Safelandings

Weight of G3 helmet?

I weighed my XXL (yes I have a big head) G3 with my ProTrack in it. It weighed 1 lb 15 ounces-ish.

It does feel heavier than that to me. But, I used my digital food scale and weighed it a bunch of times. I also compared it to my 3 lbs laptop and it is lighter.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

wicodefly

I weighed my XXL (yes I have a big head) G3 with my ProTrack in it. It weighed 1 lb 15 ounces-ish.

It does feel heavier than that to me. But, I used my digital food scale and weighed it a bunch of times. I also compared it to my 3 lbs laptop and it is lighter.

Thanks I appreciate that. That's more of the response I was looking for.

mcordell

***Does anyone know the weight of the G3 helmet? I didn't see it in the information on any of the sites.

In freefall it should be about 0 :P

If you've stopped accelerating (at a constant, terminal velocity), then it will be normal weight.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

mcordell

***Does anyone know the weight of the G3 helmet? I didn't see it in the information on any of the sites.

In freefall it should be about 0 :P

Have you ever been in freefall? Sorry, but this is so completely wrong it sounds like something a whuffo would say. You ever hear of weight belts? They still have a weight in freefall. So do you. So does your helmet.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Safelandings

***I weighed my XXL (yes I have a big head) G3 with my ProTrack in it. It weighed 1 lb 15 ounces-ish.

Thanks I appreciate that. That more of the response I was looking for.

NP. I haven't jumped it yet and can't wait to (weather has been yucky here)! It's very comfortable. I jump a large in the two other helmets I have an Oxygn and a Benny. It's about the same as the Oxygn.

Hope

sundevil777

In freefall it should be about 0

Maybe so.

Definitely not

And from the111:

Have you ever been in freefall? Sorry, but this is so completely wrong it sounds like something a whuffo would say. You ever hear of weight belts? They still have a weight in freefall. So do you. So does your helmet.

Ok, because I'm bored here in the frozen north on a Saturday night, I'll bite. The helmet or any other normal object along for the skydive will always have the same mass for the whole jump. But weight and mass are not the same thing. During acceleration it and the weight belt will be weightless. When terminal velocity is reached and you are in a steady fall it will have the same weight as it does on the ground. During opening deceleration it will have an increased weight on your neck. This is my understanding of the basic physics involved. However I am a truck driver with a grade 8 education in my real life, so bring it on. Where am I incorrect?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Safelandings

***I weighed my XXL (yes I have a big head) G3 with my ProTrack in it. It weighed 1 lb 15 ounces-ish.

Thanks I appreciate that. That more of the response I was looking for.

You might think about growing some thicker skin. :S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

gowlerk

Ok, because I'm bored here in the frozen north on a Saturday night, I'll bite. The helmet or any other normal object along for the skydive will always have the same mass for the whole jump. But weight and mass are not the same thing. During acceleration it and the weight belt will be weightless. When terminal velocity is reached and you are in a steady fall it will have the same weight as it does on the ground. During opening deceleration it will have an increased weight on your neck. This is my understanding of the basic physics involved. However I am a truck driver with a grade 8 education in my real life, so bring it on. Where am I incorrect?

For the most part, that is correct, although you are using a slightly less technical definition of "weight," referred to here as "weight2."

According to the more technical definition, "weight1," your weight is the same throughout the entire skydive, even when not at terminal. It is only related to gravitation and mass.

The salient point is that under either definition, your helmet does have weight at terminal velocity (which is what most skydivers mean when they say "in freefall" since that describes 95% of a jump). If anybody doubts that, have a discussion with one of the big names in camera flying about what it feels like to wear one of those 40-lb Hollywood film reel camera helmets in freefall. ;) Yes, the openings are obviously worrisome, but even the freefall is a huge challenge, due to the weight of the setup. My camera helmet "only" weighs about a quarter of that, but I can sense its weight in freefall very easily.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

There isn't any significant difference in weight between a G3 and your average skydiving helmet. The weight shouldn't be a factor between this helmet and others.
The G3 sizing is a bit more peculiar than most helmets so do your best to physically try one on instead of measuring your head and ordering.
My wife jumps a G3 and I've tried it for a few skydives. I personally prefer an open face helmet with a chincup. I have a Rawa Image and its super comfortable. Chincups are great if you want to shoot video (when you get to 200 jumps that is) because they eliminate a lot of shake. I also find the chincup is more comfortable than under the jaw buckle designs because the strap can pull against your throat. Chincups transmit any windblast from hard plastic to bone so its pretty comfortable. Under the jaw designs would definitely suck if your helmet catches a line during deployment.
The other major factor is your sensory experience on the skydive. Full Face helmets remove you from the windblast. Some people like this because wind in your face is a distraction. Some people don't like this because wind in your face is an obvious part of the skydiving experience. This should be the biggest reason why you choose the type of helmet before you narrow down the brand. Whatever you decide on I highly recommend that you only consider helmets with internal audible pockets. I've had issues hearing audibles with every helmet I've ever used with an external design.

The111

Somehow it still amazes me to see the responses you can get on this forum. "oh my god! someone posted something that is either technically incorrect or differs from my own opinion. Everybody stand by while I talk down to them."

Yes I have been in freefall. Obviously....this is a skydiving forum. It was intended as a joke...but maybe without the funny part. Yea yea I know things still have weight in freefall, however freefall IS used to simulate weightlessness albeit in the interior of a plane so there is no wind and yes I know it's the acceleration to terminal velocity that simulates weightlessness, however that is still freefall since we are being technical.

lighten up....smile occasionally...unless you have bad teeth and then maybe grin with your lips closed
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

We are not always talking down, weel sometimes I do, but not always....

Thanks for the reminder about how sensitive others can be when someone like a big dick like myself can be perceived wrongly.
Apologies!

C

HEY Kelly Roy"""""

Just curious, how come your askin? About how much it weighs?
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

If it matters to the OP at all, I jumped my new G3 this weekend (I'm the one with the giant XXL head...). It was great; I can see why everyone loves them. A little uncomfortable at first (I wasn't use to the chinstrap), but I quickly got used to it and it worked great. Visibility was awesome, closing was nice and smooth and it was warm inside the helmet on a cold day.

Weight wasn't an issue at all and it was easy to open and close and did not fog up in colder weather like my other helmet does. It was awesome.

The only thing I learned about it was to open it at landing before picking up your canopy If not it's almost impossible (at least for me) to open it after I'm carrying my canopy.

Blue skies!

mattjw916

I'd suggest opening the visor after clearing your airspace and collapsing your slider under canopy... the visor is definitely not optically correct. ;)

Try it out sometime.

Good point. I did open up under canopy yesterday, it was a little cold here (in the 30's, so I closed it back up). Distortion didn't look too bad to me except at the sides. Definitely a good point.

I'd suggest opening the visor after clearing your airspace and collapsing your slider under canopy... the visor is definitely not optically correct.

This may be an inapplicable comment, but, since it happened to me, I thought I'd make it anyway, just in case:

On my first jump in my G3, I had the same issue -- everything looked distorted through the lens after I opened. I had to flip it up just to make sure I was seeing everything correctly.

I mentioned this to some buddies after I came in, and said that maybe I needed to get a new visor. One of them looked at it --- and peeled a thin plastic film off my visor that Cookie had placed there to protect it from damage while shipping.

Ya. Embarrassing. But it totally solved the problem.