camaroluvr447

Buying my first helmet. Any tips?

So I am buying my first helmet, and im on a budget. I have narrowed down to two potential options below. Any tips on what to choose and why are greatly appreciated. Im open to other suggestions as well! Thanks!

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/bonehead-echo-3474

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/benny-3408

Some rules can be bent. Some can be broken. But you cant break all the rules all the time.

Grab a Benny from Chutingstar. They're a great helmet @full price. I've had one for years (old liner style), & have never regretted it. I would argue that it offers significantly more protection than that Bonehead you're also considering.

Benny all the way.

I have the half shell version for another sport. It's the same helmet except it says Bern on it. Cheaper and better than the other option you listed.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Buy the Benny and spend the money you saved on jump tickets.

This advice comes from a guy who owns two Bonehead helmets, a Sidewinder (camera helmet), another obscure camera helmet, an HS2, two leather frap-hats and has worn out more ProTecs than he can count.

So quick question from a Protec wearer: I like open face, am still a brand new novice, and the small Protec fits me well, so its what I bought. However, I'm hating taking it on and off to deal with goggles and notice that the Benny has a goggle track. I just use the clear soft tube type goggles. Does that goggle track work well enough to bother investing in a second open faced cheap helmet?

NickyCal

So quick question from a Protec wearer: I like open face, am still a brand new novice, and the small Protec fits me well, so its what I bought. However, I'm hating taking it on and off to deal with goggles and notice that the Benny has a goggle track. I just use the clear soft tube type goggles. Does that goggle track work well enough to bother investing in a second open faced cheap helmet?

Route your goggles strap through the helmet and out through the holes in the back. When you open just lift the goggles up and put them on top of the helmet.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

NickyCal

Whatever you do :)
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I just got the Benny and it is great! Only issue so far that I have is the chinstrap loosening up in between uses. So put it on while on the ground at the beginning of the day to verify a good fit. Otherwise you might end up like me with a helmet floating up an inch an a half in freefall (thought it felt close enough)! :S Personally I am considering stitching my chin strap in the length I like it because of this issue. Very comfortable helmet though. As for Protecs, I used them for rentals and like the comfort of the Benny better. Also, make sure you read the warning label on the inside of the helmet for a good laugh!

When it's broken in and you know the chinstrap won't need to move, sew it!

Glad to know the Benny works for you, I"m going to see if the DZO will buy some to replace the helmets in our student room.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If anyone gets the Benny, go for the upgraded liner, just $10 extra I think. Gives one a cloth covering over all the foam rather than just exposed foam that wears relatively quickly.

[edited: directed to newbies in general, not the OP who already got his helmet]

ChrisD

***So quick question from a Protec wearer: I like open face, am still a brand new novice, and the small Protec fits me well, so its what I bought. However, I'm hating taking it on and off to deal with goggles and notice that the Benny has a goggle track. I just use the clear soft tube type goggles. Does that goggle track work well enough to bother investing in a second open faced cheap helmet?

Whatever you do :)
C

Nicky,
To answer your question about purchasing a Benny with the Goggle track, and I'm only answering because no one else has :)But on the other hand I know a few jumpers that use their ski helmets and they are happy with the results with the strap fully on the outside. But then again they are using ski goggles and not flex-z's or Kroops. One enterprising fellow I know has a "Giro" (not sure of the brand name) but that helmet has the sides really cut back so the goggles fit flush on his face.

Just to be clear to the others here, I am not advocating ski helmets over any other helmet, nor do I know everything. Sparky has given you one option, but fogging goggles is an issue that plagues everyone and IMO has given rise to the popularity of full face helmets, but they are not immune from fogging either.

C

And could yo enlighten me as to what a Palynoligist is?
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I went ahead and ordered the Benny since they're on super sale at the moment. Figured it looks a little bit cooler than the Protec if nothing else! My 38 year old glasses wearing self could use a little help in the cool department these days ;) The goggles that I absolutely love are the Sky Eyes from Chutingstar (http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/sky-eyes-goggles. They fit really comfortably over my glasses and don't cut off circulation to my face!

And could yo enlighten me as to what a Palynoligist is?

As for palynology, in my day job I study fossil pollen and reconstruct palaeoenvironments. Its a science thing. I may not be cool in the skydiving world, but as a student skydiver, I'm pretty darn up there on the cool scale in the palynology world ;)