pneumatics on it; not a 1900A-XX.......correct???

Is the AN just faster or something else different? Haven't figured it out.

Well it has a different drive system, improved oiling system, different electronic switches, and is 200 RPM faster. 3200 rpm vs 3000 rpm on the 1900A model.

Do you know if the IP-410b control panel can be retrofitted to a 1900A?

I do not know for sure, but I am betting that it would not work. The servo drives need to be compatible with the servo motors.

MEL

The 1900 brochure showed the name convention. Can't find it now. But first letter was S,H,W for standard, heavy, and extra heavy. SECOND letter was S or A for Standard or Pneumatic. That's why 1900A brochure show first letter code and second letter with only choice of S. A no longer available I guess.

http://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/download_e/catalog_e/lk1900aip410b.pdf Code toward end. 1900 brochure showed two options for second letter.

Here is a 1920 HA on ebay and one of the photos shows the air regulator underneath. That's what's in the 1900 engineer manual I have.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Juki-LK-1920-HA-Industrial-Box-Stitcher-/1712138[url]
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The 1900 brochure showed the name convention. Can't find it now. But first letter was S,H,W for standard, heavy, and extra heavy. SECOND letter was S or A for Standard or Pneumatic

I have some older manuals lying around here and will look through them for it.

How do you like the new clamp system that they show in the manual that you posted?

Pretty slick I think as it really makes clamp changeout painless.

Also, this machine is in really good shape the best that I can tell.

My wife will shoot me if I buy another...:)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUKI-Bartacking-Machine-Used-LK-1900HS-/181297896439?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item2a36325bf7

MEL

I don't have the new clamp system. That was the sales brochure. I still haven't gotten good at clamp changes.

That one you linked does look good. Just what I was looking for for 4 years at a reasonable price and within driving distance. But I don't need two.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

masterrigger1

Another solution to the heat problem is to use Titanium coated needles instead.

Those needles actually look affordable too. I'll have to try some out.

For some projects I've gotten in the habit of doing 3 tacks, sit and wait, blow on the needle til it's only lukewarm again, then repeat the cycle. That's with machine speed turned down to 800. At higher speeds smoke may come up from the material

I have had the good fortune of having a Juki 1900 enter into my basement. A friend bought it from another rigger in FL who no longer needed it. It seems to be working after we assembled it. It appears to be the original 1900, not one of the revised versions and I do believe it has patterns by MEL installed as well as a NS plate and feet as spare parts. All good.

I do have a couple questions though. I have figured out that it takes common DPx5 needles. But it did not come with any spare bobbins. The bobbin looks like an ordinary class 15 bobbin, common as dirt. Can I use those? 

Also, I have always just used 304 stitches with E thread for installing lines. Someone told me that B thread is often used. I can find no references to where B thread is used. What is the correct thread size for suspension line finger trap bar tacks? And who is a good source for parts like a spare bobbin case?

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I have had the good fortune of having a Juki 1900 enter into my basement. A friend bought it from another rigger in FL who no longer needed it. It seems to be working after we assembled it. It appears to be the original 1900, not one of the revised versions and I do believe it has patterns by MEL installed as well as a NS plate and feet as spare parts. All good.

I do have a couple questions though. I have figured out that it takes common DPx5 needles. But it did not come with any spare bobbins. The bobbin looks like an ordinary class 15 bobbin, common as dirt. Can I use those? 

Also, I have always just used 304 stitches with E thread for installing lines. Someone told me that B thread is often used. I can find no references to where B thread is used. What is the correct thread size for suspension line finger trap bar tacks? And who is a good source for parts like a spare bobbin case?

Hi Ken,

PM sent.

Jerry Baumchen 

On 12/21/2021 at 1:23 PM, gowlerk said:

Ken,

There should be two sets of marks on the needle bar. One set for a 135 X 7 Needle (DP X 5) and another set for a 135 X 17 needle. The machine comes setup for both sizes of needles from the factory.

As far as the Thread/Needles, run 18-20 sized needles for B thread and 19-21 for E thread.

Also, Use B thread on Sport canopy lines and E thread for Tandem canopy lines. Always use E thread for stab attachments for both Sport and Tandem canopies.

MEL