Tonto

I'm a little nervous vs I'm not scared.

I am also wondering, because you have said in a thread long time back, that you like to teach the difficult students.

....and now you capitulate prior a student after his 9. jump?

Difficult students I have taught in the past were ones that had a specific problem, like spinning, or being a paraplegic. These problems deal largely with airflow over the human form, and sometimes extend into slightly altering the way equipment is required to operate.

Before you see me as capitulating..

1. He's not my student. I cannot capitulate from a project I never started.

2. Lets see if he recovers before we deciede if I've capitulated.

3. If he recovers, lets see if he wants to skydive with a crushed T12.

4. If he wants to skydive again lets see if the CI will allow him to.

5. If the CI allows him to lets see if he wants to do AFF.

6. Of all the difficult students I've taught, not one had a problem with attitude.

.....and when he have the balls to came back you will not allow him to jump on your dz.....and in the end (hypothetical)to given the responsibility to some one else on a other nameless dz?

Personally, I don't think coming back in this case has anything to do with balls.

I'm staff. I'm not the DZO. I'm not the CI. I don't get to deciede who jumps and who doesn't. I just get to choose to work at DZ's that make good decisions, and I think allowing him to jump again would be a poor decision, so I would either decline the offer to teach him, or change DZ's if someone else took on the task.

I feel when all the experience I have says "Don't to this. There is no value in this for you or the student. Walk away." that the right thing to do is listen to what my experience has taught me.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I used to find it very nerve wracking to put
people out on their first freefall after static line.

"Why didn't you pull!!??"

"I liked it, I wanted to keep going."

And it's even funnier they expect you believe that rather than they just froze up for a few extra moments from the same overload they experience during the static line jumps. Bet they had great body position though during all the jumps

(static line - ready set ARCH!!, {blank out for 10 seconds} - hey, I'm under a canopy, how'd that get there?)

(PRCP static line - ready set ARCHREACHPULL!!, {blank out for 10 seconds} - hey, I'm under a canopy)

(first freefall - ready set ARCH!!, {blank out for 10 seconds} HEY - REACHPULL)

Tonto - nice story, really tells it well. I like the ones that smile and are quiet and introspective and just say the truth. "Hey, you nervous/scared?" "Kinda, maybe just a bit jazzed right/excited really" Either way, as long as it's not "NAH, I've got great big balls, let me tell you how much I drink and how many women I claim to have had, and why can't I just go by myself, it's a piece of cake"

posers don't last long - they graduate, drink too much, get too loud, go into freeflying way too soon and are way too crappy at it, and then quit when no one strokes their ego. It takes about 1, maybe 2, years.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

(first freefall - ready set ARCH!!, {blank out for 10 seconds} HEY - REACHPULL)

And there are the others, on their 5 second delays, "Archthousandtwothou...fuck!PULL!!!" And they'll all swear it was at least 5 seconds when they were still close enough to the plane to smell their fear. ;)

I have a friend named 3-second-Bob who finally resorted to CRW at around 30 jumps because hop & pops were all he was doing anyhow. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

ONETWOTHREEFOURFIVEPULL

:D:D:D
(I'm not sure just how guilty I was of that one, it was a long time ago and I think I just wanted to pull before my flat spin kicked in.......)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Why didn't you pull!!??"

"I liked it, I wanted to keep going."

And it's even funnier they expect you believe that rather than they just froze up for a few extra moments from the same overload they experience during the static line jumps. Bet they had great body position though during all the jumps

Some of us really do enjoy the ground rush. :)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

There is an instructor at my DZ that now fears that they will always get the "difficult" students. When I was getting licensed there was a guy that did not really listen to instructors and blew off critiques. On one jump he went into a flat spin/unstable mess and ended up pulling WAY low. When the instructor talked to him about it he said well I wanted to fix it before I pulled so I wouldn't pull unstable. At that point the instructor refused to work with the student anymore. Point of all this, there are always going to be students who think they know what is best and don't truly appreciate the gravity (no pun intended) of the situation. So you try your best to make them see it, but there is only so much you can do. Some people just aren't cut out for this.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

You don't have to threaten to ground me,

I have neither the inclination, nor the authority. I just jump for fun. And so I can wear the t-shirts.

and you didn't do any static line, did you?

