maxroper

Advice on container

Hey everyone!

I am about to purchase a new Voodoo Curv and there is no reviews on it yet here and so I just wanted to see if anyone has one and what they think of it.

I have 60 jumps so I am a beginner and it will be my first full rig. :)

Thanks in advance!

~Max

i wish i was a freeflyer, because im not necessarily utlizing it for its real design but even doing nothing but wingsuit flying this is hands down the most comfortable, amazing, sexy ass rig ive ever seen or owned. i dig javelins as well, but with military discount i got a rediculous deal on a VC1, and was sold.

i definitely recommend the curve, however they are not very forgiving with range of canopy size - for instance my VC1 was built for a 120 and with my pilot 132 in there i had to slightly lengthen the closing loop and theres no way in hell i could get anything bigger in there....................some of the containers out there can accomidate canopies from 120-150 for example..........
anyways enjoy
gravity brings me down.........

Oops... I thought you were looking for quotes to have embroidered on the side walls. Was gonna say
"Never give up"
"Put your best foot forward"
"Die trying"

Regarding the Curv though: I love mine. It fits great, has some new features, looks great, and just sticks to my form whichever way I move.

Max: the challenge you may have is that, depending on your weight, the Curv may not be available in larger sizes yet for larger canopies. I believe the larger container is setup for a 170 main and reserve size. This might be fine for you, but don't pick a rig that can't fit a canopy that you need.
Remster

I'd probably recommend getting a used cheaper rig that you can gain some experience on. And work towards downsizing canopies to something that you'll be happy for a while on before buying a new container.

If money is no object then buy gear (the curv is a nice container) but the gear you jumping now is probably bigger than the one you'll want to be jumping in 300 jumps time.

Containers are flexible enough to hold a variety of sizes but when you learning you'll probably have a few rough landings - grass stain the leg pads, roll in the dirt but eventually you'll want to downsize as experience increase.

If its made on the mid range of sizes it can accommodate. The larger canopies in there to start with may make it a struggle to pack to start with.

Its a big investment - buy what you are happy to jump with now. Used gear that is suitable for your experience can always be sold later.

maxroper

Hey everyone!

I am about to purchase a new Voodoo Curv and there is no reviews on it yet here and so I just wanted to see if anyone has one and what they think of it.

I have 60 jumps so I am a beginner and it will be my first full rig. :)

Thanks in advance!

~Max

Congratulations, many here including me are going to be envious of your purchase!

Personally I might have tried on a few rigs so that you can actually experience all that the various manufacturers have to offer. Forgive me if you have already done this, I just am a little fuzzy about that point from the information you have provided, and that would be my recommendation if it's not too late. There are some differences in body types and some containers and this subject from reading multiple descriptions in the past seems to be a personal preference for many. I don't use a Curve at the moment but for me it was very comfortable and I did try a few on when I had the opportunity.

C

I do want to mention that many have their favorite brands and sometimes the reviews in the review section are from the manufacturers themselves, but given time many here are more than willing to help in any way they can. I suggest if you have a more specific question about particular features feel free to ask about them as well.

Another concern is that many containers are new to the market and for most it is difficult to purchase two or more rigs. This means that it is difficult to make comparisons about equipment. And unlike Car and Driver or Consumer reports getting an unbiased comparison is difficult, just be aware of this....:)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Don't take advice from someone that has done only one tandem.
That would be Chrisd.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Thanks so much for this...

I am in this "demo program" at my home DZ Perris and so I get to try out all of the containers they have, I have tried Mirage, Talon, etc. etc. and obviously none of it was built for me so they all fit bad.

I love all the features on the Curv so I think thats the best choice, but we will see. I am going to get a Sabre 190 and they are closed till Jan 6th so I cant see if they can make it fit in there.

Thanks so much!

beat me to it leon =)

not sure if you can fit a 190 into the VC4, but again call and ask them. as i stated, their containers are extremely unforgiving with up/downsizing and are built very specifically for certain sizes. youll see why when you close your curve, it fits together like a smooth white glove, kind of like the one they found during the OJ simpson investigation. maybe youll have to downsize to a 170 ? just kidding. (or am i)

RI will know best
gravity brings me down.........

maxroper

Thanks so much! :)

Why do you think I need to go with another rig till I can downsize to for the Curv? I understand of course downsizing and everything, but what would be wrong with getting the Curv as my first rig?

That's a lot of container for a Newbie, Max. Some thoughts:

**There's no D-ring handle for the reserve. During a malfunction, fully articulated Harnesses can shift the handles around your torso, a lot. Especially for a new, scared jumper facing your sudden first cutaway? That could get you hurt/killed.

**They've got hip & chest articulations. Put a gouge in one of those shiny pieces of metal, & you'll be replacing harness part$... You could do that during a rough landing, or simply mishandling it, elsewhere.

**There are lots of nice embroidery & color options for that rig. Being your first rig, you will be making quite a few lousy landings as you face new situations. You'll be doing your share of tumbling & sliding in it. Rocks, mud, & tarmac can make quite a mess. Fifty jumps from now, that nice new container isn't gonna look so nice N new. You're probably going to tear it up.

