ludikris

sponsorship canopy ?

Always thought to myself… surely some company out there would pay some amount of money to have their logo on a canopy that would advertise for them … Given the longevity of a Main canopy etc..

Anyone had any success with this ??

just curious..

signed- broke ass skydiver. :P

ludikris

Always thought to myself… surely some company out there would pay some amount of money to have their logo on a canopy that would advertise for them … Given the longevity of a Main canopy etc..

Anyone had any success with this ??

just curious..

signed- broke ass skydiver. :P

1st you have to make a sponsor me video
BASE 1519

surely some company out there would pay some amount of money to have their logo on a canopy that would advertise for them …

The canopy is the easy part. Jumping it somewhere that it get's the right exposure to the right number of people to make it worth the company's while is the hard part.

There must be 50 or 100 Red Bull logo skydiving and BASE canopies out there. The Red Bull guys jump into major sporting events, and almost every Nascar race. They're also at all the big BASE events, and they video everything and post it all online. Red Bull gets good exposure to the right number of people.

How are you going to match that?

We had a sponsor that not only paid for the Set400 canopy with their logo, but also compensated us in the 5 figure range annually to have that canopy jumped in front of 'X' number of people at 'Y' number of venues...

It can lead to a snowball effect, with that kind of sponsorship you can lower your demo costs which gets you more demos...which gets you more $ from more performances annually and more $$ from the sponsor for more exposure.

$kydiving can bee berry berry good to you, when marketed correctly ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

And for the trivia folks; the very first sponsorship canopy was a 28 ft Pioneer 1.6 with a 7UP logo painted into it.

That was in 1963 and Ted Mayfield jumped it.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Then in 1964 they bought him a complete CrossBow rig with a 7UP painted in the XBO canopy. At a meet in 1965 his picture was taken and that photo ended up on the cover of SKYDIVER magazine. Canopy sponsorship took after that; folks only had to show that magazine cover to potential sponsors and they started handing over the money.

Being a newbie (still am) and wanting to make as many jumps possible, and at the time buy a rig. I have since got my own rig. But I work in a convenience store, and had access to several corporations and their representatives. . I have proposed to Shell Oil company sponsoring me. ( I went all the way to the top level). They always laugh. I say Ok if not me then how about people i know with more jumps and lots of ratings and glamorous, if not me sponsor them . Always they end it with laughing. I have talked with Hershey corporation. Anheuser-Bush.. Miller Brewing. Philip Morris. Rj Reynolds, Coke, Pepsi, PTC Communications. and some I am sure I have forgotten. I was on a mission at one point, knowing I would get a yes. . At one point I even offered to go in 70% for the making of the parachute if they would sponsor my jumps. They usually keep a straight face until I look at them with anticipation for some sort of glimmer of a yes and its always been just a shake of the head and a laugh. So i have 250 jumps I tried desperately for a year and half, even going past thinking of myself ,and looking toward some of my instructors at least qualifying for sponsorship but no luck. I haven't tried in about 3 months. I had another unsuccessful video meeting with Shell where they pretended not to hear me when I asked did they get my proposal once again on the parachute sponsorship. Instead wanting to talk about their new Fuel reward program. Maybe I will give it a go again when the weather warms up.

Amyr

Being a newbie (still am) and wanting to make as many jumps possible, and at the time buy a rig. I have since got my own rig. But I work in a convenience store, and had access to several corporations and their representatives. . I have proposed to Shell Oil company sponsoring me. ( I went all the way to the top level). They always laugh. I say Ok if not me then how about people i know with more jumps and lots of ratings and glamorous, if not me sponsor them . Always they end it with laughing. I have talked with Hershey corporation. Anheuser-Bush.. Miller Brewing. Philip Morris. Rj Reynolds, Coke, Pepsi, PTC Communications. and some I am sure I have forgotten. I was on a mission at one point, knowing I would get a yes. . At one point I even offered to go in 70% for the making of the parachute if they would sponsor my jumps. They usually keep a straight face until I look at them with anticipation for some sort of glimmer of a yes and its always been just a shake of the head and a laugh. So i have 250 jumps I tried desperately for a year and half, even going past thinking of myself ,and looking toward some of my instructors at least qualifying for sponsorship but no luck. I haven't tried in about 3 months. I had another unsuccessful video meeting with Shell where they pretended not to hear me when I asked did they get my proposal once again on the parachute sponsorship. Instead wanting to talk about their new Fuel reward program. Maybe I will give it a go again when the weather warms up.

You're hitting them with a 'pay for my jumps' proposal...they didn't get where they are on mahogany row by throwing money at someone 'else' to play.

You'll never find sponsorship like that - what you have to do is have a rock solid proposal outlining what YOU can do for THEM!

