parachutist

Slocks up high on risers?

So I have this recurring experience of low-time jumper who bought a canopy with HMA or Vectran lines. The owner will collapse the slider, but not pull it down below the toggles. The slider sits up at the soft link area and vibrates on the outside lines, wearing them away in 150 jumps or less.

Here's an example. 23 jumps on this new canopy's lines:
[inline 20131231_203937_resized.jpg]

These newer jumpers usually don't want to bother pulling the slider down behind their heads. I was thinking what about a Slock option at the tops of the TY-17 risers, installed horizontally right where the webbing is sewn together, at the top of the joint (also right at the top of the dive loops usually).

I considered using fabric bumpers similar to what's on Sigma mains, but I'd rather not push the slider up further.

Has anyone tried this, or have any other ideas to serve the same purpose of protecting the lines and soft links from wear?

Chris

parachutist

I considered using fabric bumpers similar to what's on Sigma mains, but I'd rather not push the slider up further.

Why not use the pilgrim hats PD provides with Slinks™? The semi-rigid "brim" would wind up in about the same place you propose to sew on the Slocks.

Mark

mark

Why not use the pilgrim hats PD provides with Slinks™? The semi-rigid "brim" would wind up in about the same place you propose to sew on the Slocks.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your input. It made me think more about exactly what I'm wanting.

I think neither the hat nor the slock provide a full solution here. Slocks (or hats if the slider gets pulled down past the brims) would keep the slider down below the lines to preserve the lines, but it wouldn't prevent the slider from moving further down and interfering with the brake toggles/lines. Hats per their original intent would keep the slider above the brakes but would allow the slider to ride up and bugger-up the lines.

So what about a hat design with two short slocks that only stick out toward the outside of the riser: One slock at the brim area, and one slock about 1" above it. Pull the slider down past the top one so it stays parked in place between the two.

Chris

Chris,
Snaps are probably your answer.
I have installed them on a couple of sliders for this reason.

The stud of the snaps are installed on a tab that is sewn to each riser about two inches down. The button is sewn to the outer border of the slider.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

parachutist

... The slider sits up at the soft link area and vibrates on the outside lines, wearing them away in 150 jumps or less ...

I made Spandex sheaths that cover the links and the first 2 inches of the lines. This is where the slider winds up and the grommets rub only against the Spandex. They are tacked down to prevent movement.

I use a stretchable material because the lines need to spread out going toward the canopy. Works fairly well. Might need replacing often if you make a lot of jumps on it, but it is cheap and easy, and you can always use multiple layers.

masterrigger1

Chris,
Snaps are probably your answer.
I have installed them on a couple of sliders for this reason.

The stud of the snaps are installed on a tab that is sewn to each riser about two inches down. The button is sewn to the outer border of the slider.

MEL

MEL, Thanks! I may end up using that option. One customer who needs a solution just got your coated vectran X-fire2 lines installed. He's enjoying the orange lines... the original lines got worn fast (circa 300 jumps)

mark

Why not use the pilgrim hats PD provides with Slinks™?

Building on the Pilgrim hats idea... here's a possible fix. The Witch hat works well on the packing mat, but hasn't gone on a jump yet:

[inline 20140103_113800_resized.jpg]

[inline 20140103_114341_resized.jpg]

Chris

jumpwally

I still don't get the concept of slinks...whats the big attraction ? seem more hassle then they are worth...:S

There are two benefits, from what I understand:

1. You can pull your slider down to the bottom of your risers (and secure it behind your head). Good for someone having enough experience who wants to loosen their chest strap and open up their risers/lines but doesn't want the hassle of a removable slider or RDS.

2. Slinks--when installed correctly--are stronger than rapide links. I don't have the data on me, but as I recall they have about twice the breaking strength.