warchild69

Just bought a main that was stored wet, how to clean???

Well, I bought a rig that had the main put back wet,.... Very light mildew/mold on it and the pilot chute. It's not black, and it's pretty much dust like..... Canopy is like new with like new lines!..... Just smells a little musty...

The rig had a very small "patch" of mildew too on the bottom..... Washing it is not a problem, maybe like 20 specks and that's it!

I have searched on here a lot and found no real answers, what's my option for cleaning? Either soaking it in a tub, or wiping it down with washcloths!?!? Any soap?!?!?

Thanks guys!

More times than not, cleaning will be far more damaging to the canopy than the stain is. Couple of jumps and you should be smell free. Have a rigger look at it to make sure there is no structural damage and that's all I'd be worried about. In my humble opinion of course.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

200 jumps obit and the lines are perfect.... Fabric crispy... Yes I got a good deal!
Talked to the seller, he swears it wasn't like that when he shipped it and the main was out of the D-bag and only put in it for shipping... It's so slight I think he didn't notice it, as there was just a little on the rig around the main pack tray & main wasn't installed in it when it was shipped.... That shows me it was wet when packed in the rig and stored!

Calling PD tomorrow!

warchild69

200 jumps obit and the lines are perfect.... Fabric crispy... Yes I got a good deal!
Talked to the seller, he swears it wasn't like that when he shipped it...

One more argument in favor of an independent inspection prior to sale.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You should have sent it back. It truly may be junk. Or not. If you didn't by it as a take your luck wet canopy then you did not get a good deal. A good deal would have been $100.:)

Riggers didn't want to do it either because their newbies and never have or their old farts and think you should never have bought it and want nothing to do with it.

Woolite is no longer the woolite of the 40 years ago. It now is no different from many other complex detergents. Use simple soap. Ivory flakes if you can find them but I believe they have been discontinued. Just grate up bar ivory soap. Don't think you've said whether it's ZP or F-111. F-111 will be toast for the most part if you wash it. Although I washed a 1978 1.5 ounce main in a clothes washer.;) (Don't do it and don't even ask. But at the time it was appropriate and did work)

ZP I'd hang it by the tail and use a wash cloth to spot clean it, even if the spot is the entire sthink, insiide and out. See why riggers didn't want to do it?;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Yea,.... I laid it all out this morning, to really take a good look at it other than just taking a quick peek and thinking oh shit..... Had a second person take a look too and it seems the person that sent it, laid it out in some dirty carpet to put it in the d-bag before shipping it...... I think I mistook dust and carpet fiber for mildew!...

Laid it all out and went over it with just a damp, not soaking wet washcloth, and cleaned the entire topskin & that took care of it...

Leaving it unpacked and laid out for two days pretty much got rid of the smell, and wiping it all down got the dust off. I think it just needs to be aired out now...

I traced the smell back to the D-bag... I think whatever canopy was in it before this one, was the culprit or the rig may have been stored in a humid place... I just freaked out when I smelled it and seen it on the rig and a dusty canopy... Going to wash that D-bag!