uberchris

military assistance

hi. has anyone ever used either military tuition assistance, or the post 911 gi bill to go through a 2 week basic riggers course?

i was thinking about this and would LOVE to use the financial resources available to me while im still active duty
gravity brings me down.........

Dave DeWolf does military personal getting civilian rating/training. I have the impression they are SF types getting the knowledge for the civilian type rigs they use. I don't know if these are on their own or on military assignment to get the training. Maybe some of the military/ex-military type on here can help. Contact Dave at Paraloft.com and ask.

But I have never heard of anyone using GI bill benefits to do rigger training. Your not the first to ask or try.

Our local Western Michigan University has an aviation dept that includes pilot and non-pilot programs. I recently met one of the Designated Mechanic Examiners from there at a FAA technical examiner meeting. I half jokingly suggested putting together a rigger program with in the Aviation department. They train most every other type of airman. I haven't pursued it particularly since the overhead of trying to set one up may be unreasonable in time/effort/finding monetary support etc. But I may still have a discussion with the Dean.

Only way I see it is as an add on to their more extensive programs. I don't know what it would take in terms of semesters of class time to earn a senior ticket. Pilot program types become flight instructors to log hours toward commercial and ATP ratings. Don't see enough opportunity for senior riggers to gain experience for Master.

USAPR sounds official in name only. AFAIK they have no affiliation or more "accreditation" than any other training.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

AFAIK they have no affiliation or more "accreditation" than any other training.

And that is the kicker, to use your GI Bill or your one time certification moneys, the training needs to be accredited, which none that I have found are. It takes a lot of money and time to get those credentials.

I do believe you can use some of your GI Bill to pay for the FAA tests that are required, but he training isn't covered.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Not sure what branch or MOS/AFSC you're in, but the Air Force will give you days off (permissive TDY) to get education/ratings that can complement your job. If you have a commander that is a little more open minded you'd probably be able to at least get the time off for a course since some of those skills could apply to almost any job.

HeadFirstDave

Not sure what branch or MOS/AFSC you're in, but the Air Force will give you days off (permissive TDY) to get education/ratings that can complement your job. If you have a commander that is a little more open minded you'd probably be able to at least get the time off for a course since some of those skills could apply to almost any job.

Morning, Dave.

I didn't see your post until today... Yes, there is a big push to get workforce credentialing in the Army also. Here is the online version. https://www.cool.army.mil/
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

On-the-job and apprenticeship training: Pays a monthly benefit amount prorated based on time in program and up to $83 per month for books and supplies.

I jumped through the hoops in 1969/70 to get the first 4 years on the Fire Dept. accepted as an apprenticeship program.

The place that gives the training has to develop training plan outlining the course of study, hours on each topic and goals of the course.

It took me 7 months running back and forth between the Dept. Training Chief and the VA. But when it was finally approved they paid me back benefits and it lasted 4 years.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ditto some of the already mentioned info.

But how much time do you have?

http://www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/whatsnew/eta_default.cfm?id=6035

I have heard of a few creative individuals navigating through this hell hole and being successful. For some really off the wall courses and training things. Mostly for EPA type jobs, but it all depends upon how you word your application, when you get to that stage.
C

And there is this:
http://www.careeronestop.org/ReEmployment/Veterans/EducationandTraining/back-to-school.aspx

The story I heard was that they were able to put together a "certificate" education package for the "Aircraft Inspector" position / classification. But be warned navigating this is not for the feint of heart as a lot of work has to be done solely by you.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I've tried everything and I could not get them to pay for it. Out of pocket is the only way to go with a rigger's ticket. I dont know where youre stationed but if you have jumpers at your base get with their rigger shop. Our riggers are all FAA master riggers as well as military riggers...jumpers too. That's what I've been doing, they've let me get some good practice in before I go to the rigger's course.