**Most likely, you'll be wanting to downsize your main after another 50-100 jumps. You might be able to do that w/a Curve, but may not be happy w/the new fit. It appears that most other containers would better tolerate a downsizing (look less scrunched up/deformed w/a smaller main in them.).

**They're only sized for up to a 170. Even if possible, you wouldn't want to be cursing & fussing at every pack job. Your packing is already probably challenging enough.

**Are the VC4s even shipping, yet?

**You're going to take a big hit on depreciation when reselling it.

Now, contrast all the above points w/the following: You could buy a used container that still looks nice, & is perfectly safe. Jump it for 100-200 jumps, & then resell it for about the same amount you bought it for. You'd save thousand$, while learning your personal preferences in gear. If it was just the extra money, & you had it to burn? I'd say go enjoy it. The safety considerations give me pause, though. Talk to your instructors at the DZ. They know your current level of needs, best.

Good Luck w/whatever you decide.

maxroper

Thanks so much! :)

Why do you think I need to go with another rig till I can downsize to for the Curv? I understand of course downsizing and everything, but what would be wrong with getting the Curv as my first rig?

My first setup cost me $3,000 for everything...container (Wings), main (Spectre 190), reserve (PDR 176), and AAD (cypres I with 1.5 years left). If you buy the Curv new, that's approximately $2,600 after shipping, options, etc. You haven't even purchased a main, reserve, or Cypres yet, only another $2,500 if you're lucky. You don't know if you're going to stick with the sport. So in your pursuit of something "shiny & new" you've chucked common sense out the window.

My advice stands. Buy a used rig, learn to fly your canopy, learn to LAND your canopy, downsize to the point where you want to stay, THEN buy a new container. You will literally save thousands of dollars.

EDIT: To prove a point, my Vc1 will suit me for the next half dozen downsizings due to the canopy volume differences between regular and cross braced canopies. That's the next 5 years or so.

I spent close to 7k on my first rig if I remember correctly...I still love it. I have two rigs now. If you want a brand new rig for your first one you are going to have people telling you not to but it's your decision to make. I love both my wings and vector rigs and they are drastically different in main size.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

PiLFy

***Thanks so much! :)

**There's no D-ring handle for the reserve. During a malfunction, fully articulated Harnesses can shift the handles around your torso, a lot. Especially for a new, scared jumper facing your sudden first cutaway? That could get you hurt/killed.

Incorrrect. You can order a metal ripcord handle as an option.

**They've got hip & chest articulations. Put a gouge in one of those shiny pieces of metal, & you'll be replacing harness part$... You could do that during a rough landing, or simply mishandling it, elsewhere.

If you land so hard and poorly that you can dent stainless, you can probably nick the webbing too.

**There are lots of nice embroidery & color options for that rig. Being your first rig, you will be making quite a few lousy landings as you face new situations. You'll be doing your share of tumbling & sliding in it. Rocks, mud, & tarmac can make quite a mess. Fifty jumps from now, that nice new container isn't gonna look so nice N new. You're probably going to tear it up.

That's true if most rigs these days. That being said, the Curv dont come with 200 options. Yes, like any rig you can add embroidery, but they come fully loaded as standard.

**Most likely, you'll be wanting to downsize your main after another 50-100 jumps. You might be able to do that w/a Curve, but may not be happy w/the new fit. It appears that most other containers would better tolerate a downsizing (look less scrunched up/deformed w/a smaller main in them.).

Or, he may not want to downsize. And RI is right in making sure their recommendation dont lead to overstuff rigs.

**They're only sized for up to a 170. Even if possible, you wouldn't want to be cursing & fussing at every pack job. Your packing is already probably challenging enough.

The VC4 are sized up to a 190 depending on the canopy pack volume.

**Are the VC4s even shipping, yet?

If it's on their volume chart, they've built them. Not sure about overall availability.

**You're going to take a big hit on depreciation when reselling it.

True of any new rig.

Now, contrast all the above points w/the following: You could buy a used container that still looks nice, & is perfectly safe. Jump it for 100-200 jumps, & then resell it for about the same amount you bought it for. You'd save thousand$, while learning your personal preferences in gear. If it was just the extra money, & you had it to burn? I'd say go enjoy it. The safety considerations give me pause, though. Talk to your instructors at the DZ. They know your current level of needs, best.

Good Luck w/whatever you decide.

Yep. A used rig is, IMO, always a better financial decision for a 1st rig. This being said, a new rig is not a bad overall decision either.
Remster

Everybody's got an opinion...

Fair enough. Didn't know they offered a D-ring for the reserve. He could nick the hardware some other ways through inexperience. The Curve is a very pretty rig. Give it the standard Noob <100 jumps treatment, & it won't be. I'd thought the only 190 that might fit in a VC4, would be a Pulse (or maybe a Silhouette). New packers struggle mightily to fit the preferred size in the bag. If an experienced packer can barely get a too large canopy in there. It's just asking for frustration & possible Mals for a new jumper to struggle w/it.

I don't want to argue about it. Both our opinions are valid. It's his bank account & Butt. I'm sure we both wish him luck.

Everybody's got an opinion...

Totally agree. But I like the facts to be right ;)

PS: I personally do not find the Curv to be that pretty (it's not ugly either). I'm still ordering one. Aesthetics shouldn't be at the top of a decision chart IMO.
Remster