I will get your message in front of a desirable target market in a manner that is exciting and memorable...at a venue in which 75% of attendees are taking photographs that they'll later share with family & friends, as well as the local (or national, or international) media coverage - yada yada yada.

~ You're message will have an 'X' cost per exposure..which is 1/10th of what you are paying for single page magazine (or billboard or whatever) for similar exposure...

You have to have solid numbers and have done the research...you also have to be able to somewhat guarantee YOUR end - - in other words you need to have a provable track record of successfully jumping in front of large enough audiences to make the expenditure viable from a corporate marketing standpoint.

For example: If you can say - Cumutively last year I jumped 100 times in front of 3.7 million people for a total of 11.6 hours of 'in air' exposure...if you give me 'X' $ ...your CPM (cost per thousand) will be 'Y'.

~ Proposals of that nature they understand and it makes sense...SOMETIMES...you also have to take into account that you are asking them to put their name on a possible tragic incident. 'Bad Publicity' is a genuine concern, as is legal liability...issues you have to be ready to address.

Again, a rock solid provable track record of success will weigh strongly in your favor regarding the 'selling' of any proposal...Red Bull uses the top guys in the sport for a reason. I get demos because I have 35+ years experience doing large venue gigs and have never had an incident or accident.

It's possible...but it's damn tough to do. You need to do your homework and make your bones first. ;)

"being a newbie and wanting to make as many jumps as possible" and have someone else pay, would be nice...but it's not realistic.

I did set up a scenario with the large crowd looking above them and seeing EX. PCI communications in large letters above the sky. And how many people would see this. And how they would be one of the few company's with their own parachute. I did not go into the depth you are describing. I went as far as costs i would accrue on my end on their behalf. But realistically, I did not go into the depth you described. Perhaps given more work on my end as far as research I could pull this off or someone could.

Amyr

I did set up a scenario with the large crowd looking above them and seeing EX. PCI communications in large letters above the sky. And how many people would see this. And how they would be one of the few company's with their own parachute. I did not go into the depth you are describing. I went as far as costs i would accrue on my end on their behalf. But realistically, I did not go into the depth you described. Perhaps given more work on my end as far as research I could pull this off or someone could.

You are 'selling' them a product..actually a service but same thing ~ you need to show actual value & need for that product.

That's YOUR homework to do so to speak...and these guys deal in real numbers with provable results.

They have a certain amount of money to spend...IF you can show them how spending a % of it on you makes better marketing $ense than elsewhere...you're IN! B|;)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

And for the trivia folks; the very first sponsorship canopy was a 28 ft Pioneer 1.6 with a 7UP logo painted into it.

That was in 1963 and Ted Mayfield jumped.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Then in 1964 they bought him a complete CrossBow rig with a 7UP painted in the XBO canopy. At a meet in 1965 his picture was taken and that photo ended up on the cover of SKYDIVER magazine. Canopy sponsorship took after that; folks only had to show that magazine cover to potential sponsors and they started handing over the money.

Hmmm.... You wouldn't have a copy of that magazine around would you Jerry?? I've got an old PC I bought used... the center panel was weak so I pulled it off and replaced it. Kept the panel though and put it in a frame cause I liked the 7-UP logo painted on it...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Hi Jim,

I no longer have that magazine.

But I do know that Dan Poynter does.

I seriously doubt that you can get it from him, but he might just make a copy of the cover and Cameron's comments inside for you.

Ted eventually went on to have them buy him a number of ParaCommanders with the 7UP logo in the rear center panel. It will show up real well while under canopy.

Shoot me a PM or email & I'll give you Ted's phone number and you can talk to him about your effort.

JerryBaumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

That was in 1963 and Ted Mayfield jumped it.

JerryBaumchen

Didn’t Ted also have a deal with Reiner Ale? Ted was quite the shuck and jive artist.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I went as far as costs i would accrue on my end on their behalf. But realistically, I did not go into the depth you described. Perhaps given more work on my end as far as research I could pull this off or someone could.

Again, realize that how much you spend, or how well you can describe what you're offering them, unless your offer makes sense financially for them, it's just not going to happen.

You could be a non-jumper, and offer to learn to skydive, get a license, buy a container/reserve, and make enough jumps to be qualified to do a small demo. This would take 6 months and $10,000, but they're still not going to buy you a $2500 logo canopy so you can jump it into a company picnic with 75 people attending.

Conversely, you could offer to spend nothing, and if you were a qualified demo jumper, you could get a company to buy you a logo canopy, matching rig, jumpsuit and helmet, and pay for the aircraft/pilot and your time if you could show them a contract you have to fly the American flag during the Star Spangled Banner at 15 major league baseball games.

See? It's all about what they get for their money. That's all they care about. Show them that the dollars make sense with regards to the amount of exposure they're going to get, and you have a foot in the door. Even then you need to find the right executive on the right day who is willing to take a chance on something as crazy as skydiving-based advertising.