orbital

Newbie, I checked for a FAQ so I guess Ill ask!

Im sorry im sure you've heard questions like this all the time. Ive never skydived before, any tips suggestions, etc. IM a poor college student, should i just go straight for trying to get my license or fall without tandem.
Also, im heavy, does weight matter alot?
I weigh 300 pounds, is that too much?
Any info will be greatly appreciated! sorry i looked for a newbie section!

Your weight does matter, but what matters a lot more is your physical ability. Are you athletic, like a football linemen, etc?
Skydiving is a very athletic sport, although on the surface it may not seem to be. Also, at that weight you more then likely will not be able to do a tandem, no matter your physical ability, it simply exceeds the equipment's rating, although, depending on the DZ, they may have a student rig (parachute) that will be appropiate. I know some have converted tadem rigs they use for the big boys.
Something to consider, if this is a sport that you truely want to pursue, you may want to consider trying to trim up a bit, as I found out (I'm a big boy too), the speed you skydive at is directly proportional to your weight and height. Since I weigh 245lbs and stand 6'1" I fall faster then the majority of other jumpers out there, making skydiving with more then one person much harder.
I too am a broke college student, when I started I knew that this was a sport that I wanted to do, so I never did a tandem jump. The training program I went through was the Static Line program, since it was much less expensive per jump then the other training programs (atleast at the DZ I went to).
Also, you may want to call the DZ that you would be going to and talk to them, they could give you better advice specifically for you, then we can over the internet.
Good Luck! :)A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

So i guess im just gonna have to wait, lose some weight?

That'd be my recommendation. Besides the fact that many dz's don't have gear that will carry someone your size - solo or tandem - while you're doing your student jumps, the only harness/container systems available for someone 300 pounds are converted tandem systems, which are very expensive.
Get down to 250 or less and you should be able to find a dz that has student gear that will work for you, plus you'll have more and less expensive choices when it comes time to buy your own rig.
Have you explored this website yet? You'll find answers to most of your questions in the Gear and Safety sections (click on the links at the top of the page).
pull & flare,
lisa
[subliminal msg]My website Go Now[/subliminal msg]

I was 245lbs when I decided I wanted to skydive. In Colorado it was a little more difficult because of the altitude. (the higher you are the less density there is to slow your fall) For that reason I had to get my weight down to 225lbs. You will find it very discouraging for a while because us big guys are somewhat frowned at. All I ever hear is how I need to loose more weight. Well when I finished OCS for the Air Force I weighed 215lbs at my prime. I am in better shape than most of the guys I jump with. With this in mind, don't let others get you down. Just keep at it. Don't give up on this if it is what you really want to do. You may even need to buy an old tandem rig and have a riger set it up for you. (try to loose weight and get in shape first if your not already in shape) Then you can sell the gear after your training and get something smaller if you prefer. I asked a lot of questions and still do about weight because TSO standards are only tested to 252 lbs. Big guys need to watch what they buy. Don't hesitate to send me an email or PM if you have other questions.
AGGIEDAVE- I PM'd you. Don't know if you got it?

I know tons of big Dudes that skydive. One bought his own rig and had it modified to have student like deployment apparatus.
One dude I know was nuthing but gristle. You know- hard as a rock, steroids or something. Nice guy... Anyway, his only deal was he had so much muscle going on it was hard for him to arch and fly around. He dealt with this and I see him all the time -still nothing but gristle. Nice guy still, too.
So, I believe you will be ok if you talk to the right persons and get the correct answers.
If my dog insists on being the weight he is then I have to lose weight or else we will be loading my canopy too much.
Ann ~ www.AirAnn.com
Anyone want a Kitten?