justinbaker27

1st Main PD Sabre2 or Pulse? Advice please :)

Hello I need some advice on my first Main purchase. I was going to get a PD Sabre2 260 main and wait the 3 months for PD to build it. However I just found a used PD Pulse 260 in excellent shape. When watching the PD videos it says the Pulse is easier to land than the Sabre2. For a new guy would a pulse be to much to handle? Can anybody personally speak for there landings? Any advice at all on this is appreciated Thank you P.S. I weigh 260lbs and don't really want to get a PD navigator

All things being equal & and the appropriate wingloading, with its flatter trim the Pulse is a more docile canopy than the Sabre2. I only have a couple jumps on a Pulse but I didn't find the landings any more difficult than the Sabre2, just slightly different timing.

I prefer the flight characteristics of the Sabre2, but it really comes down to personal preference.

Appropriately loaded, a Pulse is a great choice for a newer jumper.

One thing to be aware of is that the Pulse does pack about a size smaller than other canopies of the same size. Be sure, then, that it won't pack too small for the container that you'll put it in.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was jumping a 200 elliptical the sucked landing on hot no wind days. I made three jumps on a demo PULSE on a Sunday. Monday morning I ordered one! I made two more and really fell in love with it! It levels out fast after hard toggle turns and the landings are a no brainer even in hot no wind days. This is my opinion of the PUSLE. I've not jumped a SABRE.

FWIW,

I've about 50-60 jumps on a Pulse, & 100+ on a Sabre2. The Sabre2 opens off-heading on virtually every jump. That does get annoying, sometimes. The end cells are also always not inflated. That's also easy to deal with.Other than that, the openings are fine. The Pulse opens on-heading, & smoother/softer. I would've bought one, but found a good deal on a Sabre2, first. The Pulse does fly flatter. It's also easier to pack.

No one has addressed why you're looking to buy w/only 7 jumps under your belt. Have you run this by your instructors? You should. It's too easy to buy gear that's either inapropriate, or unecessary. Were I in the market, now. I'd choose a Pulse. Mainly, for the sweet openings, & ease of packing. Good Luck.

PiLFy

FWIW,

No one has addressed why you're looking to buy w/only 7 jumps under your belt. Have you run this by your instructors? You should. It's too easy to buy gear that's either inapropriate, or unecessary. Were I in the market, now. I'd choose a Pulse. Mainly, for the sweet openings, & ease of packing. Good Luck.

Well because of my size and exit weight it is very difficult to find a used canopy, I already have a brand new container (Mirage G4 with a PD281 Reserve + Cypres 2) Reserve & Cypres was in stock and not a problem, I went to Mirage in Deland to order my Container and had them measure me for it and that only took month. However when it comes to mains if I have to wait 3 months to actually get it then I wanna have the process started now is all :) The reason for the original post or question is because if a Pulse 260 (loaded at 1.15) would be good for me to use after I get my A license (hopefully by the end of the month as much as I'm jumping) I can get that canopy now, not only will I save money but it's color Green/Black matches my Rig, but the reviews say that might not be best for landing as a newbie like me. So I thought I would get some advice, regardless which route I choose I will have a min of 25+ training jumps before I ever get to jump my own gear

If you go with the used Pulse, make sure that it came new with the current line attachment design or has had the mod done. The line mod gives better flare power. If it has not been done, it requires a reline and changing the attachment points. That will add to the cost of the used canopy.

Pulse= On heading openings that are quick, but not hard. Very flat glide to get you back from long spot and short recovery arc to toggle input. Packs smaller and easier to pack due to Optimum fabric bottom skin. Dependable canopy that will get you down safely. Not real sporty.

Sabre2= Openings going every which direction. Trimmed for steeper flight than the Pulse. Tapered tail so sportier flight characteristics. Longer recovery arc and a powerful flare. Depending on WL, good entry canopy to learn to swoop. A new canopy of this size in all ZP fabric will be quite the experience to pack. Especially if you are trying to get it into a tight D bag.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo

A new canopy of this size in all ZP fabric will be quite the experience to pack. Especially if you are trying to get it into a tight D bag.

My container Mirage G4 (M8 Model) was designed to hold a 280 main with the option to go up or down 1 size they told me. So if I start with the 260 and that's already 1 size down is that bottom skin fabric gonna make things to loose?

My first main was a Sabre2 210 loaded at 1.1. Loved it. Yeah the opening are interesting and the end cells take their time inflating but that's nothing.

Nice performance and the landings are fine once you get them dialed in, which on your wing loading shouldn't take long. The flare at the end is good so it's no problem doing a tip toe, stand up landing on a no wind day.

And it is a lot more fun to fly than a navigator, I realized that the first time I yanked on the right toggle...

When I'd just gottenmy A. I found the Pulse to be easier to land. The flatter glide makes timing the flare easier. Do you not have the opportunity to jump it? Contact Mirage to see if it would be too small for your container. My Main is a size smaller for my container. I like it, as it makes packing easier.

justinbaker27

I was going to get a PD Sabre2 260 main and wait the 3 months for PD to build it.

With only 7 jumps I'd recommend the used Pulse, and also order the Sabre2. This way when you chop the Pusle ands lose it you'll have a back-up main in the pipeline for when you have more jumps. :P

justinbaker27

*** A new canopy of this size in all ZP fabric will be quite the experience to pack. Especially if you are trying to get it into a tight D bag.

My container Mirage G4 (M8 Model) was designed to hold a 280 main with the option to go up or down 1 size they told me. So if I start with the 260 and that's already 1 size down is that bottom skin fabric gonna make things to loose?I don't think that will be a problem. The sizing chart has down to a 9-cell full ZP 230 for an M8 listed as "soft" so a hybrid 260 should fit just fine.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

PiLFy

FWIW,

I've about 50-60 jumps on a Pulse, & 100+ on a Sabre2. The Sabre2 opens off-heading on virtually every jump. That does get annoying, sometimes. The end cells are also always not inflated. That's also easy to deal with.Other than that, the openings are fine. The Pulse opens on-heading, & smoother/softer. I would've bought one, but found a good deal on a Sabre2, first. The Pulse does fly flatter. It's also easier to pack.

I think for people who fall outside the typical jumper build (smaller and larger people) it may be wise to buy sooner than normal. I'm not saying buy new, but buying properly fitting and comfortable gear appropriate to their skill level. Rental gear doesn't really accommodate these people very well.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I jumped a Sabre for about 20/30 jumps but when I got to try a Pulse i found the openings softer and on heading - the pulse took a bit more to learn when it cam to landing, but after finding the sweet spot I have now 80 + jumps on a PULSE and have just ordered a new rig with a PULSE as the main.

Good luck, Blue Skies and Welcome !

I have a Sabre 2 in one rig and a Pulse in another that I bought recently. I like the Sabre 2 very much. The Pulse is not my cup of tea. It handles sluggish in my opinion compared to the Sabre 2. I have already ordered a Sabre 2 to replace it. I would try to jump them both and decide for yourself. Good luck!

P.S. I have a Pulse 230 with only 10 jumps on it I would be willing to sell you. :)
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
My goal is to make every jump a fun and safe one. Blue skies!
Some of my videos...