drop-bear

Lingard, "The Performance and Design of Ram-Air Gliding Parachutes"

Does anyone know where to get a copy of J.S. Lingard, "The Performance and Design of Ram-Air Gliding Parachutes", RAE Technical Report TR 81103 (1981)? Was hoping that the National Aerospace Library would have it available for purchase, but it is not listed there, and all my googling attempts have come up with nothing. Thanks.

Hi Lee,
That thread was actually the one that got me interested in trying to track down "The Performance and Design of Ram-Air Gliding Parachutes". The link there is for the "Precision Aerial Delivery Seminar, Ram-Air Parachute Design", which was a really interesting read, and lists "The Performance and Design of Ram-Air Gliding Parachutes" as reference 3. Poynter volume 1 also says it is worth reading.
Thanks,
- Luke

The closest I have in digital format is "Ram Air Parachute Design" by Lingard in 1995, at the AIAA Aerodynamic Decelerator Systems Technology Conference. The website for that conference had (when I looked a few years back) a very few of the older conference papers available free, and it included that one.

He gave a presentation at some PIA symposium around 1990, based on his 1980s work, so some paper copies of that may exist. Not sure where my copy is at the moment.

Here is another link that I don't know if you guys want or not, but rather than being silent here it is: D.J. Cockrell

Another resource: AIAA

The problem is since I retired, many of these sites I can't get into as an alumni. But that does mean perhaps some young buck in college can get to these sites via their student academic status.

I don't want to be perceived here as a know it all, just sharing some experience, but many of these papers can be found by just asking the authors for them. It can be a real pain once they make it to some of the association sites.

C

Hope this helps? Let me know. :)

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

While I'm on a roll, if anyone is near Ohio, you might like the following reference for future use:

Dave Gold

I realize you didn't ask for this so I hope I don't appear too "whatever" but I just wanted to put this out there before I forget.

C

Thanks guys. There is a lot of interesting looking papers at AIAA, though they're not exactly cheap, basically one jump ticket each (then again, maybe i'm just being cheap here). They do have Lingard, "The Aerodynamics of Gliding Parachutes", 1986. Haven't read it fully yet, but layout and content looks extremely similar to the freely available PADS link above. The free Cockrell paper looks like it has a lot of information. I've got absolutely zero background in anything aero related (and barely any more jumps than zero), but i just find trying to understand this a little better to be really interesting. Thanks again.

I sent them an email requesting access at the student rate of 25 bucks, that AIAA group that is. It looks like anyone who is a "student" can join. I wonder if some of our first jump students qualify? Many times if there is enough interest those organizations will accept their outside volunteer organizations requests for free, all it takes is just a little effort and a promise that you don't post it on the internet. Sharing is generally ok but they try to make their money by selling to those that can afford it like UPT and other places with deep pockets. The math is something that when I read much of this I am glad I decided long ago that that was too much work. But it does have it's place in understanding much about how things work. I found it fascinating That Lingard is working on supersonic canopies for what is left of NASA. Thanks for your request!
C

You can sign up to get an AIAA login without becoming a member and without being a student. The couple papers i bought where then $25 non-member price. But you are not meant to then share these; the pdfs are watermarked with your name and the time you downloaded it.

ETA: Why the hell am i at home on DZ.com, and not at the boogie jumping right now? Damn i am lazy sometimes :S

Thanks.

If your referencing Perris I hear they had a really bad start. And my most profound condolences, what a shitty way to start the new year.

If your talking about madness, my girlfriend won't let me go, so have fun!

C