You don't have to threaten to ground me,

I have neither the inclination, nor the authority. I just jump for fun. And so I can wear the t-shirts.

and you didn't do any static line, did you?

Nope. I only jump because I don't like landing in planes. ;)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Nope. I only jump because I don't like landing in planes. ;)

yeah, that makes me a little nervous. But it's not like I'm scared of it or anything

When I did my first hop n pop with my own gear I counted to five seconds in about one. 'Twas a diving exit from a Skyvan. I threw the pilot chute, which hit my leg, started to wrap it, cleared, and everything deployed normally.

I was not the most composed of students :).

When I did my first hop n pop with my own gear I counted to five seconds in about one. 'Twas a diving exit from a Skyvan. I threw the pilot chute, which hit my leg, started to wrap it, cleared, and everything deployed normally.

I was not the most composed of students :).

I am curious, were you trained to dive for your student H&P?

Teaching to dive makes sense, especially after that one skydiver (March of 05?) had a cypress save after hitting the rear hortiz wing (got knocked out) of a Beech during an EmerExit.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I explained murphy's laws of combat, and told him not to be the low guy in the morning. (Murphy's always looking for the low guy..what's the worst that could happen?)

Sorry for the retarded question ... but I just want to understand ....
Who is the low guy? Is the guy who thinks "what's the worst that could happen?"
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

If anything can go wrong it will. The worst that can happen is you die.

t

I don't think so, the worst that can happen is you live the rest of your life as a quadrepaligic. At least that is what I would consider to be worse the dying.

t

***I don't think so, the worst that can happen is you live the rest of your life as a quadrepaligic. At least that is what I would consider to be worse the dying.

i agree
canopy collisions are bad

t

***I don't think so, the worst that can happen is you live the rest of your life as a quadrepaligic. At least that is what I would consider to be worse the dying.

i agree
[url]

Ditto.

We had an accident at our DZ when I was just skydiving a few months. Very experienced jumper but very very uncurrent, still jumping his old Stiletto, was doing a special photo jump, landed out together with cameraman, turned too low.

He survived initially but was paralysed from the neck down. He passed away about 2 weeks later.

I had a long talk with my parents, about pulling the plug if something like that ever happens to me. His family wouldn't, I'm not 100% sure if mine will but at least they know how i feel about it. Should it ever happen and I feel otherwise then I'll have to let them know ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I had a long talk with my parents, about pulling the plug if something like that ever happens to me. His family wouldn't, I'm not 100% sure if mine will but at least they know how i feel about it. Should it ever happen and I feel otherwise then I'll have to let them know ;)

Aren’t there proper legal documents that can take your families wishes out of the equitation?

Aren’t there proper legal documents that can take your families wishes out of the equitation?

Probably. But I didn't go that far.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Aren’t there proper legal documents that can take your families wishes out of the equation?

Yes, it's called an advance health care directive, sometime colloquially known as a "living will." In some states it allows doctors to take you off an artificial ventilator even if you're conscious (like in the case of a quadriplaegic). In some other states, the plug can only be pulled if a doctor certifies you as being irreversibly comatose or vegetative. Check with an attorney in your own state for the particulars.

Technically, yes, your living will overrides the wishes of your family. But practically, your living will will only have real-world effect if it sees the light of day and is read by your doctors. If your family has possession of it and never shares it with your doctor, then the doctor won't know about it. To guard against this, I suppose you could leave a copy of the document with your lawyer or some other neutral party with instructions that it be shown directly to your doctors if anything happens to you.

The reason I asked whether the students were trained on the 1-hand or 2-hand method is because it revisits the debate over whether teaching students the 1-hand method increases the chances of a student initiating an out-of-sequence cutaway like this incident.

The reason I asked whether the students were trained on the 1-hand or 2-hand method is because it revisits the debate over whether teaching students the 1-hand method increases the chances of a student initiating an out-of-sequence cutaway like this incident.

They might do it just once like I did. I got pillow handles on that rig. I did it on the right sequence for the second time.

why would you want your parents to stop riding horses if you have a skydiving accident ??

Nevertheless T. , I hope that the student is getting better and that he can learn from the "attitude" thing...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM