rsb5267

compatible helmets and audibles?

I was thinking about buying the Benny Helmet and an audible, however I am uncertain whether the helmet even has a slot for an audible/If you'd even be able to hear the audible in freefall since it is open face.

My question is: should i opt for a full face if i want an audible or is there a (cheap) open face helmet that i should use for audible compatibility? I'm considering the optimum II audible, if that matters

thanks guys, I'm new to this whole gear buying thing

I have an older style Benny, & an Optima2. There's plenty of room w/a size large liner. The Helmet size determines liner thickness w/the Benny. The Shell only comes in one size. The new version has actual pockets for Audibles. I simply stuck some velcro on the back of mine.

You'll be able to hear it just fine. I have mine facing backwards in the helmet (sound hole facing away from my ear), & its volume turned down to less than half. Even while wearing earplugs, I always hear it loud N clear.

I'm not an instructor. Talk to yours at the DZ about this. Audibles are great. So long as you don't become 100% reliant on them. They are back-up devices.

Be careful with your measuring tape before ordering, perhaps getting one size bigger. I got my benny(many years ago), fits like a glove but when I stick an audible into one of those pockets, I lose all of the protective foam because my audible is forced into my ear and the back end of my audible is pushed against the shell of the helmet.

Again, the Benny's shell only comes in one size. The Liner determines sizing. Ordering a larger size will only yield a thinner liner... I've a size large, & have plenty of room on one side for the Optima. An extra large Benny might be too tight, as the liner is thinner.